Evaporative cooler for teardrop camper

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Evaporative cooler for teardrop camper

Postby 2rabbits_ td » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:38 am

Five gallon bucket evaporative cooler (swamp cooler) , construction as per numerous videos on YouTube, adapted for my non air conditioned teardrop camper, using my existing vent fan. Plastic tote completely covers my 14 inch vent on the teardrop roof. About 50 cfm airflow. Since the teardrop camper must remain ventilated at all times, added humidity is minimal, and can be powered by my 100 watt solar panel or 12v battery. Works best in climate with low humidity, but will still have some effects at humidity up to 50-60 percent . Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2rabbits_ td
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Evaporative cooler for teardrop camper

Postby troubleScottie » Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:34 am

Not sure about your specific setup. I had experience with swamp coolers while living in Utah.

Personally, I found them really to be wet, especially when standing right under the main vent.

They work on the principle of turning over large volumes of air -- a whole house every hour or 2 and low humidity and high temperatures.

"To answer this, we always use the swamp cooler temperature humidity chart. It will essentially tell us at what temperature and humidity it’s too humid to effectively use an evaporative cooler.

Before we check out the evap cooler chart (and, even more importantly, explain how to use it), let’s have two things in mind:

Evaporative coolers are most effective in high temperature (85°F or more) and lower humidity (below 50% relative humidity) situations.
Evaporative coolers are least effective in lower temperature (below 75°F) and high humidity (above 60% relative humidity) situations.

The swamp cooler humidity chart spans from 75°F to 125°F temperature and from 2% to 80% relative humidity levels. It tells you at which temperatures and moisture levels using an evaporative cooler is effective. What is more, it tells you how many degrees does a swamp cooler lower. For HVAC professionals: This is based on the Mollier diagram and uses dry-bulb and wet-bulb temperatures for a direct evaporative cooler process." from the net.

Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby Modstock » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:45 am

Most of my neighbors that switched to central air saw it was very expensive. Now installed window mount swamp coolers. Of course the Utah dry desert these do well.

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby JasenC » Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:47 pm

Those don't do much up here, but still give us some details, I always like to see what people have designed and built.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby hankaye » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:40 am

Howdy All;

Here's a commercial one that fits in a standard 14x14 fan hole.
I have no dog in the hunt just know a few folks that have them and
no complaints.

https://www.turbokool.net/Default.asp

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:25 am

hankaye wrote:Howdy All;

no complaints.

hank

Bit pricey! (Costs more than our shore power operated AC.) But a neat idea. We could put this in to replace our fan and use it in the Southwest when camping in the heat without shore power.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby JasenC » Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:34 pm

hankaye wrote:Howdy All;

no complaints.

hank

Wow.

I've do a swamp cooler now and then out of desperation, but it's just a large casserole dish with ice and water in front of the 20" box fan.

This year I upgraded to 20" industrial high velocity fans. Low is about as loud as a box fan on high and they move more air, on high they move more than 4500 CFM, about twice that of a box fan. So far this year it hasn't been as sweltering hot in the house.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Return to General Discussion