What did you do today

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: What did you do today

Postby lfhoward » Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:38 pm

:thumbsup:

Looks great, @flboy!
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:11 am

Me? I'm building a boat "shed" for my new-used drift boat.

And of course, I've wisely chosen to do it during a spell of record-breaking heat. :shock:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:09 pm

Looks like a great start Tony!

Umm, you may want to check some of those horizontal planks with a level...

Tom :R
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:25 pm

Umm, you may want to check some of those horizontal planks with a level...

Hey, good catch! I too was thinking something was ... off. :frightened: :? :? :? :? :?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:56 pm

I've spent the past few days replacing outlets in Mom's 62 year old home. Here's a rogue's gallery

That "cheater" in the upper left has no polarization on it's blades, but polarization on its outlet end. The green wire is intended to attach to the screw in the middle of old outlets. There are a couple of ways this can go wrong!

The orange cheater is better, but, only grounds properly if the screw is grounded, meaning the outlet is attached to a metal box and it is grounded. In most homes where this would work, there would be a conduit from the metal box to the grounded circuit breaker box. In this house, for some reason, there is no conduit, but the cable itself has the bare ground wire, just like modern Romex, and the electrician tied it to the metal boxes. Made my job much easier! :thumbsup:

The extension cord was in our basement. I needed an extension cord to run a light from another room so I could see with the power out. Not this cord though! Neither side is polarized, and so won't accept a polarized plug. I thought polarized plugs were standard since the 20's suggesting this extension cord is somewhat older. Wonder if there is a museum for such things? Is it a collectible? Could I sell it on e-bay? (Not for actual use, display purposes only.) Knowing my Dad, if he'd found this, he would have simply cut off the offending outlet side and wired in a newer one. Never mind the plug still wouldn't be polarized... :thinking:

Watching several videos, including one from This Old House (Norm would never lie to us!) the acceptable fix for adding grounded outlets in a house where the metal boxes are grounded is to buy a bunch of these green wire pig-tails, screw the #10 screw into the threaded hole in the back of the box, and attach it to the ground terminal in the outlet. Super! :thumbsup: That's what I did. Does make me wonder though, since evidently simply letting the grounded box bond to the metal bits of the outlet through the regular two screws that hold it in isn't safe enough, how did those cheaters get their UL rating? Also, why did the metal box manufacturers back in the 1950's thoughtfully add those threaded holes (2 each in our case!) to the backs of their boxes?

The outlet front row left is one of the originals. The next one over was one of the safety outlets Dad added to my bedroom and the dining room. They don't look polarized, but they are. They are branded Bell (presumably not the phone company). Several years later, Dad put them in my brother's room and those are branded Sears Robuck, except they look the same in every other way. Sears must have added their name when they sold them.

A few years after that, my sister came along, and Dad added safety outlets to her room; this time GE's version.

When I was a teenager, I wanted a grounded outlet in my room for my shortwave radio hobby. I didn't much care if the colors matched, and I found the brown one somewhere. Taking after my Dad, I managed to tie the line to neutral and neutral to line. No one died from that mistake, and it has been corrected.

The two on the right are two different brands of the modern TR outlets I'm using as replacements throughout the house. Where we still have original ivory wall plates, I replaced with like color. Most plates are painted the room color and the light tan seems (to me) to look better. It is interesting to me though that all of the outlets except the Eaton's (on the right) have a contoured surface. Not sure how that helps.

So, with all this variety, I wonder if there is an electrical outlet museum somewhere?* :thinking: I once rented a 1940's house and did a similar replacement, and I think I still have some of the ceramic outlets from that one.

Oh, and I should have probably said this sooner, if you aren't interested in the subtleties of North American electrical outlets through the last 62 years, you may find this post somewhat boring, and may wish to skip it entirely. Sorry about that! :FNP

Tom

*Edit: If you are interested in the subtleties, check this out: https://www.plugsocketmuseum.nl/NorthAm2.html
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:56 am

Victron came out with phone widgets so now I have access to basic camper information ASAP.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby featherliteCT1 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:42 pm

bdosborn,

Waaaay cool!
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby friz » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:51 pm

bdosborn wrote:Victron came out with phone widgets so now I have access to basic camper information ASAP.

Bruce
When my agm takes a dump, it's going to be hard not to go for the high tech replacement. Super cool!

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby lfhoward » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:28 pm

Tried to find VRM widgets on my iPhone and they are not in the list of available widgets. Maybe it is an Android thing so far. Anyone gotten this to work on an iPhone?

Edit: figured it out. I had a bookmark for the web version of the VRM on my home screen. I downloaded the VRM app, which looks 100% the same, but comes with widget options.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:08 am

lfhoward wrote:I downloaded the VRM app, which looks 100% the same, but comes with widget options.

My widgets don't update unless I have the VRM app open. That kind of makes the widgets useless. :fb
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:58 am

bdosborn wrote:
lfhoward wrote:I downloaded the VRM app, which looks 100% the same, but comes with widget options.

My widgets don't update unless I have the VRM app open. That kind of makes the widgets useless. :fb
Bruce

Hmmmm…. Mine seems to have a pretty long lag between updates, like 10 or 15 minutes, but the data on the widget does change without opening the VRM app.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:22 am

Mine doesn't update unless I have the VRM open and I push the refresh in the widget. :(
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:21 am

I went ahead and slapped a Mopeka Pro LPG sensor on the bottom of my propane tank. The pro version will be readable by the next version of Victron’s Venus OS. The current version, 2.89, can read Ruuvitag temperature sensors, but 2.90 will be able to monitor Mopeka pro sensors too. 2.90 is in beta and the current official word is 1-2 months for official release.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:44 pm

Hmm, I might want to order the water sensor now. My guess is they'll be out of stock PDQ if I wait for the software update.
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:07 pm

The LPG pro sensors were on sale on Mopeka’s website this week. $49. I don’t remember if the water pro’s were on sale.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion