Disturbing availability or not ???

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Disturbing availability or not ???

Postby Modstock » Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:14 pm

The last few years I've noticed when reserving a campsite, that reserveamerica shows sold out loops in campgrounds . But when I get there half the CG is still empty with reserved signs posted and nobody there.
WTH ???

Just got off the phone with a place im going to soon and only one site to be had but she said I have the option of a power site when I get there.

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Disturbing availability or not ???

Postby mtbikernate » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:02 pm

I've noticed this, too.

I'm not sure what to make of it. I have heard on the grapevine that some people reserve a bunch of campsites and then resell the reservations on places like Craigslist, but I don't know how pervasive it is.
mtbikernate
Teardrop Master

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:05 pm

Some parks that have a 14 day maximum stay, allow for cheating the system. Lets say you want to reserve 3 days starting on July 15th. You back up 180 days and the window opens for July 15th, and all the sites are gone. What happens is people reserve 7-10 days before the dates they actually want to be able to reach forward and get dates they want, before those dates can be reserved fairly. Then they go back and cancel off the days they don't want. Or they just don't show on the first day they reserve. Many times people want a long weekend and reserve the whole week to only show up at the end of the week. I have seen a few campgrounds that say if the site isn't occupied they will re rent the site. So then someone in that group comes out early and pitches a tent to "occupy" the site. Sometimes it's just a case of "People Suck". They will do anything to get what they want.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:14 pm

There might be a partial solution to this. The campgrounds should start requiring FULL PAYMENT at the time of reservation, with a stated NO REFUNDS GIVEN. People and the European travel agency owners of digital 'BOTS' would back off in a hurry. This is already starting to happen with private campground resorts, here.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby friz » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:15 pm

Happens all the time where I camp. It seems to be a product of opening reservations in Dec the year before. People book every weekend whether they plan to use them or not.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:58 am

I spoke to two Hosts at two different National Parks as we traveled this past Jan/Feb about just this. Reserved signs everywhere and only 1/2-3/4 full.

First they both explained they have nothing to do with booking anymore. I fall in the same thought as folks are booking everything they can and canceling last minute or just not showing up. I was also told that if a site is vacant for 48hrs they can cancel the booking. Here's the kicker, they can't do it, it has to still go through Rec.gov..

Here's the issue as explained to me. Someone books the site for the limit of time (7-14 days) and does not show for several. The Host has the right to cancel the booking, but... the Host doesn't work for Rec.gov.. This host told me he 'used' to past the info down the line, yet nothing ever happened or it just didn't get past his action. He stated it would work if the Hosts had direct excess to Rec.gov to cancel such bookings.

I did notice that Rec.gov has gone to 'same day' booking, so that is good. Last I knew you had to book 24hrs in advance. This is a good move on their part!
I used it in Prescott NF. I was lucky enough that I had cell service to it cause the Host couldn't and the self-pay station was removed..

Safe Travels
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to General Discussion