filling 11lb propane tank

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

filling 11lb propane tank

Postby fredo » Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:21 pm

I did a couple searches but couldnt find an answer. I am going through the design phase currently of my own build and wondering if it just easier to use a 20# tank that can be exchanged almost anywhere or go with the smaller 11# ? I dont know anything about getting those little tanks filled. do you have to go to like a welding supply or where do they fill them? so if you are in a strange city or out in the country at least with a 20# you could find a walmart to exchange it.

thanks in advance.
fredo
Teardrop Inspector

Re: filling 11lb propane tank

Postby twisted lines » Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:13 pm

You can buy two 20s for what the 10 -11 lbs cost;
I like the little ones twice as much so I have two :thinking:
Same filling for both.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:40 pm

We can easily go 35 nights with our 11 pound tank and don’t have a problem finding a place to get it filled.

So it’s not an issue. I wouldn’t want a 20 pounder up there. Image

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:34 pm

You’re getting ripped off many times with an exchange. Tractor Supply and many others will refill them for you. I did a new empty 5# tank for $2 in 2020.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby mountainminded » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:41 pm

Not sure where you are located but out here in the west nearly every regular gas station also dispenses propane, although not at mini-mart type stations where there is only one employee juggling every job on the premise. You will find it’s cheaper to have your tank refilled for you and the tank will be FILLED. Read the fine print at the tank exchange place and you will see that those 20# tanks are only about 3/4 full. If you already have a tank exchange tank — no worries. As long as the tank is not past its certification date (stamped near the handle) you can get it refilled too. It’s yours, no need to keep exchanging it. Like others who have posted here I prefer a smaller tank for travel and use a Manchester 5# tank on my TD trips.
Cheers,
-Rob

Rob Walker, Trailers4Two Bend Oregon
mountainminded
Teardrop Advisor

Postby JasenC » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:32 pm

I was going to go the exchange route as well but ran into space issues and am going with an 11# If you go with an 11# check Lowes, you can order a non labeled Flame King for $70 which is $40-$70 cheaper than anyplace I could find.

A lot of (real) gas stations do it in and around Seattle, plus Uhaul, some of the industrial gas places and the propane companies like Amerigas, I'm sure if you google it you'll find a few places close by.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:45 am

Two places I lived the U-Haul shop refilled propane canisters.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

11lb propane tank

Postby noseoil » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:27 am

Our 11# tank works well enough for our needs. It lasts a long time & is easy to refill. There wasn't enough room for a 20# bottle at the front once the drop body, tongue box & everything was set in place. Had a good 1/4" of clearance left over, once it was installed.

Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Staryder61 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:29 pm

Sparksalot wrote:You’re getting ripped off many times with an exchange. Tractor Supply and many others will refill them for you. I did a new empty 5# tank for $2 in 2020.

I agree with Sparks on this.. :thumbsup:
Most exchange tanks in our area of Texas, are only 15lb, and they are usually not filled properly. Over the years I've tried three different exchange companies. Exchange a tank, for a refill. Then took it to a reputable propane company, and they could add another 20% propane to top it off..
Buy a good Manchester tank, have it filled where you buy it, and have it refilled there.. You'll save money in the long run..

Of all 9 tanks (4ea 30# and 5ea 20# ) we have now.. All are Manchester tanks from Ace Hardware.. always filled at either Ace Hardware or Tractor Supply (depending on price at the time and their supply) when needed..
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby vladislaoapp » Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:41 pm

An 11-pound propane tank is a perfect volume to spend about two weeks in a trailer if you are alone. But it all depends on how often you heat the water for coffee or tea or soup. I am driving with such a propane tank. And I don't plan to change it shortly. Although cylinders of any volume should be checked from time to time for good pressure and no leaks. I read about how to choose the Best Propane Tank Gauges, which help you calculate exactly how much propane you have left before the end of the trip or camping. When I see that less than half of the propane is left, I start saving it.
Last edited by vladislaoapp on Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
vladislaoapp
Teardrop Inspector

Postby lfhoward » Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:40 pm

vladislaoapp wrote:An 11-pound propane tank is a great volume to spend about two weeks in a trailer if you are alone. although it all depends on how often you heat the water for coffee or tea.

This is true. I have an 11 lb horizontal tank (from a WV Vanagon Westfalia camper). I filled it last spring, camped several weeks in the summer, as well as last fall. I use propane for cooking, heating shower water, and for the Propex heater. The VW tank is currently sitting at 40% after almost a year! I typically fill up my propane tank at Tractor Supply, U-Haul, or at propane & heating oil dealers. Topping it off is not a problem, and is super cheap compared to exchanging a grill tank at a big box store. (I refill my 20 lb grill tanks too while I'm at it.) I then refill some 1 lb Flame King refillable cylinders to use for my Coleman lantern & little buddy heater (outdoor use) from the 20 lb grill cylinders using an adaptor. The Flame King 1-pounders are DOT approved and save tons of money compared to the green throw away tanks.

My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby troubleScottie » Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:19 am

Refilling it is very much possible and cheaper. As others have said, there are many vendors. Around here, UHaul and the rental companies do it. The rentals places -- yard , farm , warehouse rent equipment often powered by propane. Maybe not the most common thing in the east, but definitely more likely in the midwest and west. The nice thing is you are are paying for what they put in. If the guy only fills it part way, you only pay that part.

It is hard to completely empty the tank and apparently you only get 3/4 of a tank. You lose at both ends. Not the best deal. There is the general convenience of almost any grocery store, Target or Walmart having them, often 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Also there are alternative for the 20# tanks. Obviously 1#, 5#, 11# and 30# metal tanks. There are fiberglass ones which are lighter, typically 17#.

There are features for filling other tanks eg 1 lb tanks from larger tanks. Flame King makes a legal refillable 1 lb tank and refilling kit to fill them from a 20# tank. Yet another way to go if you do not have the room for a bigger tank on your trailer.

The high pressure liquid propane tanks can be harder to fill eg vanagon tank. Technically no different than a 20# tank. But some vendors balk at filling them due to legal/safety reasons. Most likely due to be overly cautious.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion