Light switch ideas

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Light switch ideas

Postby earl84 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:03 pm

I am still working on my Grumman 2 design TD, started a build thread but got real annoyed with trying to figure out how to easily add photos, so sort of took a break from posting updates until I can figure out how to do it without 5 steps.

Anyway, I am to the point where I need to get light switches on order for upcoming electrical install. Near each door I will potentially have 4 switches; dome light, porch light, reading light, and fan. I have done some looking, but I can't really seem to find any good boxes or other way of mounting 4 switches in a row. Does anybody have any ideas, pictures, links on how to best do this?
earl84
Donating Member

Re: Light switch ideas

Postby les45 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:07 pm

All my lights had built in switches. With the close confines inside the cabin it was no problem reaching up to the light to turn on/off. It also greatly simplifies the wiring.
les45
500 Club

Postby yrock87 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:08 pm

les45 wrote:All my lights had built in switches. With the close confines inside the cabin it was no problem reaching up to the light to turn on/off. It also greatly simplifies the wiring.

seconded. my exterior lights I wired to interior switches, but everything else I activate by reaching to the device itself. I placed an interior light midway between the roof vent and wall on each side. it is a perfect location to get to while sitting up in bed or while standing just outside the door.
The SJ Cruiser, my 5x10 Benroy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64944
yrock87
Teardrop Master

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:26 pm

Go wireless! Put your trailer keys on the wireless fob and enjoy! Don't have to worry about mounting switches and regretting the location, and can control every light in the trailer from next to the campfire. I use this setup in my campers.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12v-4-channels- ... 0436683755

Each black box controls one lighting circuit. The black boxes can all be placed in one spot and then (+) and (-) wires go to the lights. Or the black boxes can be placed in separate locations near the intended light fixtures. Just need 12V power into each box, and then 12V comes out the other side. Super easy.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby troubleScottie » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:29 am

If you want a challenge, you can do the same with Arduino -- programmable microprocessor

There are lots of components out there to add to the basic unit.

There are latches (momentary power changes a relay reed between two positions, no power to maintain position). So you can programmatically control what state any device is in (on or off). Definitely not as easy as the buying a solution, but the journey is the fun part. Of course you can add things like mode switching ( specific lights, devices are powered at the same time), complete shutdown ( all off/all on), timed start/stop/duration, a single switch controls several devices, dynamically change what a switch controls, and a touch screen to control everything. There is available source code to do most tasks. You have to develop/design/write to do more complex tasks. Although the arduino uses power, you can program it to sleep when on in use to greatly reduce its power consumption.
Last edited by troubleScottie on Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby earl84 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:36 pm

Thanks for the replies. I think I want to be able to be lazy and just hit the switch from a lying position, haha. I don't think I want traditional RV type fixtures, although that isn't 100% decided yet. Granted, they would probably be easiest to wire, though.

I like the remote ideas, but I will be going a little more traditional and simple. My walls are 3/4" framing with 1/8" interior and exterior skins. Can I drill holes and mounts automotive type rocker switches right into the walls? Are the switches that narrow? Or will it require some sort of box being built to mount a panel that the rocker switches or whatever is mounted into?
earl84
Donating Member

Postby SCwood » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:55 pm

earl84 wrote: My walls are 3/4" framing with 1/8" interior and exterior skins. Can I drill holes and mounts automotive type rocker switches right into the walls? Are the switches that narrow? Or will it require some sort of box being built to mount a panel that the rocker switches or whatever is mounted into?

I had the same setup - 1/8 +3/4 +1/8 and went with rocker switches, but had to build boxes for them. I'd do it again, although I do like the idea of that remote though!
SCwood
Teardrop Advisor

Postby earl84 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:48 am

I like those a lot, SCWood. Mat have to look more into that type of setup..
earl84
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:47 am

Part way down this post you can see my maple switch spacers in progress. I have 3 switches on my side (street side dome, street side porch and small vent fan); 2 on the wife’s side (curb side dome and porch). We each have a pillow light with separate switch located just below, and I used the same mount for another switch for a red foot/night light. I used 90 deg flag terminals to help keep the wire depth as shallow as possible.

Here are some links with more details on how I did it:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?p=1059448#p1059448
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?p=1061005#p1061005
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?p=1062190#p1062190
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?p=1062550#p1062550

The end results:
Pillow Lights

Side Wall Switches:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby earl84 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:45 pm

Nice work, KCStudly! Those look great! I really like the 90 degree terminals, that will save a lot of depth.
earl84
Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:52 pm

KC, those are cool light switches! Nice work.

I took a similar tack with rectangular rocker switches, but installed mine either on a "dashboard" area that is basically along a wire raceway that already had enough depth for power outlets, or flush on an interior cabinet where I had room to build a little box on the back side to hide the wires. Here are some photos.

The dashboard:

The switch here controls the power outlet, which can have a USB charging insert or can be used to plug in electric blankets.

The switches for the reading lamps are on the unit.

The other light switches are near the rear door on the side of the cabinet. These are for the dome lights and exterior porch light.

The upper push button is the remote switch for the inverter, and the central LCD screen is the readout for the solar charge controller.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby booyah » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:04 am

I used these

https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-1202 ... 002UC13NE/

I have .75" thick walls, and without 90 degree terminals was able to wire them up, but they are TIGHT.

90 degree terminals would have been awesome though.

Nice simple clean switches.

I have a these in the camper, drivers side and passengers side. Reading light, outdoor light and 12v/usb chargers on each side
In the galley I have the 2 switch one for the galley light and another 12v/usb charger.

I love em.
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby bobwhite215 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:09 am

I am building a small cabinet/headboard, and will be placing the switches and USB charging ports there. Should be plenty of room for wiring.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
bobwhite215
Teardrop Master

Postby Esteban » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:28 pm

sailorsams.com/Electrical-Switches-and-Panels has single and double rocker switches with a .78" depth that will fit in most framed and insulated teardrop walls. I'll use their double switches by the entry doors to switch the ceiling and porch lights. Will also use them in the galley for the hatch light.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby jandmz » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:44 pm

If you want something a little different from the common rocker switches, you might look at the Carling F Series toggle switches. According to Carling, they are AC rated, but can also be used for low voltage DC. You can drill half inch holes on a blank switch plate, and mount them in a shallow box. http://www.carlingtech.com/toggle-switches-f-series
jandmz
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to General Discussion