Anti theft idea

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Anti theft idea

Postby TallGuy7 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:54 pm

Usage of the Apple Airtag as an anti theft device seems kind of useless to me. To prevent an airtag from being used for stalking an iphone user is informed when an airtag travels along….

When I take my girlfriend’s keys instead of my own for example, I get informed about an airtag following me.

There are better solutions available.

Just my 2 cent’s….

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
TallGuy7
Teardrop Advisor

Postby iristhomas1299 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:01 am

How to secure a trailer against theft. Step 1: Secure the coupler with a padlock. Step 2: Install safety chains, straps and regular chains. Step 3: Adding a wheel or tire lock.More tips for touring with a trailer. Tip 1: Secure the keys in the locks. Tip 2: Be careful where you park. Tip 3: Install digital devices. https://www.rvhometown.com/secure-a-trailer-from-theft/
Last edited by iristhomas1299 on Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
iristhomas1299
Teardrop Inspector

Postby philpom » Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:56 pm

I use a large hardened chain through the wheel and around the spring and axle with a big hunk'en lock along with a tongue lock for the camper. It's not perfect but I feel pretty good about it. I think the key is multiple layers in order to make another look more appealing than yours. It's also sitting parked under a security camera and 350 watts of motion activated 5K lighting.

With that said, I have had my heavy duty dump trailer in the driveway for 6 years with only a tongue lock sometimes and I still have it....
philpom
Teardrop Master

Postby working on it » Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:14 am

philpom wrote:I use a large hardened chain through the wheel and around the spring and axle with a big hunk'en lock along with a tongue lock for the camper. It's not perfect but I feel pretty good about it. I think the key is multiple layers in order to make another look more appealing than yours. It's also sitting parked under a security camera and 350 watts of motion activated 5K lighting.

With that said, I have had my heavy duty dump trailer in the driveway for 6 years with only a tongue lock sometimes and I still have it....

When at home, my 4x8 squareback camping trailer lives in a locked garage bay, but still has the tongue lock on it, and there's my Chevy 2500HD pickup parked outside, directly in front of the garage door.

My 4.5x10 utility trailer sits outside, too, with a tongue lock and an ONGUARD Akita Key Cable Lock 100cmx15mm locked thru one wheel around the leaf spring, with a Master Lock 8364DCC Cable Bike Lock on the other wheel/spring. And there's a 3/8" chain from the trailer, wrapped & locked around a tree behind it. And, it's partially blocked-in by the Chevy, while my GMC pickup completes the blocking process.

Neither trailer is visible from the street (even if the 4x8 isn't stowed away), and neither is likely to be messed-with, though we did have a larger travel trailer that had someone attempt to open the door, but failed. Probably the idiot kid next door, since it was next to their yard, out of sight of my office window, where I sit in the catbird seat, overlooking my property, fully armed (and the entire neighborhood is aware of that fact). And I have two like-minded neighbors... we look out for each other. My property has a locked gate, and there are several No Trespassing signs on gate & fencing, and in semi-rural Texas, you'd better respect them!

I seldom camp anymore, but when I do, it's in a group, and there's always someone in camp, and we're all watching out for each other. No theft! due to Boomers with "boomers" being present. My trailer stays locked to my truck, or with tongue and cable lock attached, if I leave camp for awhile. And the door I use is always well-lit, while the other door is locked inside and out. Whatever a thief could grab on the outside, grab & run style, is easily replaceable anyway, and not worth getting caught taking.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby MickinOz » Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:07 pm

I thought more of the American bros would be using a more proactive security system.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (35.12 KiB) Viewed 204 times
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:25 pm

All I use is a lock on my coupler. But if I was more worried I would make that coupler removable. Many are just held on with 2 large bolts. So instead of the bolts I would use 2 of the barrel locks in their place. Once to the campsite, just unlock and remove the coupler. Very hard to tow without a coupler.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby philpom » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:21 pm

working on it wrote:
philpom wrote:I use a large hardened chain through the wheel and around the spring and axle with a big hunk'en lock along with a tongue lock for the camper. It's not perfect but I feel pretty good about it. I think the key is multiple layers in order to make another look more appealing than yours. It's also sitting parked under a security camera and 350 watts of motion activated 5K lighting.

When at home, my 4x8 squareback camping trailer lives in a locked garage bay, but still has the tongue lock on it, and there's my Chevy 2500HD pickup parked outside, directly in front of the garage door.

My 4.5x10 utility trailer sits outside, too, with a tongue lock and an ONGUARD Akita Key Cable Lock 100cmx15mm locked thru one wheel around the leaf spring, with a Master Lock 8364DCC Cable Bike Lock on the other wheel/spring. And there's a 3/8" chain from the trailer, wrapped & locked around a tree behind it. And, it's partially blocked-in by the Chevy, while my GMC pickup completes the blocking process.

Neither trailer is visible from the street (even if the 4x8 isn't stowed away), and neither is likely to be messed-with, though we did have a larger travel trailer that had someone attempt to open the door, but failed. Probably the idiot kid next door, since it was next to their yard, out of sight of my office window, where I sit in the catbird seat, overlooking my property, fully armed (and the entire neighborhood is aware of that fact). And I have two like-minded neighbors... we look out for each other. My property has a locked gate, and there are several No Trespassing signs on gate & fencing, and in semi-rural Texas, you'd better respect them!

I seldom camp anymore, but when I do, it's in a group, and there's always someone in camp, and we're all watching out for each other. No theft! due to Boomers with "boomers" being present. My trailer stays locked to my truck, or with tongue and cable lock attached, if I leave camp for awhile. And the door I use is always well-lit, while the other door is locked inside and out. Whatever a thief could grab on the outside, grab & run style, is easily replaceable anyway, and not worth getting caught taking.

Sounds secure, Mine would normally be in garage bay 2 but I have it out for rain testing. Beyond that I'm on a corner lot and my neighbor across the street takes all of the attention with his '63, '72, '84, '14, and '22 Vettes plus the '83 and '84 DeLorean's are also head turners. Nobody is paying attention to my DIY camper, I'm a ghost.

To the OP, I'd stick with the intended method of the hitch you bought just for good measure, some good advice given in the comments above.
philpom
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to General Discussion