Expiration Dates

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Expiration Dates

Postby KCStudly » Fri May 13, 2022 8:56 pm

Over the counter (OTC) pharmaceuticals general have a 2 year expiration date because that is how long the FDA makes manufacturers test and validate for. Some products will be good for a period after this, perhaps a long period, but because nobody was required to validate, they don't put it on the label. I know the fluoride in toothpaste is very difficult to keep stable, so it probably isn't as effective after its use by date. Sure, the suspension media and polishing powders will still get your teeth clean, but cavity protection from the sugar alcohols (sorbitol and glycerin) will go away.

I can personally attest that sun screen has a shelf life. I used some old stuff a couple of years ago when I went to the drags and the oils made my sunburn worse w/o the benefit of the spent blockers. Took me a couple of days in the sun frying to figure that one out.
Last edited by KCStudly on Sun May 15, 2022 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Fri May 13, 2022 10:09 pm

KCStudly wrote:Over the counter (OTC) pharmaceuticals general have a 2 year expiration date because that is how long the FDA makes manufacturers test and validate for. Some products will be good for a period after this, perhaps a long period, but because nobody was required to validate, they don't put it on the label. I know the fluoride in toothpaste is very difficult to keep stable, so it probably isn't as effective after its use by date. Sure, the suspension media and polishing powders will still get your teeth clean, but cavity protection from the sugar alcohols (sorbitol and glycerin) will go away.

I can personally attest that sun screen has a shelf life. I used some old stuff a couple of years ago when I went to the dregs and the oils made my sunburn worse w/o the benefit of the spent blockers. Took me a couple of days in the sun frying to figure that one out.

Thanks, KC. That's a good rule of thumb to know.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Wrecit » Sun May 15, 2022 12:51 pm

Hybrid car battery's. As a owner of a 2006 Prius I know first hand that you need to replace the big battery after use (between 150,000 and 200,000 miles seem to be the sweet spot) and though they are expensive to repair they really are not that bad when you consider the maintenance costs you don't tend to have with a hybrid.

Unfortunately the options for replace are a refurb unit (that are good but there is a potential of getting a dud) or going to the dealership for a new battery. The issue with dealer battery for a 2006 Prius is you got a good chance of getting one installed with a manufacturer date of 2017 or 2018. Yes they are new but a battery sitting on a shelf for 5 plus years has its own issues.

There are some aftermarket new battery s coming on the market that are actually new but only time will tell if they are up to snuff.

Check for manufacturer date on battery's because it is important
You hide your conversion and call it stealth. I put mine out in the open and give it a beer.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74635
Wrecit
Teardrop Master

Expiration Dates

Postby nbcarey » Tue May 17, 2022 1:43 am

halfdome, Danny wrote:Good topic. :thumbsup:
We recently bought a tube of Gorilla Glue construction adhesive and nothing would come out after several puncture’s of the seal, ended up throwing it away.
Going to check for dates on things like that from now on.
Got nothing to do with "best by" dates. Polyurethane adhesives like Gorilla Glue cure via a reaction with moisture. Once the seal is compromised, and the stuff exposed to air, the chemical reaction starts. Maybe not so much if you live in, say, Phoenix or Tucson.
nbcarey
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Tue May 17, 2022 8:20 am

And don't forget to check the dates on those big cans...

:frightened: :frightened: :frightened: :frightened: :frightened:

Tony :FNP
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue May 17, 2022 9:17 am

tony.latham wrote:And don't forget to check the dates on those big cans...

I love this fragrance! Mmmm, peppery!

The Bear :lol:
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue May 17, 2022 8:57 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:
tony.latham wrote:And don't forget to check the dates on those big cans...

I love this fragrance! Mmmm, peppery!

The Bear :lol:

I was waiting for this and you didn't disappoint!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby JasenC » Sun May 22, 2022 10:09 pm

Caulking and adhesives have an expiration date, most are about a year from production.

Computers are sold all the time past the expiration date :lol:
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon May 23, 2022 12:45 pm

Calendars!

I keep a pocket calendar in our tear to write down camping reservations etc. (Probably could figure out how to do it on the telephone, but I won't!) Just realized the one I used last year expires at the end of June.

Oh, also epipens. That one comes from someone on our balloon crew who had a bad encounter with a wasp last week. (She's fine now.)

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon May 23, 2022 7:01 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:Calendars!

I keep a pocket calendar in our tear to write down camping reservations etc. (Probably could figure out how to do it on the telephone, but I won't!) Just realized the one I used last year expires at the end of June.

Oh, also epipens. That one comes from someone on our balloon crew who had a bad encounter with a wasp last week. (She's fine now.)

Tom

Wow! I never would have guessed either of those! Epipens are something serious! Glad your friend is okay.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Squigie » Tue May 24, 2022 1:03 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:I don't believe in "best by" dates. Note they aren't "expiration dates" like medicines (which I also don't necessarily believe in).

Generally a reasonable approach.
From a pharmacist friend of mine, just a few days ago:
Just don't try to save any tetracyclines, cephalosporins or pencillin-derivatives. Those post a legitimate health risk beyond their expiration dates.
By and large expirations dates are established via the same method as [obscure reference to greed combined with randomness].
They're verified via stability-indicating assays, of course, but the initial date selection are largely pulled [from rectums].
Squigie
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion