Spray Foam Floor AAR

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Spray Foam Floor AAR

Postby Rustic313 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:06 pm

Just a quick AAR on a spray foam for the underchassis of my cargo trailer conversion.

Floor is aluminum with stud sized crossbeams running under it. 7' wide x 20' of foam plus a V-nose... Foam is 4" deep and covers the studs. I had them leave two bays open for water tanks. Estimated foam is about 600-700 board feet. They also sprayed a fire retardant barrier as the last step.

Total cost was $1550, or $2.50/board foot. :? It took them three business days plus a weekend in the middle to get it done, and I left the trailer at their place.

The internet says closed cell spray foam should cost $1.30 to $2.90... so while expensive it wasn't completely nuts. I called around and of the five companies that did trailers, only this one was able to get it done in less than 30 days notice. Getting spray foam kits for "DIY" from Home Depot was going to be similar price plus a big hassle.

We have some high elevation cold weather camping set up for spring break, we'll see how it fares. Previously the metal floor got very cold and just sucked all the heat out of the trailer. With hookups we could keep it warmish inside but off grid if you weren't running propane continuously it get awfully cold.
Rustic313
Teardrop Builder

Spray Foam Floor AAR

Postby nsfr1206 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:44 am

I got two quotes on getting mine done. 7x20 plus the V and iirc they were both 500$.

Mine may have been for 2” though…
nsfr1206
Teardrop Master

Re: Spray Foam Floor AAR

Postby Gator417 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:03 am

4" of sprayed foam sounds like a solid and quiet floor. Are you planning on using foam throughout the trailer? Also, do you have plans to insulate the tanks? Just curious how to keep those from freezing up.
Gator
"Aluminum skinning is to cover rotting prone crappy plywood"
linuxmanxxx
Gator417
Teardrop Builder

Re: Spray Foam Floor AAR

Postby Rustic313 » Wed May 18, 2022 10:47 pm

Gator, I did the walls and ceiling with polyiso foam board.

I was able to sneak a bunch of great foam and 1/2" polyiso board above the water tanks to insulate the living space. The tanks themselves are exposed to the open air. Currently I just plan on draining them if it's below freezing.

Maybe down the road I'll get a 12v tank heater and some reflectix, but there's not space for a good insulation plan on the tanks themselves.

We did a spring trip and the insulation was noticeable. There is definitely a colder spot where the empty tank gaps were.
Rustic313
Teardrop Builder

Return to General Discussion