Re-register after popup to standie conversion?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re-register after popup to standie conversion?

Postby frankiekayak » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:06 am

Howdy gang.

I am in the middle of converting a Pop-up to a Standie (is that the term?). It will be a 6-6" x 12' long x 6'-6" tall camper on the original popup trailer frame. In doing so, do I need to re-register for a new title if I stay in the weight limits of the trailer or is this new permanently taller camper a new beast to register for DMV and Insurance?

TIA,
Frank
Currently building a 13' camper from an old Coleman popup camper frame.
frankiekayak
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Re-register after popup to standie conversion?

Postby Philip » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:23 am

In my state if it was plated as a RV before. Its still a RV after your conversion. It wouldn't need re-registered.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:48 pm

:thinking: Philip made a good point when he wrote, "In my state...." because it may well depend on the state (or country) you're in. From your side bar, under your picture, it doesn't say where you live so no-one from your state(?) can tell you what the rules are there. Maybe you can call the DMV and find out that way.

In my state, it doesn't have to be listed as an RV unless you add a flushing toilet with a black water storage tank.

It's sort of like how much your trailer can weigh before it has to have brakes. In my state, it's 1.500 lbs. In some states, it's 3,000 lbs. but in New York, it's 1,000 lbs. Also, if I remember correctly, in Canada, you have to be able to stop within 27 feet when going 25 mph? Again, your best bet is to check with your DMV in your state and your country. ...Don't know what any of the rules are for places like Australia. Best Wishes!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby frankiekayak » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:07 pm

Thank you both! I'll give DMV a call. I'm in New York.
Currently building a 13' camper from an old Coleman popup camper frame.
frankiekayak
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Philip » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:35 am

frankiekayak wrote:Thank you both! I'll give DMV a call. I'm in New York.

I'll start with the In my State comment agin. :lol:

I have found better answers for title concerns from the Hiway Patrol officers. The DMV has people changes pretty often. So getting good answers was hard, the newbies just didn't know.

I went threw a cab swap on a vehicle. DMV wasn't much help after they gave me the first round paper work. There were a lot of gray area questions on the paper work. It was very confusing paper work. A local IHP officer helped a lot in the paper work. Due to vehicle serial numbers being involved. They were required to be involved. So if your DMV is a strike out. Go to local HP station and talk to them. Remember they are the people you talk to when or if you get pulled over.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:56 pm

Philip is correct again! Maybe I should have said phone the 1-800 DMV number instead of call the DMV. No, at the DMV office, you usually don't get the answers you want. They seem to be way too busy; and, I suspect, mostly entry level employees are used at the DMV local office. Even better might be to look online for your answers. Most the time, if your vehicles are registered and in good condition, that's normally all the Highway Patrol cares about. Unless you're going to add a flushing toilet, I'd use the license and registration data that you have and not wave a flag at anybody and you'll probably be okay. But, you would know your state's pickiness way better than we would. Maybe somebody from New York will chime in. :SG
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby DrewsBrews » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:31 pm

If it is titled then it can definitely vary by state. Do regular trailers get titled in NY? or just campers?

What does it say on the title? is there a type and/or make/model?

Is the vin on the frame or a tag on the camper?

If there is a make/model then IMO that is a point against being able to use the same title as the camper would no longer be the same model once you rebuild. However, If the VIN is on the frame, then maybe the title follows the frame. Really depends on what the state considers to be the titled part of the whole trailer.
DrewsBrews
Donating Member

Postby pchast » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:18 pm

All trailers are titled in NYS. The only trailer that does not need a license plate Is
a dedicated equipment trailer, compressors, lighting generators, sawmills, etc.
I'm not familiar with the paper work but they have a registered owner.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:57 pm

frankiekayak wrote:Howdy gang.

I am in the middle of converting a Pop-up to a Standie (is that the term?). It will be a 6-6" x 12' long x 6'-6" tall camper on the original popup trailer frame. In doing so, do I need to re-register for a new title if I stay in the weight limits of the trailer or is this new permanently taller camper a new beast to register for DMV and Insurance?

TIA,
Frank

A popup is a camper and a standy camper at that. Even if you wanted to get it appraised if you are doing a heirloom quality trailer and want to insure it for a "stated/agreed" amount, you STILL wouldn't need to change the papaerwork. Your real only question would be to ask your insurance company how THEY would approach coverage. I personally have never insured any of my campers but that is a personal decision and a different discussion entirely.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby DrewsBrews » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:02 am

pchast wrote:All trailers are titled in NYS. The only trailer that does not need a license plate Is
a dedicated equipment trailer, compressors, lighting generators, sawmills, etc.
I'm not familiar with the paper work but they have a registered owner.

Here in Ohio things are a bit weird. A utility trailer under 4000lb is not titled, but you still get registration on it for plates. Though a camper trailer would be titled.
DrewsBrews
Donating Member

Postby TimC » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:15 am

Wisconsin is also a bit "different". Any trailer under 3000 lbs is not required to be registered (licensed) or titled.

For my teardrop at ~1500 lbs I chose to do both as I hope to make some trips someday across the country. Though I have traveled with it to Ontario and about five different midwest states I have never been stopped and asked for registration.

For one of the pop-ups I demo'd recently the previous owner didn't apply for title or registration. And they don't know the name of the owner previous to them. The WI DMV's website wants the last name of the titled owner. I did check on the DMV site and there is a clear title (no Lien) on this VIN. So when I talked to an actual person via email they told me that the chassis can be titled under a homebuilt title and then registered even though it started out as a manufactured chassis and I have the VIN available. A new VIN is created.

So every state is different. I hope yours is at least as easy as WI makes it. Though the $167 title fee is quite a hit. I'll still apply since my daughter is likely to end up with the camper and I don't want her to have any trouble down the road.

My "normal" plate...
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Return to General Discussion