Propex HS2000 question

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Propex HS2000 question

Postby TCJ » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:32 pm

Hi, new here . . . this is my first post! :D

I've got a RoadToad stripped-down trailer on order, and am planning on customizing it. Since we'll be using it 3 seasons out west, heat is important for us. I was able to find a Propex HS2000 at a good price, and am now trying to figure out where to put it and vent it.

My question is about the hot air supply and cold air return vents (NOT the combustion and exhaust air vents; that's a different issue). I've looked at lots of photos online, and it seems that many people place the supply and return vents right next to each other. That seems . . . odd. If possible, I'd like to have the supply down low (heat rises) and the return even lower, but some distance away, to encourage good circulation. Am I crazy to be worrying about this? I know the trailer is tiny (haha tnttt) so air is going to mix pretty quickly. Any words of advice?
TCJ
Teardrop Builder

Re: Propex HS2000 question

Postby John61CT » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:07 pm

The exit could be separate, at the completely other end of the space.

Point is to create flow, in a sealed living space otherwise the positive pressure blocks the input flow.

But rather than trying to heating the outdoors at least some of that exit airflow should be intake to the heater.

Yes having them spaced apart to facilitate circulation in the space, would be better
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Cosmo » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:29 pm

I agree! Why reheat the same air. My setup uses the sound reducing ducting to move the heat output away from the air intake. The area where you do intake air from tends to get a bit of heat. Mine is in the headboard of my trailer cabinets. Drawing air into that cabinet from the cabin keeps that area warm too. You may find a way to use that air flow to your advantage. For instance in the galley it may help prevent water from freezing (depending on a a lot of things) etc. Drawing air from the outside may create a positive air flow. Many options!
https://youtu.be/mRFRRw9_CV0

=Cosmo

Last edited by Cosmo on Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby John61CT » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:33 pm

Yes evacuating from around FLA batteries,composting toilet and propane appliances

increasing cooling airflow around 12V fridge electronics, DCDC chargers

all good targets for systematic airflow design
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:47 pm

Am I crazy to be worrying about this?

Well, I think it's worthwhile to consider but it's not a break or bust issue.

Have you seen my post over here?

https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=72075&p=1271154&hilit=propex+heater+installation#p1271154

I placed both the return and hot vents at that level to ensure they were above the bedding. Which as you know, is critical.

The heater works great with this installation.

:thumbsup: You'll love it.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:14 pm

TCJ wrote:Hi, new here . . . this is my first post! :D

I've got a RoadToad stripped-down trailer on order, and am planning on customizing it. Since we'll be using it 3 seasons out west, heat is important for us. I was able to find a Propex HS2000 at a good price, and am now trying to figure out where to put it and vent it.

My question is about the hot air supply and cold air return vents (NOT the combustion and exhaust air vents; that's a different issue). I've looked at lots of photos online, and it seems that many people place the supply and return vents right next to each other. That seems . . . odd. If possible, I'd like to have the supply down low (heat rises) and the return even lower, but some distance away, to encourage good circulation. Am I crazy to be worrying about this? I know the trailer is tiny (haha tnttt) so air is going to mix pretty quickly. Any words of advice?

We worried about the issue, but in the end we have our heating (and AC) vents about 6 inches apart, one above the other, in the middle of the headboard. No problems! It is a small space, and no need to take up even more running a duct from one end to the other.

I should mention we have an electric heater, but I'll bet the Propex puts out more heat, if anything. We also keep our roof vent cracked.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:50 pm

I’ve got my Propex at the foot of the bed in a side cabinet.

The intake (lower vent) is under the foot of the bed, drawing cold air in. The hot air outlet is a little higher, and has louvers that direct the hot air up at an angle, to get it above the bed. Even though the two vents are only about a foot apart, the Propex warms the trailer in no time flat and we are very comfortable.

Our trailer has a rear door and a 1 foot tall basement under the bed. The Propex cabinet is on the right side at the foot of the bed, just out of this photo.

My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TCJ » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:20 pm

Wow, thanks for all the responses, and so soon!
TCJ
Teardrop Builder

Return to General Discussion