Ottertex Fabric

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Ottertex Fabric

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:39 am

I just bought some Ottertex® Polyester Ripstop (PU) - 8.7 oz, so it's late to ask if anyone has experience with it. Details/specs looked good enough to just go for it. I'm coming from Duck Cloth and want something a bit better..

Really hoping I didn't make a mistake.. I'll know personally next Wednesday.

Anyone have experience with the material?
RJ Howell
500 Club
 
Posts: 847
Images: 34
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:08 am

Re: Ottertex Fabric

Postby John61CT » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:44 am

To use for what purpose?
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1865
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:36 pm

Re: Ottertex Fabric

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:01 am

John61CT wrote:To use for what purpose?


What did you use it for John? How did it work out?
RJ Howell
500 Club
 
Posts: 847
Images: 34
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:08 am
Top

Re: Ottertex Fabric

Postby John61CT » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:00 am

Not purchased but possibly looking at for PMF
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1865
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:36 pm
Top

Re: Ottertex Fabric

Postby Pmullen503 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:02 am

Are you going to sew up something or try to cover foam with it? Looks like it would be tough to glue.
Pmullen503
500 Club
 
Posts: 722
Images: 58
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:33 pm
Location: Fond du Lac, WI
Top

Re: Ottertex Fabric

Postby John61CT » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:21 am

Epoxy based resins should be OK

Not like polyethylenes, the slippery low-friction HDPE stuff
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1865
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:36 pm
Top

Re: Ottertex Fabric

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:56 am

Pmullen503 wrote:Are you going to sew up something or try to cover foam with it? Looks like it would be tough to glue.


No, no.. I'm replacing my pop-top walls.
RJ Howell
500 Club
 
Posts: 847
Images: 34
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:08 am
Top

Re: Ottertex Fabric

Postby Modstock » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:24 pm

Some materials are hard to gauge till ya feel it in your hand.
Sometimes you can request samples.

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk
Modstock
500 Club
 
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:18 am
Location: Salt lake , Utah
Top

Re: Ottertex Fabric

Postby RJ Howell » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:18 am

I received the delivery and it is heavier than the Ripstop Nylon I used for me fly. Very nice PU coating on it and feels like it will sew well. I bought a pack of microtex sharp needles being some of the smallest hole needles around and of course 100% polyester thread that matches the Ottertex material. Looks like a sewing project coming up!
RJ Howell
500 Club
 
Posts: 847
Images: 34
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:08 am
Top

Re: Ottertex Fabric

Postby dbhosttexas » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:44 am

Keep us posted on this! I am curious to see how you deal with the pop up. You are trying to address leakage issues right?
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club
 
Posts: 323
Images: 1
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:52 am
Top

Re: Ottertex Fabric

Postby RJ Howell » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:13 am

dbhosttexas wrote:Keep us posted on this! I am curious to see how you deal with the pop up. You are trying to address leakage issues right?


The duck cloth works great in normal downpours. When we get those 'tropical' pours it's just too much water and the cloth wicks the water. Now this is only at one point at the bottom where I have a fold and secure the cloth. You'd think that wouldn't amount to much, but... oh does it! Second point of contention is the front windows.. Because my 'loft', extension over the cab, only goes halfway the splash back in a tropical downpour hits almost the entire front panel. It's just too much water on my windows and it wicks through.

This material does not wick!! That should cure the initial issue I'm having. It's thicker/stronger than any other ripstop nylon I have used before and this coating is supposed to be one of the best. So far it sews well with these microtech needles which the thread just fills the needle hole nicely. I'm also working through doing an awning above each window with the same material on the idea of how the rooftop tents do it.

Image
RJ Howell
500 Club
 
Posts: 847
Images: 34
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:08 am
Top

Re: Ottertex Fabric

Postby dbhosttexas » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:25 am

RJ Howell wrote:
dbhosttexas wrote:Keep us posted on this! I am curious to see how you deal with the pop up. You are trying to address leakage issues right?


The duck cloth works great in normal downpours. When we get those 'tropical' pours it's just too much water and the cloth wicks the water. Now this is only at one point at the bottom where I have a fold and secure the cloth. You'd think that wouldn't amount to much, but... oh does it! Second point of contention is the front windows.. Because my 'loft', extension over the cab, only goes halfway the splash back in a tropical downpour hits almost the entire front panel. It's just too much water on my windows and it wicks through.

This material does not wick!! That should cure the initial issue I'm having. It's thicker/stronger than any other ripstop nylon I have used before and this coating is supposed to be one of the best. So far it sews well with these microtech needles which the thread just fills the needle hole nicely. I'm also working through doing an awning above each window with the same material on the idea of how the rooftop tents do it.

Image


Got it. Just FYI, have you considered trying a DIY waterproofer for your existing duct cloth? I don't remember the ratio offhand, but basically clear silicone mixed with mineral spirits, brushed on and allowed to thoroughly dry. I used to do that decades ago with my old VW Westfalia as it had a pretty much plain canvas wick of a pop up tent. I had it in Arizona and during monsoon season it held tight. I know not the same as wetter environments, but when it did rain there, it REALLY rained...

Just thowing that out there, might save you some labor...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club
 
Posts: 323
Images: 1
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:52 am
Top

Re: Ottertex Fabric

Postby RJ Howell » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:39 am

I've done the silicone/mineral sprits, scotch guard, linseed oil (with and without mineral sprits) and finally paraffin wax melted in/on. No joy! Each has it's on con...

I'm not convinced that buying quality 'waterproof' material from the start is well worth the investment. In the case of the Ottertex, it's cost is equal to the duck cloth I bought a few years back. And it's so much easier to work with!

If I could have sourced marine vinyl inexpensively, I would have gone that way.
RJ Howell
500 Club
 
Posts: 847
Images: 34
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:08 am
Top

Re: Ottertex Fabric

Postby Modstock » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:36 am

Well if the Otter-tex dosent work out there is K-tex. We use it at my work for Dump truck covers, semi trucks, boom covers, ect.
Very strong and water aint getting through it but you'll need a industrial machine to sew it up or have a upholstery shop that works with this sew it up for you.
If you go this route, I can help. Shoot me a PM.



Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk
Modstock
500 Club
 
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:18 am
Location: Salt lake , Utah
Top

Re: Ottertex Fabric

Postby RJ Howell » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:15 am

Modstock wrote:Well if the Otter-tex dosent work out there is K-tex. We use it at my work for Dump truck covers, semi trucks, boom covers, ect.
Very strong and water aint getting through it but you'll need a industrial machine to sew it up or have a upholstery shop that works with this sew it up for you.
If you go this route, I can help. Shoot me a PM.



Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk


Thanks!

So far I like the Ottertex. It's held up to some decent winds & rain nicely. Still time will tell on the durability..
RJ Howell
500 Club
 
Posts: 847
Images: 34
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:08 am
Top


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests