Tongue weight on a lightweight teardrop?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Tongue weight on a lightweight teardrop?

Postby Bretster » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:43 am

I am building a minimalist 5x10 TD using an aluminum snowmobile trailer. Unfortunately the way the trailer is reinforced I couldn’t move the axle back into an optimal position. So I am using a tongue box and careful weight distribution to balance front/rear weight and ensure a safe pull.

My question - is weight distribution as important on a lightweight trailer (less than 1000 pounds anticipated) and does the ratio of 10-15% tongue vs trailer weight still hold true? I ask in part because it doesn’t seem to matter that much how I load my utility trailer unless I have something heavy like gravel in it.

Thanks much!
Bret

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bretster
Teardrop Builder

Re: Tongue weight on a lightweight teardrop?

Postby friz » Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:37 am

That ratio still holds true.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby KCStudly » Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:59 pm

My UT trailer, "The Charcoal Briquette", is a tilt bed design. As such, the axle is placed marginally at the cg of the bed. That way when you tilt the bed up or down empty, it more or less stays while you load or put the pin back in.

This is a complete design compromise, as it puts the axle too far forward for good balance empty. As I approach 50 mph empty it will start to waggle. If it has just a few more pounds loaded at the front it does much better and doesn't wag.

So, yes, axle placement is important regardless of total weight.

Another thing I noticed is that when towing with the 2017 Jeep, that has the hitch ball slightly higher than the Ford I used to tow with, it doesn't seem as bad empty. On the other hand, that puts the trailer tilted up slightly and it should really be level or tilted down slightly for safety sake.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:01 pm

The fact that the Jeep has a slightly longer wheelbase than the Ford could also be a factor in the improvement.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Bretster » Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:18 pm

Mine is also a tilt bed, although I did move the axle as far back as possible given the reinforcements on the trailer’s main frame where the axle is attached. I am still a ways from the optimal placement but as I said, I can adjust through moving things forward. I also minimized weight in the back as in no battery, 2 slider trays vs a bunch of drawers and simple shelves in the cabin. I will keep water, batteries, etc in a tongue box and the cooler in the tow vehicle and see how it pulls. I will adjust until I get something in the 10-15% range.

Bret

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bretster
Teardrop Builder

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:57 am

Be aware that how you load your TD is important well. I used the 60/40 ratio on axle placement then confirmed my 'guess' after loading and weighing my trailer. Now there are several online calculators to assist you on correct placement.

Things like having a storage box on the tongue or refrigerator out back change the dynamic's. I know of another that built his trailer without considering this and uses a distribution hitch now to compensate. Not ideal..

Think about what and how you will bring along (or may in the future) toys. I liked the Square drop I saw and the bike carrier on a rack on the roof. Places the additional weight over the axle being no (or little) effect to tongue weight! Very creative I thought, and told him so (also had a cleaver system to the rack to get the bikes on/off).

Best of on your build!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:47 am

Here's an extra-lightweight trailer...

:frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to General Discussion