What did you do today

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: What did you do today

Postby MickinOz » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:49 pm

Thanks for all the kind words people.
I expect to test negative for Covid, there hasn't been a reported case in the district.
After that I expect to persuade one of these vets up here to treat my strep throat or sinus infection, whichever it is.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby edgeau » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:45 pm

MickinOz wrote:Thanks for all the kind words people.
I expect to test negative for Covid, there hasn't been a reported case in the district.
After that I expect to persuade one of these vets up here to treat my strep throat or sinus infection, whichever it is.
Get in to the Doc and look after yourself

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby MickinOz » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:42 pm

All sorted. The test was easy, if disconcerting. They sure stick that swab a long way up your nose.
They told me I should isolate at home since my reason for requesting the test was that I felt as crook as a dog.
Managed to get in to see ol' mate Dave straight after.

He said he was glad I took the test, saved him the trouble of ordering me to do it. And one day it will be the problem he reckons.
But he said the blood, the inability to swallow, the very sore throat, the headache, the copious amounts of thick yellow sputum (TMI?), the almost complete loss of the ability to speak all add up to a nasty sinus/URTI infection to him.
Prescribed 7 little pills that will fix it all in a week he said.
Oh, and lay off those Oxy's.
Still feel like sh**, but the odds are I will feel better tomorrow! :D
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MickinOz » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:57 pm

So, I rock into the doctor's office.
Receptionist says "How are you today?".
"Ratshit, thanks," I mumble through my mask.
She went all introspective.
"I've been working here a while now, you'd think I'd know better than to ask. No one comes in because they are feeling good."
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:55 am

MickinOz wrote:All sorted. The test was easy, if disconcerting. They sure stick that swab a long way up your nose.
They told me I should isolate at home since my reason for requesting the test was that I felt as crook as a dog.
Managed to get in to see ol' mate Dave straight after.

He said he was glad I took the test, saved him the trouble of ordering me to do it. And one day it will be the problem he reckons.
But he said the blood, the inability to swallow, the very sore throat, the headache, the copious amounts of thick yellow sputum (TMI?), the almost complete loss of the ability to speak all add up to a nasty sinus/URTI infection to him.
Prescribed 7 little pills that will fix it all in a week he said.
Oh, and lay off those Oxy's.
Still feel like sh**, but the odds are I will feel better tomorrow! :D

Glad he got it diagnosed and gave you the meds Mick! :thumbsup: Hope you're feeling better by the time you read this, and back to good health shortly. So whatever you do, make sure you log on here and give us an update now and again!

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:54 pm

Tested that cordless router a bit more :lol:
Attachments
junkers.jpg
junkers.jpg (77.18 KiB) Viewed 743 times
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:27 pm

Ran into this lion track and then put some meat down.

I'm glad to be back in the easy chair next to the fireplace.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:03 am

Tony, 35 Whelen?
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:17 am

noseoil wrote:Tony, 35 Whelen?

Nope. I regressed and put together a new .30-06. My old elk caliber from years past. I've decided it's time to quit eating lead. Quit leaving gutpiles (that include the lungs and heart) full of lead fragments for the eagles. This is my first kill using a straight copper bullet. The gun is capable of grouping 3" at 550 yards. I shot this elk at 350 which is the edge of my off-the-sticks envelope. One double lunger and she went right down. I think if it had been my old .35 she wouldn't have gone down that fast even with its 250 grainers.

It was important it happened that way. I knew there was a nearby two-track on top of the ridge but it was a steep draw below. If she had run downhill and died in the draw, it would have been a two-day packout. As you can see the snow was coming down. We got her out before dark and I was damn glad to have the rear-locker feature of the Tacoma. If we had to go back there today, I would have had to chain up and cross my fingers.

:frightened: Time to clean the shop and start butchering.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:50 am

Just found out yesterday I have a cow elk tag waiting for me on a neighbor's ranch. He leases out 17,000 acres south & east of town for cattle, & they need some cows culled on his place. I'm always willing to help! It's the guy I did the cabinet for earlier this year.

Will use my "normal" elk round, the 375H&H with a 300 grain Nosler partition at about 2600 fps. I've been trying to find some solid copper stuff to shoot, but it's hard to find the right bullets in today's market. There's some absurdly good stuff available out there now, but it's limited to the long range, heavy copper target bullets (350 & 390 grain), not what I need for hunting, so the old load will have to do the job this year until I can find what I need. Looking for a 270 or 300 grain solid copper slug with a hollow point & high ballistic coefficient, they're like hen's teeth now...
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:52 am

Will use my "normal" elk round, the 375H&H with...

You're hurting my shoulder vicariously. :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:33 am

tony.latham wrote: You're hurting my shoulder vicariously. :frightened:

I had to Google it:

Due to the high ballistics, the .375 H&H Magnum can deliver an immense pressure onto the projectile (bullet). As the bullet passes through at supersonic speeds, you will feel backward energy from the rifle. This recoil energy is higher than most other cartridges. When compared to the widely used .30-06 cartridge, it was found that the .375 H&H Magnum is deadlier but has almost double the recoil energy than the .30-06 cartridges.
:shock:
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:07 pm

finished the ditch for my new bigger propane tank !

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:02 pm

So, for the past two months I've been spending a few days a week cutting up a patch of beetle killed pinion for fire wood. I do it all with a bow saw. Shoulder issues make my axe work somewhat scary, and I admit to being afraid of chain saws. Haven't yet met someone who used a chain saw regularly who doesn't have a near miss story, or worse. (Mentioned this to a high school friend this past Summer and he immediately got out his phone to show me pictures of the stitches he recently got on his thigh! And he and I both learned how to use a chain saw on the same weekend in October 1978 cutting firewood for the Winter Camporee at good old Tuscarora Boy Scout reservation! But I digress.) (Oh, I do understand his grandkids are getting him a pair of chaps for Christmas.)

Anyway, this past weekend I reckoned I finally cut enough fire wood for this Winter. Spent the next day dragging brush into a pile to be chipped later

and the area where I'd cut trees looked clean as a ... um, well, a clean forest floor. Then yesterday we had a wind storm. Went back this morning and it looks like it did last week! :hammerhead:

Now I'm thinking I should have simply cut a wedge in all of the trees and come back today to harvest! Wasn't all bad however. Take Juan...

Oh, did I mention I name my trees? Not all of them; THAT would be crazy. :? Just the ones that give me trouble, and the ponderosa pine. I've been thinking about Juan Two-Tree for awhile as the twin trunks will make cutting him down with a bow saw a particular challenge. The wind didn't do the job for me, but, much as Shelly did with the beard trimmer after the barber shops in New Mexico had been closed for months, it removed the top 20-30 feet!

Oh! What did I do today? I spent it walking around the property checking for wind damage.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:01 pm

I do it all with a bow saw.

:frightened: :frightened: :frightened: :frightened: :frightened:

Believe it or not, chainsaws are a lot safer now then they were when I was chasing fire. No kickback. Buy chaps. (Not those Simms brand I have in that pic.)

:NC

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion