Need Help with Gas Struts For Hatch

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Need Help with Gas Struts For Hatch

Postby Capebuild » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:42 am

Hello. I'm trying to figure out how the struts get assembled as far as fitting the strut to the brackets (no experience in this area).

When I go to Mcmaster Carr it seems the strut I'm choosing has a ball end on it. When I scroll down to pick the brackets, they also seem to have a ball end...
so not sure I'm looking at the correct components, in that how does the strut connect to the bracket. Am I looking at the wrong style of bracket or does the ball
on the bracket get removed (like unscrewed off) and the studded ball end from the strut gets attached to the bracket??

Any insights/info/ clarification would be helpful. Please see attached.

Thanks!
John
Attachments
ball end on strut.jpg
ball end on strut.jpg (333.25 KiB) Viewed 185 times
top mount.jpg
top mount.jpg (262.37 KiB) Viewed 185 times
bottom mount.jpg
bottom mount.jpg (255.32 KiB) Viewed 185 times
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Re: Need Help with Gas Struts For Hatch

Postby GarthB » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:16 am

The ball and socket are held together with a safety clip. When you remove the clip, you can pop the socket off of the ball stud pretty easily. The springs will come with clips but I found that I needed extra as I lost one of mine during the on-and-off process of fitting my hatch. Link for extras is below:

https://www.mcmaster.com/gas-springs/ball-socket-safety-clips-for-gas-spring-end-fittings/

The mounting brackets come with a ball stud already installed (riveted to the bracket), so you can just throw the threaded ball stud that comes with the spring in your spare parts bin.
GarthB
Teardrop Master

Postby Capebuild » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:21 am

Hi Garth,

Thanks very much for the follow up and the link for the spare clips. All sounds good. Thanks for clarifying the set up.

Hope you're enjoying your trailer.

Regards
John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:22 am

Hi John and Garth!

Garth, I can’t remember if it was you or JoeGRZ that bought the aftermarket heavy angles for the struts because of the bending issue.
I followed the lead and bought them for mine on Amazon right off to avoid the same issue. Maybe something John may want to consider?

10MM Ball Stud Mounting Bracket for Gas Struts Lift Supports Shocks Spring Prop 4PCS, BLACK

Ralph
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby GarthB » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:59 pm

John,
Happy to help! We are anxiously awaiting the weather to allow us our first trip of the year.

Ralph,
Thanks for the reminder on the stronger brackets! I had forgotten about that dilemma. For some reason the link that you shared didn't post correctly. Hopefully this link for the stronger brackets works:

https://www.amazon.com/Spring-Strut-Bracket-Mounting-Support/dp/B08MXM22Z3/ref=asc_df_B08MXM22Z3/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=494939685805&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15439607414602143554&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9052016&hvtargid=pla-1164727434638&psc=1
GarthB
Teardrop Master

Postby Capebuild » Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:08 pm

Thanks Ralph and Garth for following up with that link for the brackets. Those look heavier than the ones I was looking at McMaster. Well, the heavier products at McMaster were $89 each.... so I was looking for alternatives. Those available on Amazon look great. I was wondering about the ball size.... so 10 mm seems good and if I start with that as a benchmark, I can get the springs and female sockets from McMaster.

I thought it best to install the hatch and get put a stick on the underside of the hatch with the other end of the stick on a scale to get a weight before I order the struts.
Accuracy counts. :)

Thanks very much, both ......

John

Capebuild
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion