Custom Foam Mattress Suppliers

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Custom Foam Mattress Suppliers

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:39 pm

It's getting time to replace our custom mattress that was made in 2008 for the teardrop.
I called the supplier I've used in the past and was shocked on how much foam has gone up.
Back in 2015 I paid $323.00 shipping included and now I got a quote for $1,146 for the same order.
I called The Foam Factory and they only do a 2" memory foam topper instead of the 1" we have now over 4" of medium density foam.
Does anyone know of a company who meets my needs at a more down to earth price?
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Re: Custom Foam Mattress Suppliers

Postby Modstock » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:07 pm

Foam goes up with oil prices but that does seem extreme. My foam came in around 250 my cost.

Wonder how much of that was shipping ?

To answer your question, look at your local upholstery shop. If they do furniture, they should be bringing in new foam and can get you foam in any firmness.
Brodie upholstery in Tacoma looks promising.

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby John61CT » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:05 am

In living overseas for many decades

I have always sought out massage shops and asked the owners who supplies their mats.

I like dense, nice and firm, and indestructible waterproof coverings.

Then add wool and cotton on top where greater comfort is appropriate.

I am very abusive, but they last for many years without noticeable wear
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:56 am

Modstock wrote:Foam goes up with oil prices but that does seem extreme. My foam came in around 250 my cost.

Wonder how much of that was shipping ?

To answer your question, look at your local upholstery shop. If they do furniture, they should be bringing in new foam and can get you foam in any firmness.
Brodie upholstery in Tacoma looks promising.

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk

I'll have to give a call to Curtis Upholstery in Tacoma.
They reupholstered our sofas a few years ago.
If they can't then I'll check out Brodie, thanks for the idea.
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby tony.latham » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:58 am

Danny:

We swear by our mattress from the Foam Factory. It's 5" of medium density with 3" of memory foam bonded to it.

It's still offered on their webpage:

https://www.thefoamfactory.com/mattress/memorymattress.html

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:39 pm

My mattress from Foam Factory built like Tony’s, 5” medium topped with 3” memory and with the exception that I had them make three sections to work as a settee came in just under $800. I think the extra labor to do the 3 was close to a hundred dollars. Free shipping at least.
That was less than half of my other two quotes as single mattresses.
Things are crazy still.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:59 pm

tony.latham wrote:Danny:

We swear by our mattress from the Foam Factory. It's 5" of medium density with 3" of memory foam bonded to it.

It's still offered on their webpage:

https://www.thefoamfactory.com/mattress/memorymattress.html

Tony

Thanks Tony, I called them and they can't accommodate our size as they only have 2" memory foam and we need 1".
Our two 5" x 40" x 58.375 mattresses Have 4" of medium density foam and 1" memory foam glued together.
I had a place in California custom sew two, nylon zippered on 3 sides, covers.
Back when I made my first TD in 2006 that was the recommended size on the forum and it's worked excellent all these years.
We have a footboard cabinet and don't want to go thicker because of our feet and the covers are in excellent shape.

I've been looking around and there are several online company's that are considerably cheaper then what I was quoted at http://WWW.foamproducts.com.
I've got the mattresses drying in the shop in front of the pellet stove after I sprayed bleach on the underside.
I numbered the ends 1-4 so I can keep better track of rotation to prolong mattress life.
They still work, just think it's about time for new ones as nothing lasts forever.
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:00 pm

I will second Foam Factory We had a 5" Firm foam for 12 years. My wife felt the firm was too firm over time and last year bought a used Sleep Number with a bad air pump. Replacement pump works ion 12V.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Onajourney » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:52 pm

I am getting one on Amazon. Slightly smaller than a queen (78x56x6) $229. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0956QH7T6/?c ... _lig_dp_it
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby JasenC » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:15 am

Just tossing this out there. If you find the right thickness but to large a mattress, an electric carving knife makes cutting foam as easy as slicing bread.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby Capebuild » Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:31 pm

Danny, I just saw your post. I might be late to the party but can give you this supplier my wife and I visited when we were in California in May. My wife found them on the inter web and set up the appointment. The gentleman there was very helpful (we were looking for a tri-fold set up for our trailer bed/couch. They have different durometers, different foam products and I suppose anything else you might look for in a sleeping bed/couch. I'm not sure of their pricing as we haven't pursued it yet with them, but will when we get closer to needing our trailer bed/couch.... but here's their website

if you are interested.
https://www.foamorder.com/foam-store-of-marin.html. The name of the place is "The Foam Store of Marin".

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:32 pm

Thanks John, actually they made the zipped covers for my 2008, 2010 & 2013 teardrop mattresses when they were on Howard Street in San Francisco.
I contacted them last week on a replacement cover but the material I purchased before is discontinued.

I had removed the covers to wash them and upon putting them back on one cover the zipper didn't have a stop the zipper puller came off.
I got it back on but the zipper would close, then open up, then close, etc. as I zipped around the cover. :(
I've spent way too much time using 2 sizes of FixnZip zipper repair kits and returned both.
It's a nylon coil zipper and apparently the FixNzip won't work on that kind of zipper.

I have a Dritz 309-C-33, Fix Replacement Slider Kit for Size 5 Coil Zipper, Gunmetal #5 Nylon Coil coming Monday.

If that doesn't work I'll be contacting foam order for pricing for foam and covers.
The Nylon Coil zippers seem hard to zip after being in use for some time.
Bar soap or solid wax will lubricate the zippers some.
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:08 pm

Update: 11/14/2021
Well, the Dritz Fix-A-Zipper Replacement Slider Kit worked perfectly on the first time :thumbsup:
I bought another one for the second mattress cover just incase that zipper pull fails at some time.

I ordered my 2 custom cut 2038-meduim-firm mattresses 4" x 58.375 x 40" from http://www.foamproducts.net but without the 1" memory foam as the price shot up quite a bit to have them add it.
I did include in my order two 12 oz. cans of Aramsco Ram-Tack High Tack Spray Adhesive so I could glue the memory foam on myself.
I ordered a 1" thick California King Made in the U.S.A. :thumbsup: memory foam topper from Overstock.com.
The Calif. King is 82" long vs 79" for a king for the same price.

Today we stopped by our local Bead & Bath and I bought a Black + Decker 9" Electric Knife to cut the memory foam in two then trim to size after I glue in place the two 4" mattresses I ordered above.

All in all my total expenditures totaled $321.71 only 71 cents more than the 2 identical sized mattresses, with memory foam, I ordered from the same supplier in 2015.
That's quite a savings from the phone quote from them at $1,076 plus shipping.

I did spend some research time, but the end result is quite satisfying for me.

Now it's wait time for what I ordered.
The memory foam will be here this Friday.
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby nbcarey » Sun May 01, 2022 4:05 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:It's getting time to replace our custom mattress that was made in 2008 for the teardrop.
I called the supplier I've used in the past and was shocked on how much foam has gone up.
Back in 2015 I paid $323.00 shipping included and now I got a quote for $1,146 for the same order.
I called The Foam Factory and they only do a 2" memory foam topper instead of the 1" we have now over 4" of medium density foam.
Does anyone know of a company who meets my needs at a more down to earth price?

Canvas Supply here in Seattle (Ballard) has been making custom marine mattresses since 1882.

I'm sure they can set you up with what you need.

http://www.canvassupply.net/

They also run a bedding company under the name Seattle Mattress.

https://www.seattlemattress.net/marine-mattress
nbcarey
Teardrop Builder

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon May 02, 2022 8:27 pm

We don't go to Seattle, unsafe and too much crime.
Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Next

Return to General Discussion