Boondocking Logistics for Poo

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Boondocking Logistics for Poo

Postby S. Heisley » Mon May 31, 2021 6:30 pm

Okay, potty fans! They are now selling double bags without the gel in them and I accidentally bought some. Tried this and liked it for the first 10 minutes then the smell changed from a nice lemon smell to I don't know what. Ewww! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074G ... UTF8&psc=1

So, I went to Tractor Supply and bought a 40 lb. bag of pine pellets for six bucks! Wow! Do those work great! I should have tried them sooner! Put the sack in the bucket; put the seat/lid back on; sprinkle in a small amount of the pine pellets. With each trip to the loo, add a little more. It doesn't take much. It all disappears below the billowing bag so you don't see anything but the bag and THERE IS NO SMELL! Who knew! I'm a convert! :o
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby friz » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:32 am

The wife is getting more insistent on having at least emergency facilities available when we camp. Here is my current solution. A brown "color appropriate" bucket, walmart camping toilet seat, tidy cat and 10 gal kitchen bags.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Last edited by friz on Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:50 pm

So the crappy discussion comes up here LOL...

So you've decided to go with the bucket toilet / luggable loo routine. And now you need to deal with the waste stream. And unfortunately you are ulling the trailer with a small SUV (?).

So my big question would be, do you have any issues with adding a cargo basket to the roof of the trailer?

What I am thinking, and I could EASILY be wrong here, but you could / should use the bags and clumping media such as cat litter, or bio gel bags like Double Doodie bags etc... but to stay out 5 days or more, I would think you would need to have a leakproof container you could store the used bags in that. And preferrably an exterior method of hauling said container of waste to a proper waste container.

On the counter though. I personally use a flushing 5 gallon toilet, and between my wife and I, we don't quite fill it in 5 days... Using the bio enzyme whatever chem packs, no real odors so nothing to worry about.

For what it's worth, I found the Luggable Loo to be more easily manageable than the flushing Port o Potty, however my wife was having absolutely nothing to do with any portable toilet that would not flush... so here we are...
Last edited by dbhosttexas on Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:38 pm

To me, the only question is whether to bring the short handled shovel, or stick with the folding army (German--in our case) entrenching tool.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:06 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:To me, the only question is whether to bring the short handled shovel, or stick with the folding army (German--in our case) entrenching tool.

Tom

As I was posting this, Shelly was out getting her "hair done" and buying some junk from Home Depot. When she got home, she put this together in the bed of our truck:

Short handed shovel it is! :thumbsup:

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby friz » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:34 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:
Tom&Shelly wrote:To me, the only question is whether to bring the short handled shovel, or stick with the folding army (German--in our case) entrenching tool.

Tom

As I was posting this, Shelly was out getting her "hair done" and buying some junk from Home Depot. When she got home, she put this together in the bed of our truck:

Short handed shovel it is!

Tom
For some reason my wife is horrified at the idea of digging a hole and pooping in it. Before I was married, I spent weeks in the backcountry trying to get lost. My facilities consisted of a plastic trowl and a roll of TP in a plastic bag. That ended in 1994.

The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:39 am

friz wrote:
Tom&Shelly wrote:

Tom

Short handed shovel it is!

Tom
For some reason my wife is horrified at the idea of digging a hole and pooping in it. Before I was married, I spent weeks in the backcountry trying to get lost. My facilities consisted of a plastic trowl and a roll of TP in a plastic bag. That ended in 1994.

I highly suspect a number of us here, and other fora, have had their various levels of camp comfort adjusted for us by significant others, and age...

I have been happily backpacking with a cheap poly tarp and some line, as cheapest possible sleeping bag from K-Mart, a trowel and TP for a bathroom, and relying on a garage sale bottle top single burner propane stove. Yes, a propane stove for backpacking. I was MUCH younger at the time...

Now I'm on airbeds with a flushing toilet and hot shower. I would have been perfectly hapy with the Luggable Loo but like I said, the Mrs. had a massive ick reaction to that idea...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:47 pm

:lol: I have a friend who refuses to "pee in a pail". So, she has an RV and wrestles one of those black tubes. I refuse to wrestle a black tube! :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby godskid » Sun May 14, 2023 7:44 pm

Thanks for this discussion … reviewing it a few years later for an upcoming trip!
godskid
The 300 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun May 14, 2023 8:31 pm

We switched to a Cleanwaste toilet and like it a LOT better than the old bucket/lid.

;)

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Mon May 15, 2023 6:15 am

The combined effects of a lifetime of injuries, and slowly advancing arthritis mean I am no longer interested in the hole in the ground approach.
Not to mention, Australia's ecosystems are a trifle too delicate to risk contamination with untreated human waste.
I'm not real interested in porta potties, and the usual "seat on a bucket" luggable loos are actually more than an inch narrower and an inch shorter than a standard toilet seat. So when I was walking past a trailer of demolition spoil that included an as new toilet seat, I liberated the seat and made my own version of a toilet bucket.
Looks like most, but the seat is full size. It'll do me. It rides in the back of the ute to my destination, then a scoop of kitty litter per visit takes care of everything.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby bdosborn » Mon May 15, 2023 8:14 am

lfhoward wrote:I wanted to post details here about how easy these CleanWaste bags really are to use.

We use these bags too; there's an eBay vendor that has a good price:
Cleanwaste Go Anywhere Toilet Kit

I just bought a case so we should be good for awhile. Our van potti solution is to use a porta potti for #1 only and line the bowl with the cleanwaste bags for #2. There's a cabinet that the potti rides in during the day (out of sight, out of mind) and I take it out and set it behind the drivers seat during the night. I bought the Porta Potti used (ewwww, but it hadn't been *used*) from Amazon for super cheap awhile back.

If the price goes through the roof on the cleanwaste bags (it tends to go up a lot after natural disasters) I'll probably use commode liners instead.

Going forward, I'm very interested in the Cuddy but can't get past the price right now:
https://compocloset.com/product/cuddy/

Bruce

P.S. The reason we need an internal potti solution is that we started using Harvest Host and they don't have facilities available.
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon May 15, 2023 3:25 pm

MickinOz wrote:Australia's ecosystems are a trifle too delicate to risk contamination with untreated human waste.

We probably don't have that problem in the US. I mean, unlike much of our political commentary, at least we bury the waste. :NC

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby S. Heisley » Mon May 15, 2023 6:01 pm

Check those potties with the legs now and again. A friend of mine had the leg break off while she was sitting on it! Ewww!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bdosborn » Mon May 15, 2023 7:32 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Check those potties with the legs now and again. A friend of mine had the leg break off while she was sitting on it! Ewww!

I can't resist. ;)

Boy, she sure had a crappy day...

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion