Does anyone run a dehumidifier in their camper?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Does anyone run a dehumidifier in their camper?

Postby CCTider » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:53 am

I'm on the Gulf Coast. Anyone who's been here knows how brutal the humidity is during the summer. I know people with manufactured campers, that run a dehumidifier, to keep it from turning into pus.

Now being homemade, the materials being used are almost certainly better than one built in 24 hours with the cheapest materials available. But nobody wants their camper to smell like a dirty locker room

What do y'all do to keep it dry while in storage? Dehumidifier? Large desiccant bags? Nothing?
CCTider
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Does anyone run a dehumidifier in their camper?

Postby gudmund » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:15 pm

I've never used a dehumidifier, but I do use the chemicals -'Damp-rid' &/or 'Dri-z-air'- most all of the year when the trailer is parked not being used. In the winter I also put a 900/1500 watt space heater in it and keep it heated at about 55/60degrees. Here in the Pacific NW(Wa) we don't really get the real 'wet' humidity, but that's not to say we don't get the 'rain' = almost any time of the year being located on this island - 700ft from the salt water here on Puget Sound. The other thing I use is a electronic 'indoor/outdoor' humidity/temperature gauge. The temp/humidity sensor is in the trailer with the 'radio frequency monitor' sitting here inside my house on the desk so I can monitor the temps/humid reading inside the trailer at any time. (= showing 73degrees at 56% humidity right now) this works good in the winter making sure the heater keeps working along with the heat staying at the temps I want.
gudmund
500 Club

Return to General Discussion