If I'm going 5x8, might as well go 6x8?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

If I'm going 5x8, might as well go 6x8?

Postby matphat » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:44 pm

I'm about to pull the trigger and join this fine community in building my first TD. I was originally going to go 4x8 and then decided that since this TD is for my wife, 4yr old (Will be 5 by the time the TD is done) and myself, I better go 5x8. Then I got to poking around for a cheap/good trailer and realized there are none, and so I'm going to have to fabricate one. At this point I'm wondering if I should just go 6x8.

My logic is this:

1.) Budget already blown on having to fabricate the trailer and going 5x since 5x is non-standard material sizing. The additional material that would be wasted would easily get me to 6x for the same cost as 5x.
2.) More space for the three of us since this boy is going to keep growing.
3.) Possibly more accommodating to additional winterizing gear since we plan to do four seasons in the Rockies with this thing.

Does anyone have any additional thoughts on the 6x8? Costs/Benefit?

Thanks!

Mat
matphat
Teardrop Inspector

Re: If I'm going 5x8, might as well go 6x8?

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:11 pm

You probably do need a 6' wide since this is a family camper... but...

and going 5x since 5x is non-standard material sizing.

I rely heavily on 5' x 5' sheets of Baltic birch plywood. So that statement really isn't true. (I think that's what your referring too)

The thing that really jumps out at me is your talk of an 8' long teardrop. The extra 2' in a 10' cabin really allows for much-much storage.

I always advocate for builders to draw a side plan first and then put a pleasing profile around it -- instead of trying to figure out how to squeeze what you want in racy-looking curve.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:32 pm

Measure the width of your towing vehicle. Unless it's 6' wide, you might be better off going with a 5x10' This is because the wind resistance of the extra foot wide can cost a lot in gas MPG and who knows what gas prices will be in the future. With a 10' long, you can easily add a bunk crosswise that will last the boy until he's probably in his teens and then, he'll probably want his own tent. If he outgrows it sooner, he can sleep a little kitty-corner and dangle his feet off the side. Or, he can sleep on his side, in a more curled up position. If more kids come along, it'll be easy to add another crosswise bunk. Also, if you can get 5x5' plywood, as Tony suggested above, you could have little to no wasted wood and probably an easier build with less cutting and piecing and less places for water to try to get through.

Let's look at weight, as weight also effects MPG.....:

We'll assume you build a 5x8' (40 sq ft) and it weighs 1000 lbs. That would be 1000/40= 25 lbs. per square foot.
At 25 lbs. per square foot, a 6x8' (25x48) would weigh 200 lbs. more than the 5x8', or 1200 lbs.
At 25 lbs. per square foot, a 5x10' (25x50) would only weigh 50 lbs. more than the 6x8'. or 1250 lbs.

So, it might be worth a thought or two....
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Squigie » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:21 pm

Frontal area increase, weight increase, general decrease in maneuverability, absolute requirement to splice materials, and the fact that I can never comfortably sleep most adults cross-wise in a bunk would have me adding length.

Some considerations could be a canvas-sided pop-out bunk that folds out of the trailer wall, a diagonal hammock inside, or even omitting the lower galley and leaving that area open for a child to sleep for the time being (must be ventilated, of course). I worked up a design with no galley and a rear bunk space as part of my decision process, but weight distribution was terrible. It would have required moving the axle forward or relying on cargo for reasonable weight distribution.

I believe the current iteration of my design is 58" wide (and 9' long, to maximize space, but limit overhang off road). Many, many factors went into that dimension, including wheel offset, tire size, and the Timbren suspension that I am using. But, most of all at the end of the day, I don't want the trailer to be much, if any wider than the primary tow vehicles: An '04 Ford Ranger and a '98 GMC Jimmy.
Overall width will be 80", if I recall, which is slightly wider than the mirrors on the Ranger and wider than the mirrors on the Jimmy. I don't like that. I want a narrower track width. But I could not find a good way to keep floor height, track width, roof height, tires size, and comfortable entry where I needed them, all at the same time. I had to punch the track width out. There was no other choice. So, that made me think about pushing the walls out, too. Until I remembered that I would have to splice everything in the floor, and especially the roof. But I don't want longitudinal splices in the floor or roof. So, I'm at 58" with a wider track width than desired. I had no choice. What's a man to do... :shrug:
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby swoody126 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:44 pm

consider aproximating the width of the track of your TV and the body width of your TV w/ the track and body width of your TD

also consider the size/price of a common store bought mattress compaired to the cost of having a mattress custom made

IMHO the interior size of your box should just excede the size of your mattress plus the size of any interior shelving/storage you are considering

then the added dimensions of your chosen framing method will tell you what size YOUR TD shoud be

the cost of plywood is incidental compaired to your bridal unit's comfort(been married over 50 years ... TRUST ME )

BON CHANCE

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby Pmullen503 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:23 pm

While splicing material is a pain, it doesn't take that long and then you are done. Having a trailer that doesn't fit you needs lasts forever.
As stated earlier, think of your mattress sizes (and sheets unless you plan to always use sleeping bags.) Going to 6' wide doesn't allow you to turn a standard mattress sideways. Remember even 5' wide has to be 60" wide on the insideto fit a standard queen mattress.

It's tough to get more than 2 people in a 5x8" teardrop. So a slide out, pop top or other way to add space might be in your future.

If it's not comfortable, you won't use it and that's the most expensive option of all.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby nevadatear » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:45 pm

I, too, would go longer before wider. And although the poster is correct that 5’ outside is not queensize inside, its pretty easy to cut a couple of inches off a foam mattress to fit.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:50 am

Here in Oz, you pretty much get 4 x 8 if you buy some imported plywood sheets, or 1200 x 2400mm ( 47 1/4" x 94 1/2").
I have never seen 5 x 5 for sale.
So anything we build above 4 x 8 requires splicing, laying sheets crossways, or what ever.
Build to fit the desire mattress is first point.
Then length before width - it makes the galley so much bigger.

I would not go too much wider than the tow vehicle.
Not for fuel economy, but so I can see the rear view in my mirrors.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby swoody126 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:26 am

MickinOz wrote:Here in Oz, ...

I would not go too much wider than the tow vehicle.
Not for fuel economy, but so I can see the rear view in my mirrors.

MickinOz, EXCELLENT POINT !

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby 2bits » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:33 pm

You've heard the news on the tow vehicle compatibility, to me the differences in 5 to 6 foot wide are exponential when it comes to floor plans. Take for example the wild goose/Kampster these were made "back in the day" so while the purists may scoff, it is unwarranted and like the Goose it then offers you to turn the bed sideways. This pretty much puts you into vintage camper land. Add a foot to the width, and just a foot to the height and with a drop floor only right in the venter while everything else is around the edges and boom, you have a Scotty where you can stand fully up inside, in a teardrop. The opportunities are then endless and you can still keep the teardrop approach with the galley out back, or not, or... BOTH! In the end, going 6 wide is a game changer.

However if you just want a standard teardrop with the normal bed positioning, I would stick with the five wide.

The last point is definitely material cost and the amount of cut offs you will be paying for, this should be a real consideration. :beer:
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby rjgimp » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:00 am

Go big or go home, I say! Mine will be close to 7x14.
:thumbsup:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:19 am

Ours is 79" wide , and being streamline , tows just as easy as any other ...Plus the extra width means I can sleep sideways in the camper, leaving lots of room for other people and things ... :thumbsup: JMHO , a four foot wide is really easy , but turned out was a bit confining ... Great for one person , but crowded for two ... Our five foot wide was better , but the larger one is actually livable and very comfortable . JMHO
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:44 am

My mileage at the speed I normally drive at 5’ wide inside; 83” overall requires extra lighting, and the mileage goes from 24 to 14 mpg @ 1250 lbs, &
10’s on the short side. :thinking:
I might drive 55
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to General Discussion