Sanity check please

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Sanity check please

Postby mnjeepguy » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:25 pm

Minor background so you understand where I am at. Last year, I bought a new Jeep with the intent of traveling and offroading (getting back after a LONG break). I've been traveling by motorcycle for years, no stranger to tents. I no longer want to sleep in that small of a tent as I push 50. With the Jeep, I "glamp" meaning a 10 person tent even if it's just me, raised air mattress, chair inside, etc. I'm plenty comfortable like that, but I HATE setting up for only one night, and weather is more of a factor. I also have a German Shepherd who will be traveling with me now. He needs the room in the Jeep I hauled stuff with. Once I saw the idea of a squaredrop I was hooked. Parking and having a bed ready sounds amazing. Especially one I can take down less friendly "roads". I quickly found the DIY aspect, and plan to build one. That said, I see many if not most builds are over a year in the making. Below is my thought.

I have at least three months of other life things before I could even start to build. There are a few builders I found that fit my needs with "only" a six month or so backlog/build time. I am leaning towards buying a 5X8 to use while I build, then sell it. It will be relatively basic, both to keep costs down and to make it easier to sell than something farther from the norm. It also gives me a chance to use one extensively while I decide exactly what parts of my build are needed for me. I don't think wait times for new will drop, and prices may rise. I could potentially use it a year and nearly break even. If I lose a grand...that's only ten nights cost in a hotel. Or it's $100 a weekend for me to set up a tent in the dark with bugs, deal with weather more, clean the gear after, etc etc. Easy to justify this since I expect at least twice that used my first summer and fall. I may even find that 5X8 is enough for me (I was going to go a hair wider for a full queen inside and 10 length) and plan the build far enough to get a close estimate and see if the labor is worth it to me.

Things planned for my build that may matter:
Trailer will be new, made based off Tony's plan (think it's his...stole it from one of his posts). Tongue will run entire length for rear recovery point. I also plan on six uprights (four corners and two mid) for reasons next.
I have been planning either 5 or 5.5 feet tall. I wanted a bit more headroom, maybe a little under bed storage. That's the reason for the side supports as I will not be able to use solid sheets of ply.
Roof rack will be much stronger with the side supports as well.
Plan was to cut all pieces and test fit. Then one by one cover with glass on outside and edges. Once glassed and attached I was going to glass all edges to seal. After that, rhino or monstaliner coat it.

If I build, it's not to save money but to get exactly what I want. I know it will take me a while. Add to that the cost of the trailer build, timbren axles, plywood, epoxy, coating, wiring, on and on...it won't be cheap, but it will be a one time thing and I want to do it right. I originally considered building two and selling one...but I think I will just document the crap out of what this build is so I could duplicate it with only the labor, not the planning. That would be reserved for showing friends I think.

tl;dr part
If money wasn't a HUGE deal would you buy a camper to use while you build? Not that money doesn't matter, but time is pretty important, especially recreation time and getting out doing the things I want ASAP.
mnjeepguy
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Sanity check please

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:55 pm

I think it sounds reasonable. I understand the price of small campers went up last year (due to the "end" of COVID, or more accurately, the frustration with being cooped up indoors for a year). So, hopefully you won't be buying high and selling low, after prices drop in this new normal. I have no idea if that'll even happen. Maybe with inflation, we're seeing the new permanent baseline prices?

Same thing for lumber, it will likely cost a little more this year than in years past to build.

With the Jeep as a tow vehicle, you'll want to build light. We owned two Jeeps, and were hoping to build to tow with them, but would have been right on the borderline of what we considered safe (going by the max towing chart in the owner's manual), so we traded the older Jeep in for a 4 WD Tacoma. That said, lots of folks on here do tow with Jeeps. Just something you'll want to look at.

Good luck with your plans, however you decide! :thumbsup:

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby mnjeepguy » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:24 pm

Thanks Tom! The Jeep is a limiter...but not nearly as bad as my 98 TJ. That was hard to drive 65 after I built it without towing. The new unlimited tows 3500 and I am looking in the 1000 pound range for a 5x8. My build will be heavier, but I think manageable.

I think the way things are, camping like this will remain popular and something towable by even a car will sell well. If my build costs more because of materials, so be it. I want to enjoy things.
mnjeepguy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby twisted lines » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:08 pm

Your Time :QM I have plenty of that :lol:
Planing #2
Could use a 5'x12' V nose Myself
Already have 3 Trailers :?
Last edited by twisted lines on Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MickinOz » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:37 pm

I take a long time to build. A lot of that time is finding stuff to build with.

But it seems to me that many people take so long to build because they decide from the get go to "custom build".

A teardrop can be a basic plywood box on wheels.
So, you could for example, weld up a dead simple rectangular 4 x 8 frame, whack on a solid beam axle with some relatively soft springs that don't shake the crap out of your creation, and screw down a 4 x8 sheet for a floor.
Then screw on two side walls made from 4 x 8 3/4in. sheets, screw in some spars and run some cladding over it.
A couple of premade doors and job done, in a very short time frame.

Like this one, probably my very favourite build log, certainly the one that inspired me to build: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=29535
First post: 4/28/2009
Camp ready: 9/15/2009

4.5 months. And quite a head turner, very aesthetically pleasing in my opinion.
One of those things that make you look a second time and go "hmmmm".

But then we start adding things:
Wider and longer so we can incorporate a queen mattress and still have a nice roomy galley.
Cavity floor, walls and roof, so we can have insulation.
12v wiring,
AC shore power wiring,
Air conditioners and heaters.
Fantastic fan vents
More head room, so now ya have to frame it.
etc. etc.
Each of these adds time, cost, and brain strain.
Then all the extras add weight, and brakes become necessary rather than nice to have, and you risk out running the capacity of your tow vehicle.

Things to consider.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby Pmullen503 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:50 pm

The idea of getting a "starter" tear before building one is a good idea. You don't know what you really want till you use one several times. Mine is very spartan, I figured I could add amenities later. I never have. I found that alot of things I thought I wanted I wouldn't actually use much.

When I did a bunch of canoe camping in the Boundary Waters, I used write down what I brought, what I actually used, and what I wish I'd brought. After a few trips, I had a pretty concise list. Always had what I needed but not a bunch of extra stuff I really didn't. Kind of the TnTTT ethos right there.

Buying a tear, trying it out, then building your dream machine may be the least costly way to get exactly what you want..
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mnjeepguy » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:47 pm

twisted lines wrote:Your Time :QM I have plenty of that :lol:
Planing #2
Could use a 5'x12' V nose Myself
Already have 3 Trailers :?

Unfortunately...or I guess fortunately, I have more money than time. I am grateful I got to this point where I can consider the options I am considering. The build reason for me, it's part of the adventure.

MickinOz wrote:I take a long time to build. A lot of that time is finding stuff to build with.

But it seems to me that many people take so long to build because they decide from the get go to "custom build".

A teardrop can be a basic plywood box on wheels.
So, you could for example, weld up a dead simple rectangular 4 x 8 frame, whack on a solid beam axle with some relatively soft springs that don't shake the crap out of your creation, and screw down a 4 x8 sheet for a floor.
Then screw on two side walls made from 4 x 8 3/4in. sheets, screw in some spars and run some cladding over it.
A couple of premade doors and job done, in a very short time frame.

Like this one, probably my very favourite build log, certainly the one that inspired me to build: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=29535
First post: 4/28/2009
Camp ready: 9/15/2009

4.5 months. And quite a head turner, very aesthetically pleasing in my opinion.
One of those things that make you look a second time and go "hmmmm".

But then we start adding things:
Wider and longer so we can incorporate a queen mattress and still have a nice roomy galley.
Cavity floor, walls and roof, so we can have insulation.
12v wiring,
AC shore power wiring,
Air conditioners and heaters.
Fantastic fan vents
More head room, so now ya have to frame it.
etc. etc.
Each of these adds time, cost, and brain strain.
Then all the extras add weight, and brakes become necessary rather than nice to have, and you risk out running the capacity of your tow vehicle.

Things to consider.

I bolded the most important part, and some of my consideration. I started looking basic, then as you can see...I wanted headroom, etc. I didn't mention in the OP...but if I build, I will likely have a TV for crap weather, etc. But, I could likely be 99% as happy with my kindle on those rare nights can't stare at a fire. The more I look at my plan, the more I think a 5x8 could get me where I want. I refuse to go over 2K on weight, even though my "limit" is 3.5K.

Pmullen503 wrote:The idea of getting a "starter" tear before building one is a good idea. You don't know what you really want till you use one several times. Mine is very spartan, I figured I could add amenities later. I never have. I found that alot of things I thought I wanted I wouldn't actually use much.

When I did a bunch of canoe camping in the Boundary Waters, I used write down what I brought, what I actually used, and what I wish I'd brought. After a few trips, I had a pretty concise list. Always had what I needed but not a bunch of extra stuff I really didn't. Kind of the TnTTT ethos right there.

Buying a tear, trying it out, then building your dream machine may be the least costly way to get exactly what you want..

Love, and am stealing the list ideas! Even if my dreams come true, I will not be more than an hour from a store 99% of the time. Keeping tabs on what I use can really tell me what I need in a tiny trailer.
mnjeepguy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mnjeepguy » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:27 pm

Well, somewhere around June I should have my 5X9 Hiker.

I went a foot longer since if I build I was thinking 5X10. I'll soon know if going a foot or so taller inside is worth it like I was thinking vs the 4ft I'll be getting.
mnjeepguy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GTS225 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:25 am

I didn't notice if anyone mentioned it, but the idea of a "starter" has a lot of merit. Because, while you're using it, you can develop YOUR way of camping, then keep track of what features you want, and incorporate them into your build right from the start, rather than wishing later that you should have added "this" or "that" after the fact.

Just my opine.....Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Postby mnjeepguy » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:56 pm

GTS225 wrote:I didn't notice if anyone mentioned it, but the idea of a "starter" has a lot of merit. Because, while you're using it, you can develop YOUR way of camping, then keep track of what features you want, and incorporate them into your build right from the start, rather than wishing later that you should have added "this" or "that" after the fact.

Just my opine.....Roger

100% agreed. Above mentioned was a list of taken vs used. I am planning to use that idea. Also "when would I care about taller, longer" etc. I even figure some mods on this trailer can be transferred to the build if I get that far.

Main goal, getting out there...this covers it. If I need a two year build like so many, I am out living at the same time.
mnjeepguy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby irgod32 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:22 pm

Funny, you have a Jeep, I want a Jeep. I have a squaredrop, you wanna build one :lol:
Tiny Trailer Builders of America
Build it and they will come
irgod32
Teardrop Master

Postby mnjeepguy » Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:26 pm

irgod32 wrote:Funny, you have a Jeep, I want a Jeep. I have a squaredrop, you wanna build one :lol:

Grass is always greener? Yea? :)

I would never tell you not to get a Jeep...but this is my second...I will say know what you are getting into!
mnjeepguy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby twisted lines » Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:04 pm

mnjeepguy wrote:Well, somewhere around June I should have my 5X9 Hiker.

I went a foot longer since if I build I was thinking 5X10. I'll soon know if going a foot or so taller inside is worth it like I was thinking vs the 4ft I'll be getting.

I Think you will be very happy with it.
You should be able to get & store supplies for the build with that :thumbsup:
Think 10' 6" - 11"
The Headboard, Queen bed, Oven, Don't stack higher.

I will not be able to build one 4' wide :NC and my T/V is very small.

I drove (one) a week.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:11 pm

mnjeepguy wrote:
irgod32 wrote:Funny, you have a Jeep, I want a Jeep. I have a squaredrop, you wanna build one :lol:

Grass is always greener? Yea? :)

I would never tell you not to get a Jeep...but this is my second...I will say know what you are getting into!

I've owned two and second the notion!

We've gotten know our local mechanic real well, but then again he turned around and bought his wife a Jeep. :thinking:

And, before we retired and built the teardrop, spending a week or two in Colorado with the Jeep was a highlight of my year!

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Return to General Discussion