What did you do today

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: What did you do today

Postby rjgimp » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:33 pm

twisted lines wrote:Snow's finally gone, someplace's :?
2 cups.jpg

boil.jpg

I believe I have that exact same battery charger. Mine has 2 switches- either 6 or 12 VDC and either 2 or 10 amps. I've had it for around 30 years.
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby twisted lines » Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:07 pm

rjgimp wrote:I believe I have that exact same battery charger. Mine has 2 switches- either 6 or 12 VDC and either 2 or 10 amps. I've had it for around 30 years.

& 50 Amp for Jump start. been a good one, the timer is a little in question sometimes it works; sometimes Na.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby twisted lines » Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:14 pm

these are the last pictures I have taken,
it shows how rusty the anode or sacrificial piece turn's
have seasoned it but not finished.
Attachments
top.jpg
top.jpg (25.12 KiB) Viewed 432 times
Bottom.jpg
Bottom.jpg (25.85 KiB) Viewed 432 times
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:27 pm

We have this folding portable grill

which works great when you leave the legs folded and prop it on rocks. I mean, it's 11 inches tall! Who tries to cook food that far from a fire? And it's not a new problem either. I have a book on camp cooking from the mid-1950's and the author said he cut the legs off and used rocks. So this product defect has been around for 70+ years! So time to stop carping about it (that was how the hep cats said that back in the mid-1950s) and do something.

Admittedly, the "prop it on rocks" solution works great when you have rocks. Problem is we occasionally camp in some pretty civilized places where they evidently trucked away all the natural born local rocks and replaced them with concrete. So I took some scrap angle iron and made this

We'll see how it works. I hope the bolts stay tight with repeated heating. Welding would have been better, and if this works out, Mark II might be one of my first attempts as I learn (after buying the equipment).

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:21 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:Welding would have been better, and if this works out, Mark II might be one of my first attempts as I learn (after buying the equipment).

It's tradition that the first thing you make with your new welder is a cart for your new welder. :thumbsup:
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:40 pm

bdosborn wrote:
Tom&Shelly wrote:Welding would have been better, and if this works out, Mark II might be one of my first attempts as I learn (after buying the equipment).

It's tradition that the first thing you make with your new welder is a cart for your new welder. :thumbsup:
Bruce

Even better! The grill can be Project 2. :D

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby TimC » Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:37 pm

With our weird weather I've been busy this winter getting Eastern Bluebird and Saw Whet Owl nest boxes built. Today I finished installing two Saw Whet nest boxes next to the Menominee River (WI/MI border). IT was two trips of a little more than a mile one way carrying the nest boxes and then a ladder and tools to get them at least three meters up a tree trunk. I installed a trail camera at each and hope to check back once a week to see if there are any takers.

The Northern Saw Whet Owl is the second smallest owl species in North America and has been on the decline due to habitat destruction. While there is a wide swath of the northern US and southern Canada where the Saw Whet breeds they do migrate to the central US in the winter.

In addition, I built 14 "Gilbertson PVC" nest boxes to add to my Bluebird trails I started last year. In 2023 I had 21 "Gilwood" nest boxes up at several trails. I had 9 pairs producing eggs (two pair produced a second brood). Total of 49 eggs, 46 hatchlings and 46 fledglings. That's in addition to two Tree Swallow pairs and one House Wren pair producing broods. A successful first year. I hope to double that production in '24 now that I have some experience with nest box locations. I'm also hoping to get some help monitoring these boxes. 21 boxes last year kept me very busy.

Gilertson nest boxes are named for a Minnesota Bluebird "Citizen Scientist" who developed his designs after many years of trial and error. The Gilwood is a standard wooden box made of pine or cedar. The PVC version was developed to combat invasive species like the European Starling and the House Sparrow which like to kill bluebirds in their nest and then take over the box. The PVC design has proven to help as the Starlings won't fit and the Sparrow does not like the design for some reason.

Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:43 pm

I finished installing two Saw Whet nest boxes...

I'm jealous. I've had a screech owl box on our place for three years with no activity. Obviously, it's in the wrong spot.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:35 pm

TimC wrote:The PVC design has proven to help as the Starlings won't fit and the Sparrow does not like the design for some reason.

Sparrow's instincts tell them to "go sit in the corner"?

Tom :thinking:
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby TimC » Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:37 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:
TimC wrote:The PVC design has proven to help as the Starlings won't fit and the Sparrow does not like the design for some reason.

Sparrow's instincts tell them to "go sit in the corner"?
Tom :thinking:

Ha ha! You might be on to something!
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:42 pm

Actually started this project in December, but life got in the way for a few months. Anyway, I decided to give the utility sink area of our shop a make-over

Before

After

173225 173226

Paid nothing for it. Two of the shelves are from the crates our teardrop doors were shipped in, the deeper one across the top was a scrap board a neighbor was giving away. The under-counter LED light over the sink was from a lot of returns I'd bought a few years ago from a surplus place in Albuquerque for another project, at 10 cents on the dollar. Don't remember where the shelf brackets came from, but they were taking up room with the rest of the miscellaneous hardware in the shop.

Still have to re-hang the first aid kit. Hope I can drill into the concrete without needing the first aid kit! I'll probably move the outlet as well. It was getting expensive using the blue shop towels for everything, so made a holder for regular paper towels for times when lint isn't an issue. Oh! Shelly tells me paper towels are now becoming so popular some companies are actually making holders for them, and so you don't need to make them out of scrap wood. For those of you who are made of money!

Tom
Last edited by Tom&Shelly on Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby twisted lines » Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:24 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:We have this folding portable grill

We'll see how it works. I hope the bolts stay tight with repeated heating. Welding would have been better, and if this works out, Mark II might be one of my first attempts as I learn (after buying the equipment).

Tom

If you wear it out & we cross paths;
I have a rat hole of Laser welded Stainless
I bend the ends and give them away instead of washing :lol:
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion