Rear road wheel

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Rear road wheel

Postby fredryc » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:53 am

Hi, every bike I get I end up snapping the spokes on the rear wheel (I am 130kg at the moment). I just bought a commuter bike (2021 GIANT FASTROAD SL 1) which was within my budget. I have no idea where to start to find a rear wheel that can handle my weight. If anyone has any suggestions it would be much appreciated. Also, once I have ideas on what wheel, how do I know what size and everything will fit my bike? I look at the specs for my bike on Giant website and is not clear to me what size. Any help would be awesome, thanks.
fredryc
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Rear road wheel

Postby friz » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:06 pm

Find a bike shop that can build a high spoke count wheel. Loaded touring guys carry big loads al the time. If you want to go bulletproof, look at workman cycles. I have been able to get away with stock stuff at 270-300 lbs.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby gudmund » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:11 am

during my 'bicycling' days of the eighty's, for my 1983 ride cross the states (3091 miles=than age 29) - I assembled a set of 48 spoke wheels w/sealed Phil Wood hubs (what at that time were commonly seen being used on the 2-person tandem bicycles) and yes, they may have been - just a bit of total 'overkill' - but they also ended up being one "great" set of wheels!!!! And yes they were just a bit on the heavy side - but, there was never any broken spokes along with them ""never"" being even 'out of true'!! and they ended up being my 'touring set' of wheels for every long run ride I went on, from than on!!! (= almost '10' !!thousand miles!! rode in the 80's).... All of that cycling 'stuff' is gone now, but was told by the shop I sold everything too - that that set of wheels is still being used today by the person who bought them from the shop. ---- me today = 68 years old - never smoked w/little to no drinking and with still 'no' joint problems!!! -BUT - = am now w pacemaker along with having had open heart surgery = oh well..... at least I don't have to work any more!!!!! ............. (the ride across the states in '83 is also why I own a teardrop today = haven't (& won't) slept on the ground since Fargo,ND '83 & from that point on, every overnight bike ride after that = 'Motel6' here I come .....(which were only about $18 a nite back than................... = a 'teardrop' today!!!!!) take care :thinking: :thumbsup:
gudmund
500 Club

Postby friz » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:11 pm

gudmund wrote:during my 'bicycling' days of the eighty's, for my 1983 ride cross the states (3091 miles=than age 29) - I assembled a set of 48 spoke wheels w/sealed Phil Wood hubs (what at that time were commonly seen being used on the 2-person tandem bicycles) and yes, they may have been - just a bit of total 'overkill' - but they also ended up being one "great" set of wheels!!!! And yes they were just a bit on the heavy side - but, there was never any broken spokes along with them ""never"" being even 'out of true'!! and they ended up being my 'touring set' of wheels for every long run ride I went on, from than on!!! (= almost '10' !!thousand miles!! rode in the 80's).... All of that cycling 'stuff' is gone now, but was told by the shop I sold everything too - that that set of wheels is still being used today by the person who bought them from the shop. ---- me today = 68 years old - never smoked w/little to no drinking and with still 'no' joint problems!!! -BUT - = am now w pacemaker along with having had open heart surgery = oh well..... at least I don't have to work any more!!!!! ............. (the ride across the states in '83 is also why I own a teardrop today = haven't (& won't) slept on the ground since Fargo,ND '83 & from that point on, every overnight bike ride after that = 'Motel6' here I come .....(which were only about $18 a nite back than................... = a 'teardrop' today!!!!!) take care :thinking:
Holy spoke count! My liquorcicle has 36 spoke wheels. Streight guage spokes and isleted double wall rims pretty bullet proof. My mountain bikes are usually 28 spoke light weight stuff. I get about 3k out of a set.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby gudmund » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:30 pm

years ago, 36 spoke wheels were the norm - you would never see anything with less than that -unless- someone had built them with less 'themselves'. The aluminum being used in rims back than, depending on 'who it was' making it, most of the time was soft = not having the rigidity like what is being used today. There was a 'liability' issue when building a wheel with less than 36. If that is what you really wanted = they would sell you the pieces, so you could built them yourself (which is how/why I ended up learning how to build my own wheels - I ended up with my own Park Wheel Truing Stand - dishing tool - spoke tensiometer, etc.... :) and YES, I was than "Happy", not having to go to the shop for wheel work anymore - PS just sold it all a few weeks ago = no more interest) Back than, Asian made rims were not that good and if you were on the 'heavy side in weight' = they would go out of true much more often! than not!! - the French made rims = the "GOOD" stuff (Mavic/Wobler)...... today, most of all of it, no matter the brand = good = very rigid & very strong, which allows more distance between spokes thus being able to build wheels with less spokes = less rolling mass and along with less wind resistance!! (and let me tell you - when using that 'front' 48 spoke tandem wheel & going down a hill on a good "fast" roll = when GETTING HIT with a good blast of side wind - say from a truck passing, sometimes could get just a bit 'hairy' !! = getting knocked around (along also with 'sometimes' getting a little wind "music" thrown in - they would 'sing' every so often) = Oh the memories.................. sometimes these days = it is 'still' shocking for me, when seeing how "few" spokes there are when looking at some of 'todays' built wheels :shock: :thinking: :?
PS -but, I LOVE them (today's) disc brakes and the 'single' front chain ring gear system's = them brakes work so much better than the old rubber pads and the 'not having' a front shifter/derailleur to deal with = so much nicer = YES!!! just shift up or down!! :thumbsup:
gudmund
500 Club

Return to General Discussion