Is Drip Edge Necessary??

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Is Drip Edge Necessary??

Postby Capebuild » Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:14 pm

Is drip edge necessary above the doors to the cabin? I've noticed some trailers have it, others don't. I'm wondering if it provides a "big" difference having it?? I can't imagine it keeps water away from the top of the door when traveling, so I assume it's there to keep rainwater away from top of door when parked and using the trailer. But for those that don't have it, did you wish you did have it.... a vice versa, for those that have it, do you think it makes a difference, having it?

Thanks

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Re: Is Drip Edge Necessary??

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:50 pm

Capebuild wrote:Is drip edge necessary above the doors to the cabin? I've noticed some trailers have it, others don't. I'm wondering if it provides a "big" difference having it?? I can't imagine it keeps water away from the top of the door when traveling, so I assume it's there to keep rainwater away from top of door when parked and using the trailer. But for those that don't have it, did you wish you did have it.... a vice versa, for those that have it, do you think it makes a difference, having it?

Thanks

John
I’ve never seen the need where we camp.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby friz » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:14 pm

The difference maybe a couple drops when you open the door in the wet. The door needs to seal anyway because rain is omnidirectional behind a tow vehicle. That said, I love the brows on my CLC. They break up the shape a little. Image

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby Staryder61 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:30 pm

A little different on our part, but think it's a good point..
We live in a travel trailer full time. There weren't any drip rails over the doors.
When it rained, it'd run right down the side of the trailer into the doorways on to the floor.. have to use a rag to dry it up..
I've installed drip rails, no more problem..
Guess it falls under personal preference..

You run weather stripping on your doors,, to keep the water out.
So, diverting the water away from the top of the door makes since.. (IMHO)
We're doing a CTC at this time, and it will have drip edges over the doors on it..
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:48 am

In our WET climate , drip edges are necessary everywhere ... :thinking: And just saying before we added drip edges , we had problems with the morning dew every day keeping parts of our trailer soaked all the time ... :o
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:15 am

I have commercially made doors in Ol' #1.
They don't leak. Not that we get much rain in South Oz, but one night it came down fairly heavy. I woke in the morning, and lay in bed for a while watching the news on TV and looking the cabin over for water ingress. None. Nothing came in the vents, nothing came in the doors.
Until I could no longer delay the bathroom run. I opened the door and all the water that had been sitting on top of the door seal came in and got the edge of my mattress.
I have fitted somewhat rudimentary aluminium angle rain deflectors to @2.
The other morning it rained, and I watched runoff from the roof and the little bit of side wall above the door run down onto the angle, run forward and trickle off the end, running down the wall just forward of the hinges.
I think them necessary, and will be installing some on Ol #1.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Return to General Discussion