teardrop build

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

teardrop build

Postby lee senn » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:12 am

I am aware that some small aircraft are actually covered with cloth which is then coated with a shrinking agent or paint . It seems to me that this would be a great way to construct a very lightweight tear . Has anyone on the forum built one this way ? Lee and Norma
lee senn
Donating Member

Re: teardrop build

Postby tony.latham » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:43 am

Well... no, but I built this thingamajig. It's mostly covered with fabric. Does that count?

Unless you could figure out a way to insulate it, you would have major issues when it was hot and cold. I think it would be a condensation bear.

Aircraft fabric these days is dacron. It's shrunk with an iron. One of the issues with it is UV rays, so you would have to do your research on making sure the sun gets blocked. I dealt with that issue by spraying on several coats of paint (specific for dacron cloth) that was impregnated with aluminum powder.

If you go down this path, expect to build a paint booth for spraying. A brush or roller isn't going to cut it. You can look at the materials here:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAtJeNBhCVARIsANJUJ2E48o0Q9tySq8bW93c8Zu2-4RZOMhQL5KKpujUQ2p5IlnQ3yAdpenIaAn5XEALw_wcB

:thinking: You'd also have to design the structure so the shrinkage wouldn't warp the framework.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:42 pm

lee senn wrote:I am aware that some small aircraft are actually covered with cloth which is then coated with a shrinking agent or paint . It seems to me that this would be a great way to construct a very lightweight tear . Has anyone on the forum built one this way ? Lee and Norma

Well, there aren't many stones or other road debris up in the air to damage the fabric. And the original dope and fabric airplanes had to be recovered every few years, just because of the wear from taxiing and take-off, and from the friction of the air itself over the surface. When my dad was shopping for an airplane, he was talked out of a (partial) fabric type (1948 Stinson--he loved vintage aircraft), and settled for an aluminum Cessna 172 because of the difference in maintenance involved. Not sure how much maintenance the skin on Tony's plane involves--it's a different material and application/shrinking method.

Keep in mind too, folks didn't fly those aircraft into thunderstorms (and survived). I'm sure some were destroyed by violent weather on the ground. I'd want my tear to live through, and shelter us, from fairly violent thunderstorms.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:10 pm

tony.latham wrote: I built this thingamajig.

Tony

Ah FFS, will you stop making me feel so f..ing inadequate?
:cry:
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby tony.latham » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:03 pm

Ah FFS, will you stop making me feel so f..ing inadequate?

Well... crap. Sorry about that. :D

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to General Discussion