Boondocking Logistics for Poo

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Boondocking Logistics for Poo

Postby lfhoward » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:18 pm

Hi everyone,

I will be boondocking for the first time next month at a campsite in a state forest. The only accommodations it has are a picnic table and fire ring.

Previously we have always camped at state park campgrounds. Prior to the pandemic, we always tried to get a campground that had hot showers and flush toilets. Since the pandemic, we’ve adapted to using a privacy shelter (aka the potty tent) with a Luggable Loo, garbage bags, and kitty litter. That way we don’t have to come in contact with other humans carrying the virus. It’s worked pretty well, as I can dispose of the trash bags of kitty litter in the campground dumpster.

Now back to the idea of boondocking. There is no dumpster and the forest has a carry in, carry out policy for trash. If it were just me I would dig a hole and bury my poo, but that strategy doesn’t fly with the rest of the family. They want to continue using the potty tent. So, what to do? My trash bag and kitty litter strategy will probably not work to keep the smell at bay, and I don’t want any spills.

I’ve been looking at these “Double Doodie” sealed bags. Does anyone here have experience with them? Would they seal the smell in for 5 days & 4 nights until the end of a boondocking trip (it’ll be cold thankfully so that will help)? Then I can take them to a dumpster once we get back to civilization.

https://www.rei.com/product/823665

If not these, what other ideas do you all have? Thanks a lot!
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Boondocking Logistics for Poo

Postby bdosborn » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:22 pm

I bit the bullet and bought a case of these 6 years ago. We use it to line the toilet in our cabin when we were up there during the winter as we turn the water off. I also use them for the camper. I was up at the cabin by myself for a weekend and had several of them stored in the back of the truck. I could definitely smell them a little at the end of my trip, and they were out in the cold. Pretty amazing when you consider that the poo is double bagged. And we don't pee in them, only poop. They're super convenient to use but I wouldn't want a pile of them anywhere near me. I'll probably buy another case when we use them up.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:27 pm

I've used the double doody bags. I add extra cat litter, and when they get about 1/2 full I pack them up and put in a new one. I put them in a trash bag and dump it the first place I can. I try and carry them outside for obvious reasons. But honestly, once they are closed up with the cat litter I don't smell anything.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:58 pm

Thank you Bruce and Tom! Both of these options sound doable. I found a good deal on the Cleanwaste WAG bags on eBay and bought some. It will be an interesting experiment!

lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby working on it » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:14 pm

* I use Luggable Loo, Double-Doody bags, kitchen wipes, and a spare 5-gallon bucket (w/locking top) for my personal campsite usage (carry waste home for disposal). I also made a 5-gallon urine receptacle that also goes home. That's the good thing about my compartmentalized, sealed truck bed....

* If the park site is open, I use "disposable/flushable" wipes, and carry a baggie with kitchen wipes (for carry home, sealed, after heavy cleaning), when I use the facilities. Like bdosborn, I carry TravelJohn-Disposal Urinals (which have magic gel inside for no spills), in my truck for emergency use, as well.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby lfhoward » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:27 pm

Working on it, Thank you for your perspective and experience as well. Having an additional 5 gallon bucket with a sealing lid is a good idea for minimizing the smell of used bags. I may grab one of those next time I am at a big box store. Wish I had an empty joint compound bucket because that would be just right... I thought I had one left over from a house project, but checked the basement and no dice.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:18 am

A 7 gallon bucket make the setting height all but perfect. Leave the lid installed and find old toilet seat. Place it on the lid and trace for the seat opening. Leave enough to place 3 or 4 (very short) screws thru the remaining portion of the lid and into the seat ring. Mr. Stinkey has served me for 6 years now ! I do bag up my leavings immediately so there really is no lingering odor. If you choose multiple use option another lid could be snapped on and off but tall kitchen bars are just not that costly. Total cost ZERO :D

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Socal Tom » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:39 am

slowcowboy wrote:I have seen online that Colorado has so many people out camping to hide from the wacky times and the crazzyness in states back east that they are haveing problems down there with human manure piling up.they are starting to have a problem in all there camp grounds and national forests getting rid of more than normal crap amounts due to way more than normal people out in the woods...????..slow

I''ve seen primitive campgrounds that had to close for a period of time from too many people burying their waste. Eventually the whole place was contaminated.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby dmb90260 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:05 am

I have the full Cleanwaste system and recommend it. You can stash the bags in another container to take out and there should not be any odor. On the plus side they offer a tent that is the easier to put there is. After one or two practices you can almost shake it to erect it. I also made a wooden from to hold the toilet seat when stored. I put the toilet seat on the wooden base and it raises it another 2-3 inches making it almost handicapped toilet height. Very nice for old tall guys.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby saltydawg » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:11 am

I have a porta potty, it says the tank holds 50 flushes. I have not used it yet, but I will only use it for number 2, I will still pee on a tree. It should get me thru at least a long weekend.

As for digging a hole, that never made sense to me, sure its out of sight out of mind. I have always just qone far away from camp. I have even "checked" on my previous visits and after 3 days you cant tell. I do bag the tp though.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby dmb90260 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:24 am

dmb90260 wrote:I have the full Cleanwaste system and recommend it. You can stash the bags in another container to take out and there should not be any odor. On the plus side they offer a tent that is the easier to put there is. After one or two practices you can almost shake it to erect it. I also made a wooden from to hold the toilet seat when stored. I put the toilet seat on the wooden base and it raises it another 2-3 inches making it almost handicapped toilet height. Very nice for old tall guys.

It is also very handy when the water is shut off at home. :thumbsup:

Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Ottsville » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:58 am

lfhoward wrote: Wish I had an empty joint compound bucket because that would be just right... I thought I had one left over from a house project, but checked the basement and no dice.

If you ever drive near a residential construction site, check the dumpster. I've gotten bunches of buckets over the years that way. And good kindling.
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:07 am

dmb90260 wrote:164091

Mine fits in the trailer:

Believe me, you did not want to go in there for awhile. :frightened: But the view was fantastic!

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:05 pm

saltydawg wrote:I have a porta potty, it says the tank holds 50 flushes. I have not used it yet, but I will only use it for number 2, I will still pee on a tree. It should get me thru at least a long weekend.

As for digging a hole, that never made sense to me, sure its out of sight out of mind. I have always just qone far away from camp. I have even "checked" on my previous visits and after 3 days you cant tell. I do bag the tp though.

I did the porta potty thing for a while. The bag system is actually much easier to deal with, you can toss the bags in any trashcan. Porta potties require someplace like a bathroom, or sewer dump station to dispose of them. Then you need to clean them out, and dumping them without making a mess is always a challenge, and its not a mess you want to deal with when it happens. ( plus they are heavy).
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:42 pm

I had never heard of Cleanwaste, so, I looked them up. In one of their question and answer sections (I think it was through REI), they said that each bag was good for 3 to 4 poo deposits/sittings. If there are two of you, that means two poos each for the day. Two poos may be okay for a normal or average person but I thought you should be aware of this. If you happen to have a stomach upset or don't have the average digestive system, even one entire bag would not be enough for one person. (You don't have to ask me how I know. :oops: ) Double Dootie bags are good for 8 to 12 hours, regardless of one or two people. Because of that, I would suggest that you keep a couple Double Dootie bags on hand in case someone has a digestive upset. That might save you in times of trouble.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Next

Return to General Discussion