Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:03 pm

Sure am glad the trees are smaller here than in some other parts! :lol:

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Wind storm!

Postby noseoil » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:08 am

Tom mentioned a bit of wind earlier this week in New Mexico. We had it here in Raton, as well as a lot of the western US into Texas & Oklahoma. I enjoy having 4' chain link fence around the yard, but there's one down-side to it I hadn't seen before. Our lot is fairly open on the west side, with just a few runs of barbed wire at that edge to keep out some of the local critters. It keeps the cattle out, but it lets the tumbleweeds in. Part of our shed roof lifted & bent (steel, so it bends back) along with a few shingles on one hip ridge. There were clocked gusts at our local airport of 84 mph, so it did blow better than it has in the past. Our house sits on a hill with plenty of open space around it.

I guess the worst of it for us was the eastern edge's 4' chain link (the front of the lot towards the street), it's a 4' tall perfect tumbleweed catcher when the winds blow from the west. The fence line was piled up with tumbleweeds to about 3' tall. They tend to pack pretty well & are fairly brittle, so it's easy enough to remove them & crush them into the trailer for the trip to the dumpster at the back of the lot. Here's a few of the tumbleweeds I took out yesterday on the way to the dumpster. Glad to have that cart to haul around the trash & drag stuff to the dumpster. There's always something to do here in retirement.

Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: What did you do today

Postby dbhosttexas » Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:24 pm

In order to make ANY progress on my build, I absolutely MUST have my workshop back in working order, in order to make that happen I have been busy trying to clean up the disaster, and repair what is broken...

I have done the following lately.

#1. Cleaned out a giant stack of cast off drawers intended for certain projects. THey got moved to an unused room. Many of the drawers will be back in the shop for workshop cabinets. More on that at a later date.
#2. Spent hours sorting, cleaning, and putting things back where they belong, and I have only scratched the surface.
#3. Replaced the factory switch on my Harbor Freight bandsaw with one that is more like what Grizzly uses, on the upright of the saw itself with a giant safety off paddle. I am always afraid I am going to bandsaw my forehead trying to turn it off with the stupid stand mounted switch Harbor Freight factory equipped.
#4. As I was clearning out junk wood, and cast offs from abandoned or design changed projects, I decided to make a grinder / sharpening station stand to put next to my lathe... For some reason OCD overcame me as well, and I decided to paint it Coleman Stove green A.K.A. Rustoleum hunter green.
#5. Finally sorting through adhesives and finishes damaged by the deep freeze this winter. Half a gallon of Titbeond 2 went in the dumpster. Sadly I couldn't find any Titebond 2 anywhere, I had to settle for Gorilla Glue wood glue. NOT my favorite by any measure...
#6. Upgraded my cheap Harbor Freight dust collector to a 12" impeller so it will actually move air and dust.

Aside from that it has been day job work, and drama with the in laws like always...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby edgeau » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:07 pm

Earlier this year we replaced the big tarp to make an eating area with a pop up gazebo. I don't like the gap between it and the attached awnings, to much space for rain to blow in. So I bought a 25m x 1m roll of light duty tarp to make this solution. A few eyelets, spare guys, elastic and hooks etc later we have a winner!
ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby twisted lines » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:49 am

MickinOz wrote:Thanks for all the kind words people.
I expect to test negative for Covid, there hasn't been a reported case in the district.
After that I expect to persuade one of these vets up here to treat my strep throat or sinus infection, whichever it is.

I expected to to hear from you long ago :NC
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby BigDave_185 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:35 pm

Fired up the Generator up while the kids poop sopped the yard.

Need to refill the propane tanks, and kick the furnace on for a bit
What does the bottom right switch labeled Heater turn on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigDave_185
The 300 Club

Postby MickinOz » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:41 pm

twisted lines wrote:
MickinOz wrote:Thanks for all the kind words people.
I expect to test negative for Covid, there hasn't been a reported case in the district.
After that I expect to persuade one of these vets up here to treat my strep throat or sinus infection, whichever it is.

I expected to to hear from you long ago :NC

It has been a very long couple of weeks.
Still ain't right. I'll spare you all the details.
Struggling to sleep.
Downing Panadol (Tylenol?) like lollies.
Gargling Listerine at least twice per day trying to knock out the throat infection.
Even tried hot buttered rum. (It's summer here.)
Didn't fix anything, helped me not care for a while.
The dog keeps coming in to wake me up if I forget to close the bedroom door.
The missus reckons its when I stop breathing.
Teardrop #2 is around my mother's place undercover.
Build to resume in the New Year.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:59 pm

Very sorry to hear of the effects of your illness Mick, though extremely glad to know you are still among the living! Hope you are 100% real soon! :thumbsup:

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby dbhosttexas » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:25 pm

Still chunking away at cleaning the workshop. Spent about an hour and a half sifting through cutoffs that were covering my table saw in order to get stuff sorted out...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby bdosborn » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:28 pm

BigDave_185 wrote:What does the bottom right switch labeled Heater turn on?

Is your water tank on the outside of the trailer? It might be a tank heater?
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby BigDave_185 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:11 am

I apologize I posted in the wrong forum lol Tapatalk makes it to easy to have all these in one spot.

It’s my tank heater

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigDave_185
The 300 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:42 am

edgeau wrote:Earlier this year we replaced the big tarp to make an eating area with a pop up gazebo. I don't like the gap between it and the attached awnings, to much space for rain to blow in. So I bought a 25m x 1m roll of light duty tarp to make this solution. A few eyelets, spare guys, elastic and hooks etc later we have a winner!
ImageImage

Just FWIW, I do something similar to that, using the pagoda style EZ Up. I have an 11ft x 14ft silver tarp that I pitch over the Xs in the frame, tied to the corners, and then pitched over the instant set tent.. It keeps excess sun off of the tent, and keeps rain out of the space between the tent door and the EZ Up / Kitchen. I need a small one, a bit wider than yours to span between the EZ Up and the Joolca Ensuite Double....
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby flboy » Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:52 pm

Very nice space. I had to quit using the EZ ups. Since I would ride off on my motorcycle, I had a few destroyed by winds when summer storms kicked up while I was out riding. It was a pia taking it up and down at least once or twice a day and if I left it up, would likely be tore up and potentially beat up the vehicles.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Last edited by flboy on Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby edgeau » Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:39 pm

flboy wrote:Very nice space. I had to quit using the EZ ups. Since I would ride off on my motorcycle, I dad a few destroyed by winds when summer storms kicked up while I was out riding. It was a pia taking it up and down at least once or twice a day and if I left it up, would likely be tore up and potentially beat up the vehicles.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Yes I have seen a few mangled ones from the wind. I don't use the ridiculously inadequate guys that come with it. I hook on some of my good ones from the tarp setup with proper springs and big pegs.

edgeau
500 Club

Postby edgeau » Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:43 pm

Time to go camping again - the Teardrop to do list needs some new entries!
They were not all done today but the last one was crossed off. New tail lights.

edgeau
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion