Winter trip Montana to Coast then South, info please

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Winter trip Montana to Coast then South, info please

Postby Squigie » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:45 am

I haven't driven 126. I don't know what that road would be like. Definitely looks a lot less twisty and less steep than US 20 on the drop into the valley.
I would expect the weather to warm once you get over the divide, and at least turn to rain instead of snow, as you drop to Eugene. The worst part would probably be either snow up top (divide area to the greater Bend area), or the long stretch of US 20 across the desert, where the wind can get ripping.

Wish I could help more. But I can't say anything else that wouldn't be speculation.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby twisted lines » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:02 pm

Squigie wrote:
(I've been through OR many times. US-20, Bend, US-97, Diamond Lake, OR-138, Roseburg, OR-138/OR-38, Reedsport, US-101,

It was all good to Here ; Unless you stopped at Depo Bay :lol: (up to Astoria)
I like this Drive, Umpqua River, Elk viewing area, Sand Dune Rental's, :thumbsup:
Camped on the black top at Winchester bay with Coin showers a lot,
Sand Drag's;
Car Show / Burn out And Drags,
I will not be going past the bar there any more :( Wait :? I have no Problem passing a bar :NC
Dam Texter's
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby western traveler » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:37 pm

Squigie wrote:I haven't driven 126. I don't know what that road would be like. Definitely looks a lot less twisty and less steep than US 20 on the drop into the valley.
I would expect the weather to warm once you get over the divide, and at least turn to rain instead of snow, as you drop to Eugene. The worst part would probably be either snow up top (divide area to the greater Bend area), or the long stretch of US 20 across the desert, where the wind can get ripping.

Wish I could help more. But I can't say anything else that wouldn't be speculation.

Squigie,
Thanks for that. Yes, looking for real time experience and you and Twisted lines have been very helpful.

Usually I am lucky when driving the I-15 corridor that time of year but I have also found myself parked between a string of semi’s sitting out whiteouts in Southern Utah. A few other places along this route too. Some folks don’t realize how nasty it can get around here. The thing is that route is known to me. I do that drive at least twice a year and it can be any season. When that stuff rolls through here I hunker down. I just haven’t crossed over to the coast from here. Summer time, no worries.

I’ve done the Coast from Seattle to Neah Bay, Westport and down the entire West Coast a few times. In all seasons. Also San Diego to Cabo. Way more times by boat though.

Twisted lines,
It’s been a long time since I’ve been in Depo Bay.

The thought behind this trip is the TD is going south this winter to be used down there during this winter and it would be nice to enjoy the journey. We have done the Southern Utah, Canyon lands, Arizona, Grand Canyon, Sedona thing a few times. It is beautiful winter or summer and a reasonable option but I would like my bride to see more of the California coast.

I hope Tom and Shelly make it down that way. I want to see their build.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:01 pm

western traveler wrote:I hope Tom and Shelly make it down that way. I want to see their build.

Thank you! We'll PM you when we have solid plans. Shelly (retired teacher) is going to be a substitute, so we'll have to plan around that.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:52 am

Tom,
looking forward to it if it can happen. I know San Diego very well.

Twisted lines,
We did the elk viewing at Dean Creek outside Reedsport our last road trip but would enjoy doing it again.

I have a hunting buddy that lives in Florence OR. and hunts up here from time to time. He finally returned from WY and responded to my messages. (He has driven this route a few times but was just out of reach when I posted).
He confirmed Squigie’s info and added another possibility.

Depending on road conditions we will decide on the above Hwy 126 route or I-5 south to Hwy 38 to Drain/Reedsport when we get to Eugene and of course remain open to more/other info.

Another bit of good news at least at the moment is Hwy 1 is reopened through Big Sur (reported Nov 1).

I haven’t been through Sausalito or San Francisco for years (except by boat) Is there a likelihood of finding any parking around the harbor in Sausalito or Fishermans Wharf in San Francisco for a truck and TD for an hour or two. We don’t mind paying. My interest in SF hovers near zero except my bride has never been there and this trip is focused on her.
Any must sees around there?
Muir Redwoods is on our list.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:54 pm

Eugene to florence is a good drive, over to see a buddy!
Charlston Chrismas light's May be in season :thumbsup:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby drhill » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:29 pm

When we visited Fisherman's wharf we camped at Samuel P. Taylor State Park in Marin County, across the Golden gate bridge. According to google it is 29 miles from the campground to the Wharf. We just strolled around and had a couple beers at the wharf. The campground is close to many of the great bike trails in Marin County. We stayed a few nights and enjoyed riding Camp Tamarancho, some trails in the Marin Headlands and at China Beach. Even if biking isn't your thing make sure to drive through the headlands area and the Golden Gate view point. Then we were off to Santa Cruz, another famous mountain biking area. Even in April Santa Cruz traffic is terrible, but I am told Southern California is worse. We headed off to Yosemite from here.

Try to avoid crossing the Golden Gate bridge with your trailer more than you need to. If I remember correctly it was $7 for up to 2 axles and $21 for 3 axles.
drhill
Teardrop Master

Postby western traveler » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:40 pm

drhill wrote:When we visited Fisherman's wharf we camped at Samuel P. Taylor State Park in Marin County, across the Golden gate bridge. According to google it is 29 miles from the campground to the Wharf. We just strolled around and had a couple beers at the wharf. The campground is close to many of the great bike trails in Marin County. We stayed a few nights and enjoyed riding Camp Tamarancho, some trails in the Marin Headlands and at China Beach. Even if biking isn't your thing make sure to drive through the headlands area and the Golden Gate view point. Then we were off to Santa Cruz, another famous mountain biking area. Even in April Santa Cruz traffic is terrible, but I am told Southern California is worse. We headed off to Yosemite from here.

Try to avoid crossing the Golden Gate bridge with your trailer more than you need to. If I remember correctly it was $7 for up to 2 axles and $21 for 3 axles.

drhill,
Thanks,
The Bay Area information is very helpful.
I’m aware of the Southern California traffic challenges. Some areas especially LA/OC are bad late into the night on any given day. (I watched it go from hundreds of square miles of orchards, ranching and farming to concrete). I still love it though…
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:05 am

Well I chose Trip B.
I will try to share my travels here in my build Journal. Hope to do the coastal route on my way back in April.
https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73777&p=1284953#p1284953
western traveler
Donating Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion