What did you do today

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: What did you do today

Postby noseoil » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:14 pm

Tony, here's the mold & frame setup for a pour. I cut the tapered pieces for the sides & top, Mike built the frame to hold it upright for casting. It's working pretty well now.

Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:08 pm

noseoil wrote:Tony, here's the mold & frame setup for a pour. I cut the tapered pieces for the sides & top, Mike built the frame to hold it upright for casting. It's working pretty well now.

It's rather awesome. Is that Stonehenge in the background? :thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:06 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:My uncle is trying to figure out how to ventilate his van a little better. For some reason, he doesn't want to cut a big square hole in the roof and stick a fan on there. (I don't blame him!)

Me either! That chore is coming up soon for me and I'm not looking forward to it.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby TimC » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:02 pm

Yeah, I'm just not right. Had so much fun demo-ing the old Viking pop-up I couldn't resist another. Picked this up today. She made a bill of sale out for me that said I paid $1. I said ok I'll remember to bring a dollar. She said "No, I just want it out of my yard."

Damon Camplite, 9' frame length, year unknown...
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby Bezoar » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:55 pm

Where were all these when I was looking for my frame?!!
Bezoar
Teardrop Master

Postby TimC » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:56 am

Bezoar wrote:Where were all these when I was looking for my frame?!!

#1 Was in Appleton. #2 in Mercer. Oh crap why am I numbering them? :oops:

Tried to pop the top last night. No go. I'll make sure the chassis is level next time I try. Haven't figured out how the winch works for lowering. Found the stop pawl but it is not very accessible and no obvious means to release it remotely. It doesn't appear to be a brake winch like the Viking lift system. From what I can see looking in the door this camper is going to be a mostly landfill job. Extensive water damage. I hope the appliances are salvageable.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Tony, Stonehenge

Postby noseoil » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:05 am

Yep, it's a friend in Raton who does blacksmithing, metal casting, builds choppers & dabbles in his own Stonehenge. He's an interesting guy & helps a lot of people here in Raton, also runs the local kayaking rentals at Lake Maloya.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:32 am

...& dabbles in his own Stonehenge. He's an interesting guy & helps a lot of people here in Raton....

It sounds like you've found a great community.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby dbhosttexas » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:46 am

A frame from an old Pop Up would be ideal for a foamie build! Pretty sure they can be had for free as there is no shortage of wood rotted pop ups out there. Probably have a mess of other salvagable components.
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby JunkMan » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:03 am

Drove down to Denver last weekend to attend the Colorado Bug In (Volkswagen meet). Since I had the car trailer I was able to pick up some 16' trim pieces I needed to finish the hatch. Place called The Metal Company had a great selection of trim and aluminum, if anyone in the Denver area is looking for a source. I inquired about making new siding for my 1955 canned ham when I get around to restoring it, and it sounds like they can make some that will be very close to the original siding.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby Indiana Rambler » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:11 pm

Did a little cutting and smoothing on the skeleton panels tonight. Doors should be in tomorrow so we can mark them out. And yes, that’s a dryer I had to replace earlier this morning as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indiana Rambler
Teardrop Master

Postby friz » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:49 am

Rack for yaksImage

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:35 pm

Not a lot of time spent, but I made a 12' 3/8" ID red hi temp hose segment for my Ensuite plumbing, attached a quick disconect to it on one end, and the 1/2" for the shower head to the other. Epoxied a hanger strap to the shower head and waiting for that to cure, Once cured and cleaned up I will swap this rig into the shower tent...

Set up Quick Diconnect on the Camplux, and the potable water hose. Still pending delivery of the 3/8 barb x male 3/4 GHT adapters to complete my quick disconnect installs. They sent via USPS are are scheduled sometime between today and tuesday. They were marked as Prime shipping. Yay Amazon!

Once I get those set up, and the pump plumbing completed, I need to get my hands on one of those Monoprice hard cases to mount this stuff in, I am planning on setting this up as an external water heater since it is not vented, and I am never planning on camping in an area where that would be a problem freeze wise...

Playing with the considerably fantastic idea of a foamie based off of a free haul away rotted out shell of a pop up campers frame. Would want one with leaf springs so I can give it some ground clarance, but aside form that, I am certain I could source up a free, or at least extremely cheap old pop up that is beyond the salvegable stage... This would free me up to build a camper suitable for a king size bed, and would be a LOT easier to design. And I may be able to build it to where even my low tow rating Malibu could handle it...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby saltydawg » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:05 pm

I did nothing exciting except hook up the outside shower using a quick connect to the hot water line. I am not using a mixer sense its right next to the water heater I can just use the temp control on the water heater.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:15 am

Took out the trash, by walking trhough the yard. Outside camper work isn't happening today. Everything is soaked.

UPDATE:

Indoor stuff can be done. Finished up wiring the water pump, running the tubing wrapping the hose clamps, adding the quick disconnects.

I am needing the pre filter and pickup tubing. Probably go to the pet store and check out aquarium pump screens / filters.

Continued working on stowage projects / stuff sacks, stowage bags. The idea is to "grab a system", so water heater. I want the pump, hoses, filter, and heater in one stuff sack / carry bag, or box. Propane delivery, another stuff sack, Cookware, another stuff sack and so on. Totes are nice, but having to haul in a mid size sedan with, well full size trucks worth of gear I need to be able to stuff things in a variety of irregular shaped spaces instead of large square voids. Now if I were driving a 1960s Pontiac Catalina this would be a different point of view...

Once the yard dries, I am going to set up the Ensuite tent, and install the newly finished Ensuite plumbing. 12' of 3/8" ID hi temp red transluscent hose, 1/2"F by 3/8" barb fitting for shower head end, 3/8" barb x 3/4" GHT end for connection to system, male quck disconnect. A bit backwards I know, but it is the direction my quick disconects go...

No photo, but I set up the hose from the heater to the ensuite, 5' of 3/8" x 1/2" OD silicone hi temp hose, 3/4" GHT x barb fittings (male and female) and relevant quick disconnect ends. QDs installed on heater. Incoming in my system always male, outgoing in my system always female.

TODO: Left to do to the system, 3/4" GHT Y fitting, and QDs, 3/4" F GHT x 1/2" MPT (or is it 3/8"?) male adapter and kitchen sink sprayer for sink usage.

I need to rig the water pickup hose / filter such that I can clean it up and use it in my tanks, OR use it to fill the tanks from say a river, stock tank, pond or lake...

As long as gray water isn't a huge concern, and fresh is available, I can extend my stay this way boondocking...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion