Is Insulating the trailer necessary

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Is Insulating the trailer necessary

Postby Capebuild » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:02 pm

Does everyone insulate their trailer? I know it's probably a given if you're planning to camp in the winter.
I realize maybe insulating the roof is a good idea, since most heat will rise and escape from there.
I suppose I'm looking for people's thoughts on the issue.

thanks very much.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Re: Is Insulting the trailer necessary

Postby Bezoar » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:21 pm

In lurking around the forum, it appears the consensus is that it cuts down on condensation on the inside walls from breathing. Reducing campground noise is frequently mentioned as well.
Bezoar
Teardrop Master

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:33 pm

I insulated the walls and roof including the hatch on TD #1.
It was more work and for us not worth it.
Subsequent builds I didn't insulate the walls just used 3/4" plywood with 1/8" Red Oak on the interior.
I do insulate the roof and hatch. :thumbsup:
The only thing we noticed was TD #1 was quieter and a smidgen warmer, but we have a ceramic heater and mattress warmer so no biggie.
It's a lot easier to build and I like the strength of a solid plywood wall.
Like you said, the roof is where you loose and gain heat the most, I've heard it's 60 to 70 percent.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby tony.latham » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:34 pm

Does everyone insulate their trailer? I know it's probably a given if you're planning to camp in the winter.

We don't camp in the winter.

I bought my first teardrop in 2004. It had been commercially built using solid walls––the roof was insulated. We commonly get chilly nights here in Idaho and it had a bad condensation problem. (With the windows cracked.) We kept a bath towel inside just for that problem.

For us, it's not about warmth. We can always turn on the Propex heater. It's about condensation on cold nights.

I'll always build with insulated walls. I think it's a big deal. :frightened: I might suggest building for your climate. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:50 pm

I was pleased to see that someone wasn’t insulting someone’s trailer.

Even the last 4 season trailer (if there is such a thing beyond a sales pitch) we owned condensation was a problem. Certainly in colder conditions, Grand Canyon, Sedona, Bryce, Montana and such. I hope it will help in noisy campgrounds too. I’m for sure insulating this planned build.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:35 pm

You'll never regret insulating. But you may regret not insulating.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Capebuild » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:32 pm

Thanks very much for the insightful comments. For the condensation issue alone, it seems like insulating is worth it.
Starting to draw everything up and I started thinking more about insulating..... so thanks for the help
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby wannabefree » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:55 pm

Condensation? We've never had that problem. We put insulation anywhere there was a gap I could stuff it, except the floor.
However, to those experiencing condensation, do you have any airflow when you are shut up in your tiny box? These trailers can be pretty tight and by my calculations in our tear there is enough air to get us through about 5 hours, then we don't wake up. We always crack open a window and the roof vent so as to not suffocate. We have camped in snow and still have some ventilation because I am not ready for the alternative, yet.
In anything at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
wannabefree
The 300 Club

Postby John61CT » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:55 pm

Yes gotta keep those durn trailers in their place or they get uppity.

Seriously, if using energy for heating or cooling then yes, IMO must insulate.

Otherwise if you only camp where you'd be comfortable in a screened tent

just sufficient controlled ventilation is enough against condensation,

except in very humid climates, especially swampy deep south and the PNW.

So, as usual "it depends"
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:47 am

...to those experiencing condensation, do you have any airflow when you are shut up in your tiny box?

When we had our 2004 Hunter--that had the condensation problem--we always cracked the windows.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tomterrific » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:04 pm

We have rarely camped where it got below freezing, 40 yes. No insulation on walls, only ceiling and front. No condensation problem. Our camper is more of an open cargo inside and we sleep with full ventilation.

I don't think insulation is needed but the roof builds better with insulation. Most, if not all, campers are built with roof ribs. Thin plywood is bent over the ribs and a ceiling is bent under. Stiff board insulation fills the space between the two and adds strength.

I have thin ply walls with battens for stiffness. I have thought it would still be possible to place insulation between the battens and add thin ply over the sides. Good way to build light.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby saywhatthat » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:41 pm

The way most insulation on walls is a waste of time and money . most foames are great . the rest a waste. .Any place you have wood it may be R1 so will bridge cold to hot there are hot to cold . You see many do cut out and shove insulation in there .what a waste you will have air movement if not tape off .The small airy of insulation will bled to the R1 sideways
Il suffit de le faire
fast, cheap, fiberglass/ foam stressed skin panels
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73945

Build 4.5 by 8' using Trailtop fiberglass Components
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70729
saywhatthat
500 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:41 pm

This is a plug taken from the side of Compass Rose for the AC ducts, it illustrates a second advantage, a light weight build as the EPS holds inner and outer walls together. Our fight is more from heat rather than cold and the calculations I made is sizing the AC incorporated insulation. A further good thing is that it also insulates you from your neighbors barking dogs and loud music.

164418 163294 143656
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby robfisher » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:14 pm

saywhatthat wrote:The way most insulation on walls is a waste of time and money . most foames are great . the rest a waste. .Any place you have wood it may be R1 so will bridge cold to hot there are hot to cold . You see many do cut out and shove insulation in there .what a waste you will have air movement if not tape off .The small airy of insulation will bled to the R1 sideways

Most of us who do the cut outs want to remove weight from the trailer. We fill the void with foam for strength AND insulation.
May seem like a waste of time and money to you but for those who want a trailer as light as possible it's not
robfisher
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MickinOz » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:11 pm

I didn't insulate.
Here in South Oz, nights below freezing are rare, so not too worried about keeping warm.
Condensation is the concern, I guess.
I didn't want to put a vent in the roof, so what I did was put in some butterfly vents.
Two at head level and two up high. The idea is that we should get some convection happening, resulting in a little continuous air flow.
Maybe, one day, I'll actually use the trailer in earnest and get back to you on whether that was a bad move or not.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Next

Return to General Discussion