What did you do today

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: What did you do today

Postby dmb90260 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:18 am

If you have had chicken pox in the past you can develop shingles. But there is a shot to prevent that. Got mine two years ago.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:53 am

A quick teleheath visit and sure enough. f***ing shingles.

Been there. It was tooth-grinding pain for a few nights.

I had the single shingles vaccine years ago. It had a 50% efficacy rate. I was on the wrong side of the 50. I just finished my second double-shot Shingrix vaccine. I hope I'm not on the wrong side of 90%. :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby friz » Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:18 pm

I built a pizza Image

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:42 pm

dmb90260 wrote:If you have had chicken pox in the past you can develop shingles. But there is a shot to prevent that. Got mine two years ago.

My physical with the first dose of Shingrix was scheduled for April last year, due to COVID it got postponed, and postponed.

I have been REALLY under the weather for the last month, I need an antibody test, but pretty sure I had COVID recently, but minor case.

At first I thought holy sh*t instead of getting totally over it it came back to kick my teeth in, but then the rash started up.

Sleep has been elusive but getting better now...

I have 2 sheets of siding that got blown off during Hurricane Nicholas that I had prepped the replacements, and literally was ready to climb the ladder to install, and the day I was going to install I got hit with fever, chills, aches, all sorts of fun.

Worst part, this hit me in the leg and hurts like satans poker. No way am I climbing a ladder for a bit..
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:52 pm

On a positive camper related note. Sourced up a new pull off E series cab / chassis battery box assembly. These will make it easy to fit a group 31 battery under the cab of my F150.

I have been chatting with folks about design, lots of people want to steer me to a flatbed configuration with a dedicated camper. Given that I would be able to create a compartment effectively outside of the living space for 2 20lb propane tanks, and a lockable storage location for the generator It sounds nice, but also expensive. At least if I buy pre built. RJhowell did a nice build but I think he used steel though.

From the looks of it, I am seeing a couple of 7x8 aluminum flatbeds in junk yards for around $1,200. Might have to consider that. Lower weight, bigger footprint, and no fancy footprint to shape the camper around... Not sure the wife would go for it.

I certainly couldn't do a factory flatbed camper, they are all WAY too heavy for a half ton...

Started showing foamie, and Skoolie builds to my lovely wife, she is getting on board with a build quick.... Likes that we can do our own thing since pretty much all factory designs are either uncomfortable for us, or WAY too expensive... Demoed the Camplux to her and epxlained how it will work in the camper. She is stoked...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby MickinOz » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:33 am

friz wrote:I built a pizza Image

I take pizza very, very, very seriously, ever since my mate's Ecuadorian mum served up home made pizza in 1972.
I have built more wood fired brick ovens than I have built TD's.
I have been known to take people to task for referring to pizza as "pie".
:BE
I live in a town with a very large population of Molfettese who still speak the dialect.
We don't have focaccia, we have Ook Ook, and Rocky Longo opened the first pizza shop outside of the state capital here in the early 70's
A moderator on pizzamaking.com recently mentioned me as one of the most prolific non-American posters.

So you see, I can't let you get away with just writing "I built a pizza", I'd be drummed out of the fraternity.

Did you make the dough, what did you bake it in, what cheese, tomatoes, toppings? Is that black olives I see?
How long did you ferment the dough at what temp.

Nice looking pizza BTW.
But the crust looks a little 'bready" What was bake time and temp?
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby dbhosttexas » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:00 am

MickinOz wrote:

I take pizza very, very, very seriously, ever since my mate's Ecuadorian mum served up home made pizza in 1972.
I live in a town with a very large population of Molfettese who still speak the dialect.
We don't have focaccia, we have Ook Ook, and Rocky Longo opened the first pizza shop outside of the state capital here in the early 70's
A moderator on pizzamaking.com recently mentioned me as one of the most prolific non-American posters.

So you see, I can't let you get away with just writing "I built a pizza", I'd be drummed out of the fraternity.

Did you make the dough, what did you bake it in, what cheese, tomatoes, toppings? Is that black olives I see?

Nice looking pizza BTW.

Being Texan, my short, short, short list for Santa Claus this year is one item. A Kettle Pizza. Basically a spacer, and stone that more or less turns the classic Weber Kettle into a Pizza Grill / oven. They offer a model that allows it to be multifunction, Pizza oven, and rotisserie. Not sure about what BBQ rigs are available down south as it were, but if you have anything like the Weber, and like to cook on charcoal, this is an awesome add on...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby friz » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:31 pm

MickinOz wrote:

Nice looking pizza BTW.
Yup, made the dough. First attempt at half and half whole wheat and white flour. Doc says we need more fiber. Yeast, water, honey, olive oil and salt are the other ingredients. I don't measure except for water and yeast. A couple hour rise. Punched down twice. Better if done the day before and refrigerated overnight. More gluten, less cake like. Typical Italian seasonings in the sauce. Lots of garlic. Toppings are sausage, onion, black olive, cheese.

425 for ten minutes. Off the pan and onto the rack until GBD.Image

The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby MickinOz » Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:54 pm

dbhosttexas wrote:Being Texan, my short, short, short list for Santa Claus this year is one item. A Kettle Pizza. Basically a spacer, and stone that more or less turns the classic Weber Kettle into a Pizza Grill / oven. They offer a model that allows it to be multifunction, Pizza oven, and rotisserie. Not sure about what BBQ rigs are available down south as it were, but if you have anything like the Weber, and like to cook on charcoal, this is an awesome add on...

I reckon the missus would go spare if I bought anymore out door cooking gear.

Oz has just about every type of BBQ available.
You can get all the Webber gear, and people are really getting into the off-set smokers these days. Just as the price of beef is going into orbit!
I personally wouldn't buy a Pizza Oven insert for a Webber. Not saying they are no good, its just that I have a brick oven that only takes an hour and a half or so to get to Neapolitan temperatures. ~800 F.
I built it with thinner than normal bricks - the reduced thermal mass means it is not much good for retained heat slow cooking, but its brilliant for after work midweek pizza.

These days, probably due to spending too much time with South Africans, I'm much into cooking over ordinary every day wood fires.
The boys had a fire pit a bit like mine last weekend, but I noted it had fittings to support a spit. Gotta look into that.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MickinOz » Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:10 pm

friz wrote: Yup, made the dough. First attempt at half and half whole wheat and white flour. Doc says we need more fiber. Yeast, water, honey, olive oil and salt are the other ingredients. I don't measure except for water and yeast. A couple hour rise. Punched down twice. Better if done the day before and refrigerated overnight. More gluten, less cake like. Typical Italian seasonings in the sauce. Lots of garlic. Toppings are sausage, onion, black olive, cheese.

Nice choice of toppings.
The whole wheat flour explains the appearance of the crust.
I tried for a long time to get a crust I was happy with using whole wheat. Same reason, too. More fibre. Failed miserably.
The whole wheat just doesn't seem to absorb water properly.

These days, I use a locally produced "00" flour.
I don't recommend it unless you can get to wood fired temperatures. It takes forever to brown at domestic oven temps.
I have been using a 4 to 1 mix of 00 and fine ground semolina. I like the flavour and at 20%, the semolina doesn't seem to cause early burning of the crust on the wood oven.
My oven:
Margherita 2018.JPG
Margherita 2018.JPG (46.02 KiB) Viewed 155 times
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TimC » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:18 pm

Brick oven! I've wanted to build one of those for years. I bought some cat litter which is supposed to be unscented and pure clay, but, I never got beyond that. Wanted to do a cob/brick oven built over an exercise ball. Then decided I would just build a sand dome and build over that. Then...

So I just kept running down interweb building rabbit holes and ended up getting burned out in the planning stage.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby friz » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:50 pm

MickinOz wrote:
friz wrote: Yup, made the dough. First attempt at half and half whole wheat and white flour. Doc says we need more fiber. Yeast, water, honey, olive oil and salt are the other ingredients. I don't measure except for water and yeast. A couple hour rise. Punched down twice. Better if done the day before and refrigerated overnight. More gluten, less cake like. Typical Italian seasonings in the sauce. Lots of garlic. Toppings are sausage, onion, black olive, cheese.

Nice choice of toppings.
The whole wheat flour explains the appearance of the crust.
I tried for a long time to get a crust I was happy with using whole wheat. Same reason, too. More fibre. Failed miserably.
The whole wheat just doesn't seem to absorb water properly.

These days, I use a locally produced "00" flour.
I don't recommend it unless you can get to wood fired temperatures. It takes forever to brown at domestic oven temps.
I have been using a 4 to 1 mix of 00 and fine ground semolina. I like the flavour and at 20%, the semolina doesn't seem to cause early burning of the crust on the wood oven.
My oven:
Margherita 2018.JPG
Nice! The results with wheat flour went better then I thought it would. I found that some extra time spent in the bowl being kneeded with the dough hook resulted in a nice toothiness that I normally have to let the dough rest overnight to get. More protein must make gluten formation a little easier. I'm in Kansas, so local flour is a given.

In my world, bread is an essential life skill. So is brewing and butchering.

The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby rjgimp » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:06 pm

After nearly thinking I was a goner last night I spent the morning in the urgent care. Wife and daughter have the co-vid. Thus far I have tested negative but with similar symptoms. We'll see what the results of today's test say. I got a chest x-ray and discovered I have pneumonia. That explains a lot. My blood oxygen was down to 87 this morning. I got Azithromycin, Prednisone, Amoxicillin, and an Albuterol nebulizer. Three neb treatments already today and I can tell the difference. Still difficult breathing and I get winded getting out of the chair, but things are looking up. I'm not afraid to die as Jesus and I are on very good terms but I sure would like to stick around at least long enough to make sure my daughter marries well.
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby MickinOz » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:56 am

rjgimp wrote:After nearly thinking I was a goner last night I spent the morning in the urgent care. Wife and daughter have the co-vid. Thus far I have tested negative but with similar symptoms. We'll see what the results of today's test say. I got a chest x-ray and discovered I have pneumonia. That explains a lot. My blood oxygen was down to 87 this morning. I got Azithromycin, Prednisone, Amoxicillin, and an Albuterol nebulizer. Three neb treatments already today and I can tell the difference. Still difficult breathing and I get winded getting out of the chair, but things are looking up.

All the best mate, I hope you come good soon.

rjgimp wrote: I sure would like to stick around at least long enough to make sure my daughter marries well.

My ex-boss has an incredibly pretty little girl.
I keep telling her husband that when the kid hits dating age he needs to have a shot gun handy, so he can sit by the door quietly polishing it when her dates come to pick her up.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MickinOz » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:04 am

TimC wrote:Brick oven! I've wanted to build one of those for years. I bought some cat litter which is supposed to be unscented and pure clay, but, I never got beyond that. Wanted to do a cob/brick oven built over an exercise ball. Then decided I would just build a sand dome and build over that. Then...

So I just kept running down interweb building rabbit holes and ended up getting burned out in the planning stage.

Do it mate. I've built, or assisted with, three now.
It's a rewarding exercise, and doesn't take all that long.
It can cost next to nothing, or an absolute fortune, depending on your choice of materials.
A couple photos of mine (first build), and the last one.
Oven 1.JPG
Oven 1.JPG (70.96 KiB) Viewed 243 times

Oven 3.JPG
Oven 3.JPG (97.13 KiB) Viewed 243 times

Mick's oven.JPG
Mick's oven.JPG (43.76 KiB) Viewed 243 times
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion