PVC Pond Liner for roof?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

PVC Pond Liner for roof?

Postby philpom » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:49 pm

I have been back and forth with what to do with my roof top when at the hardware store the other day I found myself standing in from of a rack that had stacks of PVC pond liners. One of them was 7'X10' and I thought that may be perfect as a top layer for the roof. They are 14 mil, UV stable and puncture resistant. I'm thinking you could use contact cement and a roller to glue it down perfectly flat, trim the edges as needed etc. They are black so I also considered that you cold paint them white. I'm thinking about a 1/4" top treated and then the membrane glued on.

Anyone ever consider this use or anyone actually use one? Curious what the thoughts here are about this idea.

Thanks!
philpom
Teardrop Master

Re: PVC Pond Liner for roof?

Postby saltydawg » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:08 pm

If you going to go that way, just look at epm roofing, designed to be a roof. And I would bet you could find a company doing a roof and get a big enough piece for free from their scrap.

Ie no dont use it, and paint will be hard to tick to it.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby HarryL » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:40 pm

If that's the direction your thinking of going, I would put on a TPO roof membrane. It's what they use on many RV roofs. It's very durable and is glued down. Can easily find it on Amazon. I used it to replace the roof on my other 25' RV and it was fairly easy to do.

I'm thinking that when I redo my Teardrop I will use the TPO roof membrane.
HarryL
Teardrop Builder

Postby Squigie » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:01 am

Even if claimed to be "UV stable" PVC will still degrade with exposure to sunlight, heat, and anything alkali. This is one of the reasons why they require replacement every 10 years, or less, even when covered with the prescribed 12" or more soil over them (especially if that soil is alkali).
14 mil is also pretty thin. I'd be surprised if that was good for even 3-5 years as a trailer roof.

If you want to look into a membrane roof, look into membranes intended for the purpose.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby twisted lines » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:10 am

saltydawg wrote:If you going to go that way, just look at epm roofing, designed to be a roof. And I would bet you could find a company doing a roof and get a big enough piece for free from their scrap.

I think this is the stuff I have had to repair a building underneath it. :thumbsup: It's white & Tough.

I have done very large ponds as well, I would got the above route by far.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby philpom » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:24 pm

Thanks everyone. Moments after posting this I started searching online for roof membranes and came across a wide variety. I am going to get the hard roof down and painted, then put one of these membranes on it. Should work perfectly for me, is repairable or even replaceable as needed.
philpom
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:56 am

RE: RV “membranes” … We bought a Jayco with a ” membrane roof ". Upon inspection , it turned out the membrane was the equivalent and thinness of a cheap dollar store plastic tablecloth , complete with some “ material “ on the back that ABSORBED water and spread it all over the cheap untreated 3/32” plywood they used for the “roof “ .. Of course it failed quickly , the first storm and a fallen branch punched ten holes right THROUGH the roof into the cabin … :frightened: ( not covered under warranty , a $5000 bill at the RV dealer … to replace it with the same “crap" . Insured naturally through the RV dealer , who was very chummy with the insurance adjuster … ( scam )

On our newest Foamie trailer , we used an 18 ounce heavyweight canvas , glued down and painted , and it’s sat outside for 7 years + now without any roof failure ;) … Easily replaceable , easy to install … and TOUGH !!! Branches , hail , just bounce off … :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:02 pm

I used TPO to cover the old tin roof on my "big trailer". Been there for 5 years and doing great.

IMG_6737.JPG
IMG_6737.JPG (219.84 KiB) Viewed 1735 times
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby WizardOfOdds » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:50 pm

Very interesting topic.

Question: What are those heavy (usually black) coverings you see on 18 wheelers (going down the highway at 70+ mph) made of?? They seem to hold up very well. Perhaps vinyl??

I love the idea of using vinyl for exteriors. Vinyl siding is great for trailer sides, but has obvious seam issues for roofs.

My 11 years of experience with clear vinyl for windows suggests a life of about 5 years or more. So I have been looking into sheet vinyl for the roof, especially if I can get it in a light color.

After reading a related article
https://rvinspiration.com/rv-life/cheap-diy-rv-skirting/
I am considering using vinyl like that sold by the links found there:
https://billboardtarps.com/
and
https://www.coversandall.com

According to these vendors, it is often used as pond liners, but mostly for billboards. It’s available in various colors; the cheap stuff is white on one side. They are also available from 9 to 50 mil thick.

Anyone have any first hand experience with these vinyl tarps??
WizardOfOdds: Chalet shaped rag roof clam shell TIER drop for 4 cylinder tow
Tip Top Tier Drop thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56232
Unusual Designs thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64495
Tale of 2 Trailers thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=61451
WizardOfOdds
Teardrop Master

Postby les45 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:33 am

saltydawg wrote:If you going to go that way, just look at epm roofing, designed to be a roof. And I would bet you could find a company doing a roof and get a big enough piece for free from their scrap.

+1 for EPDM roof. I used it on my latest project and it seems to be holding up fine. I found the EPDM material cut to my specs on Amazon. It does require a compatible glue and should be sealed with Dicor type caulk products.
les45
500 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:18 am

After Zeta we had a couple holes in our tin roof ( R-panel) from a tree falling on the house … The roofing company waiting for more tin , came out and applied a sticky rubber to the roof to temporarily stop any leaks … They called it “ Ice shield “ … Next time they come out I’ll get a piece for “ testing” … :thinking: :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Squigie » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:43 pm

Ice shield is a polyethylene underlayment. It won't last with UV exposure.
It is meant to be a last line of defense for the roof sheeting if ice damns form and cause water to creep under shingles.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:30 am

Thanks Squigie !!! We don’t have Ice here , and it looked Interesting and sticky backed would be easy … !!! Maybe under something else ??? :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby WizardOfOdds » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:21 am

GPW: Maybe something like this..
https://buymbs.com/p-113-mfm-peel-seal-self-stick-roll-roofing.aspx?vid=8895&utm_source=Connexity_cpc&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_campaign=MFM

From that posted ad...

"Peel & Seal roll roofing is 33ft. 6in. long and is ideal for roofs and surfaces that are difficult to waterproof and can be used on many surfaces including: metal roofs, mobile homes, RVs or trailers, and sunroofs."

" ... is made of aluminum composite foil, polymer films, and a rubberized asphalt adhesive back, making it flexible and self-adhering. Peel & Seal roll roofing will not tear, crack or dry out over time. It is designed specifically to reflect heat and resist water and exposure to other elements without any additional coverage needed."

How heavy is it? ... Looks like about a pound per square foot.
What colors? They provide several.
OK on wood or metal, but does it dissolve foam?
Watch the videos, study the links.
Let us know what you think
WizardOfOdds: Chalet shaped rag roof clam shell TIER drop for 4 cylinder tow
Tip Top Tier Drop thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56232
Unusual Designs thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64495
Tale of 2 Trailers thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=61451
WizardOfOdds
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:21 am

Wiz, That ’s Cool !!! :thumbsup: