Wheels and Stabilzer Jacks

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Wheels and Stabilzer Jacks

Postby Dahlia47 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:28 am

Hi!!! Been a while!!
I need to put some better tires on my TTT. They are basically street tires with very little tread. I would like a bit more tread. How do I know what size of tire to look for? Is there a difference? I know the numbers and letters on the side of the tires tells you something about the tire. What would I be looking for?

Also, I have some dinky stabilizers I put on the 4 corners of my TTT when it is parked. However we have to get on our hands and knees to put them under the steel frame and hand turn the large screws. I would like something much easier. The little TTT barely weighs 1,000 lbs. Any suggestions?
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Re: Wheels and Stabilzer Jacks

Postby JasenC » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:54 am

What size tires are you running now, car or tiny little trailer tires. Are you planning on taking it on rough unprepared dirt roads or off road.

As for trailer stabilizers BAL C jacks is the route I'm going.

I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby Dahlia47 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:29 pm

They are tiny trailer tires The numbers on them are 4.80-12 and k353-117.

I have a couple trips planned. A couple deserts and a couple mountains. I already know how to lift it. It will only be about an inch. I need the clearance to take it up to the cabin on an old logging road from the mid 1800s. I worry about the tiny wheels on the long highways and the rugged roads. Need tougher wheels.

I really like the bal c jacks. Thats what I am looking for.

I am doing the finishing touches on it. Its been great! I think I am going to keep it for quite a while! Shes been a joy to work on!

I will be buying a 4x4 soon. What ever the color is, i will be painting the TTT.
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Postby JasenC » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:17 pm

Options are limited in this tiny tires, I'm figuring those are pretty much like my 5.30-12's the ones that came with my trailer that are rated for 45 MPH, probably about the same as yours. I'd look for a radial speed rated for 60 or 80 MPH, that's going to be a good step up in tire quality over what typically comes on these small utility trailers, and it looks like you can go with a ST145/R12 which may open up a few more options. A radial is going to be a much better tire in general than a biasply. If you built a standard teardrop with open wheels you can go with whatever your wheel can take and/or axle hub will accommodate. Poke around E trailer, even ask them what your options are. A radial will cost around $70-$90 each, but it's the route I'm going.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby Graniterich » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:26 pm

JasenC wrote:Options are limited in this tiny tires, I'm figuring those are pretty much like my 5.30-12's the ones that came with my trailer that are rated for 45 MPH, probably about the same as yours. I'd look for a radial speed rated for 60 or 80 MPH, that's going to be a good step up in tire quality over what typically comes on these small utility trailers, and it looks like you can go with a ST145/R12 which may open up a few more options. A radial is going to be a much better tire in general than a biasply. If you built a standard teardrop with open wheels you can go with whatever your wheel can take and/or axle hub will accommodate. Poke around E trailer, even ask them what your options are. A radial will cost around $70-$90 each, but it's the route I'm going.
Take the speed rating with a grain of salt. Forty years doing up to 75. Never had a problem. It is for liability protection

Sent from my KFTRWI using Tapatalk
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby Dahlia47 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:09 am

If i change out the tires for a different size do I need to also change the axle? Ill be getting the size listed above.
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Postby friz » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:22 am

I went from 4.80-12 to ST145R12 without a problem. I still have the 4.80-12 tires mounted on the original wheels for spares.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Return to General Discussion