dumb axle location question

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

dumb axle location question

Postby fredo » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:19 am

so if you stick to the 40/60 split to locate your axle, how does that apply to a torsion axle where your trailing spindle is actually several inches away from where your mount is? (I'm thinking the half axle flexride) does this make a difference in handling?
fredo
Teardrop Inspector

Re: dumb axle location question

Postby tony.latham » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:49 am

fredo wrote:so if you stick to the 40/60 split to locate your axle, how does that apply to a torsion axle where your trailing spindle is actually several inches away from where your mount is? (I'm thinking the half axle flexride) does this make a difference in handling?

Put the axle stubs at that point. Those are the actual axles.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby fredo » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:52 pm

so I was inquiring about the weight of the flexiride I wanted to buy and I asked the guy from certain axle seller and he said the mounting plate/torsion box was where I needed to base my weight loading on. hmmmm
fredo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:22 pm

fredo wrote:so I was inquiring about the weight of the flexiride I wanted to buy and I asked the guy from certain axle seller and he said the mounting plate/torsion box was where I needed to base my weight loading on. hmmmm

Six bits says he's never built a trailer. The pivot is where the axle is. Which as I said, is the stub.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:01 pm

Tony is right. The trailing arm pivots around the suspension pivot point, but the trailer load (i.e weight balance point) pivots, or teeters around the axle stub (or very nearly... with just a few inches of suspension travel and the dwell point of a nearly horizontal trailing arm, the shift in relative centroids from suspension compression or extension isn't worth mentioning... same for a leaf spring style suspension that pivots around the front spring eye).
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion