Tire pressure

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Tire pressure

Postby Spotman » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:56 am

What is everyone running on their teardrop? Heard several different pressures from other sites. Does it depend on your weight and speed?Image

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
2018 Heartland Terry Classic V21
2018 Toyota Tundra DC
Spotman
500 Club

Re: Tire pressure

Postby gudmund » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:24 am

max fully loaded = 1800lbs with 205/75x14 "CAR" tires - run 32-35psi................. 166579
gudmund
500 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:52 am

My 15” Goodyear Endurance trailer tires say 65 psi for maximum load so I run them at 50 psi.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Squigie » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:28 am

Most manufacturers have pressure vs weight charts, so you can get close to "ideal".
I usually just estimate, based on trailer weight and tire max load vs max pressure.

Topping up the pop up tent trailer tires later today, in fact. 80 psi max. I don't recall tire max load; but the trailer gross is 1,865 lb, and I'll take the tires to about 68-70 psi.
I hate having tires that hard, but they're little 12 inchers. Don't have much choice.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby TimC » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:35 am

My trailer is around 1500 lbs and has ST175/80R13 Kenda radials. I followed Patrick's advice in the thread below and made a wet impression on the concrete until the width of the tire showed up. My results were just over 40 lbs and I run at 45 lbs which still shows complete tread width.

Per an etrailer answer "this radial tire has a maximum load of 1,360 pounds at 50 psi".

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=73693&hilit=+tire+pressure
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby DrewsBrews » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:18 am

PSI=Pounds per square inch. This directly correlates to how many pounds of weight on the tire for how many square inches of surface area on the tire contact patch. There is a roughly ideal pressure (especially for bias ply) for a certain tire with certain amount of weight where you get appropriate contact patch size for good tire wear with minimal waste heat generated from sidewall flexing. Speed doesn't play much into it except if aired down too much, causing excessive sidewall flexing that generates enough heat past a certain speed for the tire to begin failing.

Personally, on bias plys I air down until I can just barely notice the faintest whiff of a flat section at the edge of the tread looking from the side. Indicating the contact patch has reached the full width of the tread. Higher pressure than that and you are riding on a narrower section of the tread and will wear down that section faster... wearing out the tire faster.
Radials are more difficult to tell because their construction tries to maintain an even contact patch width while having a more flexible sidewall. Though this should mean they are more tolerant of varying pressures anyway, allowing to tune pressure to performance goals instead of being so focused on maintaining tire health and longevity.
DrewsBrews
Donating Member

Postby bartek » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:30 pm

I was looking for this info some time ago, and found multiple sources recommending inflating trailer tires to max pressure.
E.g.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-78836.html

So far I've been inflating mine just under (to about 45-50psi).
Image 6x10 family teardrop, build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73426
bartek
Teardrop Advisor

Postby working on it » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:49 am

* I've always inflated ST bias-ply tires to max cold pressures to ensure enough sidewall stiffness for the trailer's load, whether on single or dual axle trailers. When I used ST radials (on the dual axle trailers), I did the same, since I was carrying loads at or near the load rating of the tires and/or axles. I've never used P tires on a trailer (though the 4.5x12 ?? trailer utility I recently acquired has them), and will not use them for heavy loads, anyway.

* I now use LT tires on my 4x8, which is heavy for its' size, at 2225 lbs. loaded. I switched from ST bias plies, with stiff sidewalls, so to maintain stiff sidewalls on the LT's, I inflate them to 50 psi, their max cold pressure. Rated for 1520 lbs each, they can support 3040 lbs (37% more than the load, which rises each season), and I like the added safety margin (at least 25% is my standard goal). There is no bounce from the full pressure, as I've made an always active bump stop/cushion that absorbs jolts. Since my 3500 lb axle has no camber, and the 3000 lbs springs can easily handle the trailer weight, the tires maintain a flat footprint on the road.

* I also run LT tires on my '04 Chevy 2500HD tow vehicle, which has been modified to carry/tow 12000 lbs (I carry about 1000 lbs in the bed, at all times). I ran 50psi in front/80psi in the rear when pulling my loaded race car trailer, 48psi front/72psi rear for my 4x8. I've only reduced the pressure to 45/70 once, when I had to drive the 2WD truck on snow/ice for 200+ miles (I couldn't tell if any traction advantage was gained).

* I really don't see the need to reduce air pressure, for a better ride on most US roads, on a standard-sized small recreational trailer, if weight/balance/spring characteristics are in harmony. On a leaf spring suspension, the spring rate must be within the normal range of the loads carried, with some sort of shock absorber to help handle the ride motion. On torsion-springed axles, that motion is somewhat controlled by the axle itself, though it must be rated nearly the same as the loaded trailer to handle ride motion without bottoming-out, or bouncing. Timbren axles are much the same as torsion axles, IMO, so the operator/owner must get the right spring rating, or at least get close. Trailing arm suspensions, with adjustable air springs or coil-overs are the best choice for variable loading or road conditions, but very expensive to get right, and not usually found on small recreational trailers like most built on this forum.

* Under-inflated tires build excess heat, and are subject to blow-outs, or tread loss. I'd rather chance some jarring of the trailer contents, a bouncy ride, or uneven treadwear, from fully-inflated tires, than catastrophic tire failure from under-inflation.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:13 am

bartek wrote:I was looking for this info some time ago, and found multiple sources recommending inflating trailer tires to max pressure.
E.g.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-78836.html

So far I've been inflating mine just under (to about 45-50psi).

Several manufacturers have pressure/load tables indicating that you don’t need max pressure if you don’t have max load. Over pressure will lead to the tire wearing too quickly and potentially overheating the area that actually contacts the road.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:30 am

when running "ST"(trailer) specific tires running less than the "max PSI" as found on the tire sidewall can increase the tire temps thusly inviting premature issues(failure)

underinflate "ST" tires at your own risk

those using automobile or LT(light truck) tires will not have the same results

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby drhill » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:21 am

"ST" trailer tires can be found in both bias ply and radial ply construction. If you have tiny bias ply tires, inflate to the max and cross your fingers.
Radial ST tires can and should be adjusted to the proper inflation for the load you are carrying. My teardrop has 205/75R14 ST tires (max 50 psi) and I have been running them at about 32 psi for 7 yrs & 40,000 kms. But don't take it from me:

https://tirepressure.com/special-trailer-tire-load-and-inflation-table
drhill
Teardrop Master

Postby Socal Tom » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:37 am

As with just about everything these days, you can find "experts" on both sides of the question. For my experience, at max inflation my TD spends a lot of time air born. Its been much better for my TD and everything in it to run at about 30 PSI. I've been running it that way for about 5 years now with no negative consequences. However ST tires are pretty much the cheapest POS tires out there, so YMMV. My suggestion, is look up the info for the manufacturer of your tire and follow the recommendations, rather than following the opinions of a bunch of people who aren't tire engineers, don't know anything about your tires or the load or conditions.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Spotman » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:58 am

Socal Tom wrote:As with just about everything these days, you can find "experts" on both sides of the question. For my experience, at max inflation my TD spends a lot of time air born. Its been much better for my TD and everything in it to run at about 30 PSI. I've been running it that way for about 5 years now with no negative consequences. However ST tires are pretty much the cheapest POS tires out there, so YMMV. My suggestion, is look up the info for the manufacturer of your tire and follow the recommendations, rather than following the opinions of a bunch of people who aren't tire engineers, don't know anything about your tires or the load or conditions.
Tom

Very good information. I tried using according to load weight with tire deflated down from manufactures specification and they seem to be doing better in all aspects.
2018 Heartland Terry Classic V21
2018 Toyota Tundra DC
Spotman
500 Club

Return to General Discussion