Help to value trailer please

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Help to value trailer please

Postby 48Rob » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:37 am

Hi All,

It has been a few years since I’ve been active here. Life and the opportunities it can present have shifted our focus from camping in the teardrop, to other things.
The camper has been stored, unused for the last 4 years, and it is time to let it go.
As much has changed and I’ve not kept up with the board and trends, I’m here asking for help in valuing the camper for sale, from you, the current teardrop community.

It is a replica, or more accurately, a tribute to the original Cabin Car design of the late 40’s
I built it in 2006, on a vintage trailer frame (completely rebuilt/refurbished) and it is titled as a 2006. The trailer is larger than a standard teardrop, coming in at 12 feet 4 inches long, by 7 feet wide, by 5 feet 2 inches tall. It is not a standy, though for shorter people it could be as the floor in the center is recessed 3.5” I am 6’2” and can sit on the bed with feet on the floor and not bump my head.
The trailer weighs in at 2400 pounds with a tongue weight of 180 pounds. It is equipped with radial trailer tires, and electric brakes. It tows like a dream up to 80 mph because of the inherent stability of having the axle set further back than typical campers. I expect it would tow quite well at speeds well above 80, but I don’t want a speeding ticket bad enough to find out… South Dakota I believe was the state we visited that had an 80 mph posted limit.
The trailer is equipped with as many creature comforts that I was able to design into the build, and include, hot and cold running water, via a 20 gallon freshwater tank under the bed, a 6 gallon propane water heater, to a galley faucet, interior hand sink, and interior shower. The galley has a good sized sink, cooler, propane 2 burner stove, and a good amount of storage with a fold down exterior counter for added space.
The interior has a full size bed with innerspring mattress (always enclosed with a mattress protector) a television that runs on shore power, or house batteries, automatically switched. An exterior hookup for cable or an antenna, and two Trojan 6 volt golf car batteries make up the bank.
The camper in general is 12 volt, including all the fans (4) the lights (7) the TV, DVD player, water pump, and the propane RV heater, while the A/C, the battery charger, and the toaster are 120 volts.
Ceiling exhaust fan, A/C under the sink, a sit down shower, electric portable toilet, a fold out table, two spacious drawers under the bed, and much more. The trailer has a small 6 gallon gray water storage system for sink and shower water in those places it can’t be used to water the trees.
The propane tank is an eleven pounder. Same diameter as a standard 20, but shorter, and the system has a connection for a disposable 1 pound propane bottle in case you run out while camping. The roof rack is custom built of copper, which has aged to a mellow brown. The trailer comes with a custom awning, and poles. There is also a 2" receiver in the back that we used to hold a bike rack when traveling, and a shade umbrella when parked.

As is obvious, it is all wood construction. Extreme attention to detail was paid in making it waterproof. It can be used in wet weather, and it does not leak, but it is not a trailer that can be kept “outside” when not in use. It has, other than our camping trips, been stored inside. We’ve put something on the order of 12 thousand miles on it since new. It has gained a few scratches and nicks from use, and the exterior has been sanded and re-coated with Spar varnish twice, most recently about 6 years ago. That said, it still looks pretty good, even up close! If someone wanted to store it outside, I think an aluminum skin would do the job, though it would change the appearance...

I’ve probably forgotten a few things, but the photos should detail most everything. It has undergone some evolution since new; the television has been replaced with a bigger one, shades changed to curtains, minor kitchen changes, etc.
I will get it out, cleaned up, and take a fresh batch of photos soon if enough interest is generated, if not, then in the spring.

So, what do you think the price should be?

Thanks,

Rob

Last edited by 48Rob on Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Re: Help to value trailer please

Postby western traveler » Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:47 pm

Rob,
That is beautiful.
No idea the value but I am reminded of the 2018 Lil Guy (it looked like a 4X8 but it had a king so must have been 5’ wide)TD I saw in Glacier on my trip earlier this month. She took a tear tour of mine. She had just purchased it. She lived in Up State NY and went to pick it up in Minnesota.
She paid 18K
Prediction, someone is going to see it, fall in love and pay whatever you ask to own it.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:27 pm

Very impressive! I hope you'll offer it here first. I'm afraid I don't have a clue what to expect. Good luck!
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby Spotman » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:31 pm

:shock: Wow, wow, wow... I haven't seen that for a few years now. And now it's for sale! Hmmm, second mortgage. Rob it is and has always been a beautiful work of art. Sorry to see it go. You will have a hard time putting a price on that, but good luck. :(

Bob
2018 Heartland Terry Classic V21
2018 Toyota Tundra DC
Spotman
500 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:47 pm

Rob, I remember when you built your outstanding trailer. :thumbsup: :applause:
I'm guessing way north of $25,000.00.
I understand theirs a big demand for RV's since Covid came about, but with gatherings far and few between, you may have some difficulty getting your price.
I wouldn't sell another teardrop for less than $35,000 and that's scares off most, but have had some thinking :thinking: about it. :lol:
Best wishes :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby John61CT » Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:30 pm

Get a website and SM marketing person on it, ask the moon and be patient

these are weird times

so many bored people with way too much extra money sloshing around

Start at 80K maybe, drop by 1% per month until sold
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Capebuild » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:35 pm

Your trailer is really beautiful.
A work of art. It looks like an object you'd see in a museum.
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby friz » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:57 pm

Shoot the moon. Somebody will have to have it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:16 pm

I have seen this trailer and it's a first rate, quality build with special attention to period correct details. I would say 25K would be a fair price. Might price it at 28K and take anything above 25. Good luck with the sale.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:08 pm

Fair schmair

We live in a capitalist society, go for the maximum the trust-fundie market will bear.

Even at $80K I bet the time spent would not be compensated at $20/hr
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TimC » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:41 pm

That is gorgeous Rob!

I think I'd start by researching prices of some hi end manufactured teardrops with all the bells and whistles. I'm guessing that'll put you into the low $30k ballpark. That will tell you where to start for pricing. There are folks out there looking and buying those units and a portion of that market will be interested in having something unique.

I don't know which manufacturers are the high end builders. Camp Inn and Vistabule are two that I am familiar with. I hope other tnttt members will be able to help you identify others.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby Modstock » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:56 am

Check out your local online classifieds for teardrops and see what the average asking price is. Yours will definitely be worth more . Be patient but be firm on price. Alot of cheap ass monkey's out there.

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 48Rob » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:59 am

Thank you all for the kind thoughts and opinions on value, I'd love to hear more to get a firm grip on a price range.

Mike, you are correct in that there is no need to spend big money on a basic teardrop, or camping trailer. A fairly experienced handyperson can throw together a basic model in just a few days, for not a lot of money.

The different levels of camper values, are much like the different levels of cars. You can pick up a basic car pretty cheap. You can get a plain Jane camper for a few thousand, and the price goes up as you include better quality parts, and add luxury or desirable options that sets your camper, or car apart from the others out there.
I wanted a plain, basic camper, and so built one as I could not afford a store bought one. I believe I had just a little over $500 in it. It was built from mostly used and scavenged parts, a fun project that offered a lot of challenges!

My son and I used it for a few years, and then I decided I wanted a bigger, nicer one. The pile of gold I'd always hoped I might use to buy all the things I wanted never fell in my lap :( So, I built what I wanted :) This trailer, the Cabin car, cost a good bit more that the first basic teardrop, but it was a design that I fell in love with, and as most people know, once you set your mind to something and put your heart and soul into it, the end results are usually nice. My camper is not any better than anyone else's, it is just different.
I would never have spent huge amounts of money for a trailer, and neither would many of the people here on the board, as it is after all, a do it yourself forum :) That said, there are people out there who do not have the skills, or time, or ability to build and create as we do here. That generates a need, and market for those who do have the ability to sell the results of their efforts, in this case, camping trailers.
Some who want to buy have little money, some have a lot of money.
I hope that because of the effort and care I put into my creation, that someone out there will like it enough to buy it for what they think is a fair price. As yet, I am not certain what a "fair price" is.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:10 am

Rob:

I too think her value is pushing the edge of $30G.

This isn't something that will be bought by someone down the street as you well know. It'll probably be from someone far from Illinois which begs the question of how to market it. There are some Facebook teardrop pages that allow sales and that may be the way to find her a good home.

Good luck, :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:11 am

Whenever I've sold a teardrop I put in a new mattress and mattress covers for the new owners.
You might consider doing that to sweeten the deal.
Knoxfoam I think is no longer around but there's http://www.thefoamfactory.com and http://www.foamproducts.net the one I've used in the past.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Next

Return to General Discussion