Any HVAC guys on the board?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Any HVAC guys on the board?

Postby Wrecit » Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:21 pm

Ok so I think way to much so this idea may be just a mental exercise.

I am putting this fridge in my build.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hisense-1-6- ... /650752623

The "freezer" area is next to useless so......

What if I got a aluminum box that would fit the entire freezer area and plumbed two 1/2 or 3/8 lines out of the box then ran them through the side of the fridge.

Then take 3 or 4 ft of copper line (1/4 inch) and coil it around in about a 3 inch loop and put that loop inside of 4 inch PVC and plumb it all together with an in line pump to circulate and a high side bleeder valve and a low end fill valve and fill the system with 1 part rubbing alcohol 2 parts water.

Put a quality computer fan on one end of the 4 inch pipe to push air through.

This 4 inch pipe can be placed in the living space. Initially I was thinking draw air from outside but might work better recycling the air inside the living space.

Only issue I can see is would need to kerf Inside the pipe and plumb for condensation removal.

I told you it was outside the box lol.

Any thoughts?
You hide your conversion and call it stealth. I put mine out in the open and give it a beer.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74635
Wrecit
Teardrop Master

Re: Any HVAC guys on the board?

Postby MickinOz » Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:09 pm

Thoughts in no particular order from a non HVAC guy.
I believe fridges these days use the cabinet as the condenser. i.e. they once had a big grill at the back to dissipate the heat they were extracting from the fridge compartment, but now the pipe work is bonded to the cabinet and the whole thing is used to radiate the heat.
The first thing you'd need to do would be to plug in the hot fridge and feel carefully for which parts of the cabinet get hot. That's where the pipes are and you should avoid that area.
Otherwise you might drill through the refrigeration pipes.

The way I understand it is you are the going to use a mix of alcohol and water to remove heat from the cabin and transfer it back to the fridge for removal to outside atmosphere.
In theory, it could work.
But, my thinking is that it won't work very well.
I couldn't find the power consumption of your fridge, but I have a 40L (1.4 c.f.) bar fridge that is rated at 80W.
The smallest air conditioner I found in a very quick google search uses 600W.
Fridges are designed to chill a certain amount of mass then maintain it. Thinking about how long the very first chill session takes, that shows how small the actual heat pumping capacity of a fridge is.
Then, compared to an air conditioner, you are proposing an extra heat exchanging step.
It all adds up to lack of capacity and inefficiency. I believe you'll be disappointed.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Return to General Discussion