!978 skylark total rebuild

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

!978 skylark total rebuild

Postby saican » Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:23 am

Hello All,
I bought this 1978 14' skylark two months ago by thinking to repair some stuff on it and use it, when i bought i could see minor leaks in top corners, when i start removing the sides i found all the frame work in the bottom is just gone try to fix it but it looks like it is not worth it,i am thinking to removing everything out from the frame repaint the frame and install new floor and build brand new camper structure i would like to add one bunk bed,double bed,kitchen,flush toilet in it,i am looking for the good floor plan if anyone please help me with it,i did look some of them but very confuse because they are not detailed drawings, please help me.
Thanks
saican
Teardrop Inspector

Re: !978 skylark total rebuild

Postby rjgimp » Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:37 pm

There is probably a nice solid frame to be found under all that mess. If you build a torsion box sandwich floor you could probably stretch that out to at least 15' or maybe even 16' without modifying the frame at all. I am currently stripping a '68 Steury popup to build on and will end up in a similar size range. You could lay out a rectangle of appropriate size on the garage floor or driveway in tape and then cut out pieces of newspaper or cardboard in the size and shape of things you would install (potty, stove, fridge, dinette, bed) and place them in different orientations within the tape to test out different layouts.
:vroom:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Return to General Discussion