Canoecopia

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Canoecopia

Postby QueticoBill » Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:26 am

Back in Madison WI for first in person Canoecopia since 2019. (I was here for 2020 as it was canceled late afternoon the day before.) I note it here because of the camping gear and allied RV / trailer show next door. TC Teardrops and CLC are in the Canoecopia exhibits. I've admired Friz's CLC but seeing one in person is much better than photos. The surfaces and materials are all so nice to touch. Senous comes to mind.

And outside is a Intech trailer - Dawn perhaps - which are out of my price range but very nice design.

Open till 6:00 today and I think 3:00 tomorrow.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Re: Canoecopia

Postby swoody126 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:38 am

when CLC showed at the WoodenBoat Festival in Port Aransas, Texas they brought EVERYTHING

and the guys who showed up with their stuff were the REAL GUYS from CLC not paid commercial exhibitors

if you have ANY questions about CLC products you can get an eye to eye answer in their display AREA(you can't call their displays BOOTHS)

GREAT FOLKS w/ GREAT PRODUCTS

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby Sparksalot » Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:56 pm

I built a CLC Mill Creek 16.5 in 2018 after drooling over it for 20 years. Pics from Walk The Winds in 2018.

Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby friz » Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:13 pm

I had a business crush on John Harris (CEO of CLC) for years before I bought my CLC Camper. I followed him because we were both in the business of selling kits at the time. Although not the same product. I would love to meet the guy sometime.

The success of a kit manufacturer is easily measured by the enthusiasm of their customers. Johns customers are almost like a cult and for good reason. He is totally committed to helping people realize their dreams. I was one of the first to order a kit and one of the first to complete one. I still have no regrets.

BTW mine is a 10 footer. Closer then 10ft and you start to see the flaws. Looks great in pictures though. I'm OK with that. It has seen a few hail storms and gets no love when out for adventure. It is due for a couple more coats of varnish to lessen some of the rash, dings and blems.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:26 pm

I turned a friend onto the CLC teardrop and told Hime he should see if in on here so he could get help and support from Friz. Starting to rethink myself and consider a CLC. The one shortcoming I saw was very little storage room in the cabin for even on change of cloths. But still, a very nice and reasonably economic option.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby friz » Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:04 pm

QueticoBill wrote:I turned a friend onto the CLC teardrop and told Hime he should see if in on here so he could get help and support from Friz. Starting to rethink myself and consider a CLC. The one shortcoming I saw was very little storage room in the cabin for even on change of cloths. But still, a very nice and reasonably economic option.
While perfect for me, I totally get that it is not enough for most. My galley is not a galley. It is clean storage for camping stuff that lives in the camper and bike stuff. The tongue box is storage for dirty greasy stuff, stove and solar panel. My mattress also stows in the foot well so bikes (broken down) and other big stuff travel inside. Coolers, water jug, chairs, grill etc. in the back of the car. You have to think like a backpacker to make it work. Oh yeah. Plastic boats. You also need plastic boats. And fishing stuff. And. And probably something I forgot.Image

The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby friz » Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:06 pm

QueticoBill wrote:I turned a friend onto the CLC teardrop and told Hime he should see if in on here so he could get help and support from Friz. Starting to rethink myself and consider a CLC. The one shortcoming I saw was very little storage room in the cabin for even on change of cloths. But still, a very nice and reasonably economic option.
Oh yeah clothes. Duffel bags that live at the head and foot of the bed.

The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:28 pm

I'll try to take a photo but they have added the option of a cargo something - a 10" or so "box" with doors and drawers that sits on the trailer and the cabin sits on it. Makes the galley shelf very high.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:06 pm

Sparksalot wrote:I built a CLC Mill Creek 16.5 in 2018 after drooling over it for 20 years. Pics from Walk The Winds in 2018.

I do like that boat.

In the last week I have noticed a new feature in canoe style boats :shock:
Auto pilot ;) Wonder if my old tracks will still work :lol:

I have fished beside a guy kicking away 4 miles out in the big blue before.
(He was kicking)
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:47 am

Well it's now canoecopia 2023 and I've been here all weekend. Back to near pre-pandemic levels. And as usual a trailer show next door, and s bicycle show next to that.

Previously only CLC was a part of the Canoe opus event but this year Vistabule is here. I've always been impressed by Vistabule, the slick conversion to seat and table inside and the bughe star gazing window. Really beautiful. Others must think so since orders today deliver in 9 months. And compared to $20,000 neighborhood pre-pandemic now over $30,000 well equipped. But really nice.

And Canoecopia presentations have been really fine. Really liked the solo female Washington to Sitka 78 day kayak trek. The message of several is don't be sorry for not trying the big treks.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Return to General Discussion