What did you do today

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: What did you do today

Postby Sparksalot » Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:20 pm

MickinOz wrote:
Sparksalot wrote:I’ve also added a game camera to see what is coming through my yard at night.

That reminds me. On Saturday, I was able to buy 1000 rounds of Winchester FMJ Target, in 0.223 Remington, for the princely sum of 47 cents US per round.
Made in USA. $700 Australian for a carton of 50 packs of 20 rounds each. That's $470 US.
They had more than one carton. I'm tempted to buy more at that bargain price, but I'm worried that it might lose quality in storage if I take a long time to use it.
I've been using Remington UMC FMJ. Same 55 grn bullet weight, same advertised muzzle velocity of 3240 FPS.
My rifle is a Winchester XPR, I'm keen to get out to the range and see if Winchester branded ammo magically shoots better.
My local dealer was selling 300 round Remington freedom buckets for $300, but he was down to his last bucket, and wanted to keep it for himself.
So, when my mate asked if I felt like a trip to the smoke to pick up a heap of tyres for customer's cars, I got on the blower and started ringing around.
Discovered a hardware shop I'd never heard of before, with a very good range of cheap ammo.
I doubt the local goats and the little fallow deer we get around here will care that the word target is printed on the box?
20 rounds.JPG

bulk box.JPG

How times change. That price would’ve been highway robbery not so long ago. Good luck with your hunting.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:31 pm

Sparksalot wrote:How times change. That price would’ve been highway robbery not so long ago. Good luck with your hunting.

Yes mate, times have changed.
Looking through some old posts on another forum, I first started looking for a new rifle in January 2019.
I vacillated for a while, mostly around what calibre to buy. 0.270 for lots of hitting power whether I needed it or not, or 0.223 so the ammo was cheap enough I could afford lots of practice?
0.223 Remington back then was about 60-80cents Australian depending on brand and quantity.
Even in the small 20 round packs it was under $1 per round for most everyday brands like Remington, Federal, Winchester, etc.
Fast forward to today, and even bulk packs average more than $1/round.

Which is why I thought this purchase was interesting enough to post.
I looked online at American prices while researching.
In Texas, you'd struggle to find the same Winchester ammo at the price I bought it here.
Go figure - Made in USA, but unless you get lucky I can get it the same price.

This phenomenon isn't unusual.
In 2015, my wife and I holidayed in New Zealand. Same thing happened there, except with Australian wine.
Enjoying a nice steak in a restaurant, the need for a red wine arose. They offered an Aussie red.
Now, I live about 120 miles from the winery where that wine was made, but they had it cheaper in the restaurant than I could buy it back home.
Some things will always be a mystery.

FWIW, I declined the offer of the Australian red wine, and asked for a New Zealand selection. One does not fly across the Tasman Sea to drink the same plonk he drinks at home. :lol:
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby lfhoward » Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:17 am

Modstock wrote:My woman's 2nd gen Liberty (KK) got rid of the HT's and now riding on her first set of BFG AT's.
It's lifted 2" and on some 30x9.50x15's .
3.75 backspacing clears the brakes.
Took it on it's 1st off-road trail.
Did well aired down to 18psi.
Also the new dog rode along .
ImageImage

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk

Nice to see some familiar Jeeps on the forum! I had a 2000 XJ years ago, until I upgraded to a 2008 KK Liberty. My Liberty is 4” lifted and has 245/75R16’s on the stock wheels. (I like the silver and black two-tone wheels from the 08 model year!) Both were/are incredibly capable vehicles off road. And BFG KO2’s are good tires. I have about 35,000 miles on mine so far.

My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MickinOz » Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:15 pm

Spent several hours combing a 10,000 acre bush paddock.
It belongs to #1 son's father in law, who grazes his Charolais cattle on it.
The cattle have been moved to fresh feed, now would be a good time to remove the feral goats, with prejudice.
:twisted:
All we found were some old tracks.
It's a fascinating spot. It was used for bombing training during World War II.
The target, an earth circle 200 yards in diameter, is still there.
After all this time, hundreds of craters are still there too.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Modstock » Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:52 pm

Ifhoward::;
Nice rock sliders, who makes em ?

Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lfhoward » Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:08 am

Modstock wrote:Ifhoward::;
Nice rock sliders, who makes em ?

Unfortunately nobody does any longer, that I know of. There were two small fabrication shops that made them for a while, so you might be able to find used ones if you’re lucky. (Keep an eye on Ebay, Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, LostJeeps, JeepKJ, and JeepForum for out of production stuff like this.) The two slider-makers were Rock Lizard Fabrications and At The Helm Fabrication. ATH is still making front winch bumpers for the KK, but the sliders are not currently available. Their website is: http://www.athfab.com. ATH made my front recovery bar with the D-rings and my custom roof rack. My rock sliders are Rock Lizard’s. The roof rack is the only one I bought new. I got the sliders and front recovery bar pre-owned. Oh, and if interested in skid plates and can’t get your hands on out of production Mopar ones, ASFIR 4x4 (http://www.asfir.com) makes nice 1/4-inch aluminum skids for the KK that are strong and lightweight.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Indiana Rambler » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:03 am

Picked up this gem for free this week. I don’t really want to build a rack for the TD, but maybe build or buy a rack for the pickup? Just hate the idea of putting holes in the camper and potentially starting a leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indiana Rambler
Teardrop Master

Postby Indiana Rambler » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:03 am

Tom&Shelly wrote:
Indiana Rambler wrote:First winter camping for the TD. We decided to do an impromptu camping trip to the Indiana Dunes National Park.

Nice! :thumbsup:

We're thinking of stopping there this Summer (after the EAA event at Oshkosh), on our way to Upstate New York. Either the National Park or the State Park. I understand there is a train from there to Chicago and we want to meet family in the city.

Tom
Let us know when you’re planning to do so. Maybe we can meet up this summer!

Indiana Rambler
Teardrop Master

Postby noseoil » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:08 am

Progress, but getting better. Whole wheat sourdough is today's batch.

Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MickinOz » Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:35 pm

noseoil wrote:Progress, but getting better. Whole wheat sourdough is today's batch.

Nice. I've got some whole wheat flour I use to impart some extra flavour to my pizza dough. I usually use 90% type 00, and 10% Atta flour (Indian style whole wheat flour)
What hydration are you using? I find, when I get the urge to make the dough from 100% Atta flour, that I need to run 100% water. Bakers percentage - weight of water expressed as a percentage of the flour weight. So for every 100g of the flour, I need 100g of water to wet it ought and make a dough I can stretch.
I'm thinking for bread, especially sourdough, it might need to be even wetter?
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MickinOz » Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:09 pm

Last night we went to Mundoora for dinner at the little Community Club and an overnight stay at the RV park.
$20 steaks and $5 desserts. Retired to the camper to watch John Wick 111.
Dinner, drinks, movie and breakfast for less than $100 including fuel. Awesome.
While we were breakfasting this morning we noticed the Soldiers Memorial Hall was bring opened,
Turns out it was time for the monthly flea market.
We took a look before we left.
Ended up giving a tour of the trailer to a lady stallholder.
She seemed impressed. She showed us photos of what could be the score of the decade.
An elderly relative of her partner had a 1973 caravan.
They'd bought it new, but when the husband died 7 years later, the caravan was never taken out of its storage shed again.
So the lady we were speaking with now has a 50 year old van that is an absolute time capsule.
1973 burnt orange décor, original orange curtains, original three way fridge still works, all the1970s gear still in it and in good working condition.
Not so much as a broken cupboard door latch, she said. I believe they put some new tires on it and washed the curtains.
A 7 year old 1973 van.
I was impressed.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby friz » Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:09 pm

MickinOz wrote:
noseoil wrote:Progress, but getting better. Whole wheat sourdough is today's batch.

Nice. I've got some whole wheat flour I use to impart some extra flavour to my pizza dough. I usually use 90% type 00, and 10% Atta flour (Indian style whole wheat flour)
What hydration are you using? I find, when I get the urge to make the dough from 100% Atta flour, that I need to run 100% water. Bakers percentage - weight of water expressed as a percentage of the flour weight. So for every 100g of the flour, I need 100g of water to wet it ought and make a dough I can stretch.
I'm thinking for bread, especially sourdough, it might need to be even wetter?
Nice loaves. I'm with you on the wheat flour. The little nuttiness it adds is worth it. I'm a "barely cleans the mixer bowl" when it comes to the proper ratio of water to flour. Probably just lazy.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby Indiana Rambler » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:33 pm

MickinOz wrote:Last night we went to Mundoora for dinner at the little Community Club and an overnight stay at the RV park.
$20 steaks and $5 desserts. Retired to the camper to watch John Wick 111.
Dinner, drinks, movie and breakfast for less than $100 including fuel. Awesome.
While we were breakfasting this morning we noticed the Soldiers Memorial Hall was bring opened,
Turns out it was time for the monthly flea market.
We took a look before we left.
Ended up giving a tour of the trailer to a lady stallholder.
She seemed impressed. She showed us photos of what could be the score of the decade.
An elderly relative of her partner had a 1973 caravan.
They'd bought it new, but when the husband died 7 years later, the caravan was never taken out of its storage shed again.
So the lady we were speaking with now has a 50 year old van that is an absolute time capsule.
1973 burnt orange décor, original orange curtains, original three way fridge still works, all the1970s gear still in it and in good working condition.
Not so much as a broken cupboard door latch, she said. I believe they put some new tires on it and washed the curtains.
A 7 year old 1973 van.
I was impressed.
That does sound pretty impressive on the caravan. Can’t wait until you post some pics

Indiana Rambler
Teardrop Master

Postby MickinOz » Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:43 am

Indiana Rambler wrote:That does sound pretty impressive on the caravan. Can’t wait until you post some pics

Planning to go there for dinner again next weekend. I will hit her up for pictures then.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MickinOz » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:51 pm

Today, I bought an Adventure Kings battery box with a 98AH AGM battery in it,
I don't like buying second hand batteries, but this thing is new and clearly the seller was not lying when he said the extent of the use was charging phones on one camping trip.
To buy the whole lot from 4WDSupacentre, the online Adventure Kings store, is $279 with freight.
Seller accepted $140. So for half price, I figured I'd take the chance that he hasn't abused it in its very short lifetime.
Going by the state of his vehicles and home, he's one fussy dude who takes care of his stuff, so I'm not expecting any disappointment.
The battery box has isolator, 2 x 50A Anderson plugs, 2 x USB outlets, cigarette lighter socket, circuit breaker, digital voltmeter and wo posts to hook external wiring to.
I took a deep cycle battery out of my little catamaran to put in my other boat.
The battery that was in the other boat had failed. So I was one battery short and I was looking around for a new one, so this came up at just the right time.
Battery box.JPG
Battery box.JPG (42.79 KiB) Viewed 225 times
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion