Anyone Know Anything About Jeeps?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Anyone Know Anything About Jeeps?

Postby Dahlia47 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:22 pm

I have been looking for a 4wd for a while. I found a jeep. It has a short wheel base. I will be using it to get to my dads place on the mountain. No joke, you need a 4wd to get up there. I will be using bit for some adventures. The beach. We have gotten stuck on the beach. No fun! And some places at the state and national parks require a 4wd. We will also be moving to a place that snows! Many reasons for me to get one. My trade in value is about $12500. The jeep I found has 74000 miles on it. A wench, tow package, fancy radio, back up camera, flood lights. I found one spot of rust on a door. No ac. There is a spot to add the ac. 4wd, standard transmission. It's 1997. I did test drive it. It drove great. I also got to use the 4wd on a small hill. No problems. No leaks either.
He wants my trade plus $1000. Do u think this is fair? I second guess all my purchases. It kills me sometimes.
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Re: Anyone Know Anything About Jeeps?

Postby GPW » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:04 am

Have you looked up the Blue Book value of the Jeep ...??? 74000 miles can be a lot of it was roughly used . Best have a mechanic go over it to check for abuse !!! ... Parts are EXPENSIVE these days ... Major mechanical repairs can be Very expensive ... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:09 am

Where I come from in the Midwest, that is a high price. But different parts of the country have a variety of prices. Low miles and little rust is a plus. If this has the little 4 cyl, I would pass.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Onajourney » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:06 am

I have a 2007 Wrangler and that price is high. Keep in mind they are in great demand now so maybe that's a factor. Tow capacity is probably 2000lbs. If it were me, I'd sell your vehicle resale then take the cash and shop for a Jeep. He is under paying on your car and over charging for the Jeep IMO.
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby Dahlia47 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:51 am

They are way over priced right now. The blue book value is just under $10000. I've asked him to go down. Lets see how far down he's willing to go.
I had one jeep owner tell me it was the extras that brought the price up.
I also contacted the car guys on the radio, they said at the most even trade.
I'm thinking its just too high.
Sad thing is....this is the nicest one I've seen this age.

I'm crossing my fingers toes and eyes!
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Postby Dan242 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:19 pm

manual trans is a plus. Which motor does it have? If the straight six, that's a plus too. I'm not sure what that era of Jeeps came with. If it has good records (regular oil changes, scheduled maintenance done) and a mechanic gives it good bill of health, consider it. I'd see about selling your vehicle outright. Even see if Carmax gives you a value. Cash always carries more weight than a trade.
Dan242
Teardrop Master

Postby JasenC » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:23 pm

Where are you? that makes a difference.
It would need to be one pretty Wrangler, our 98 TJ 4.0L 5 spd with a flip front soft top on 31" BFGs and Eaton diffs isn't worth that much around the Seattle area.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby lfhoward » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:55 pm

I have been really happy with my Jeep Liberty, which I have owned since 2011. I now have 196,000 miles on it and still going strong. Liberties depreciate a lot faster than Wranglers, so you can find lots of used options at great prices for the same low mileage. It has the exact same locking 4WD system as the Wrangler you’re looking at (command trac) or a full time all wheel drive option (select trac) is available too. Both 4WD systems have low range for crawling over obstacles or out of snowbanks. The ride is much quieter, you can fit more gear in the back, and it is a comfortable road trip vehicle. AND it can tow 5000 lbs with the tow package (2000 lbs without one). Gas mileage would be similar to a Wrangler, or maybe a tiny bit better (which is not saying much, lol). About 21 on the highway, 15 city.

P.S., Slim Potatohead, who boondocks with his trailer on YouTube, has had 2 Jeep Liberties (still has one). Check out his videos for some Jeep visuals. Slim has never gotten stuck, even when he drove to the Arctic Circle in Canada.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rjgimp » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:10 pm

JEEP = Just Empty Every Pocket. Not a great deal more you need to know. :lol: :lol:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby Modstock » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:51 am

Walk away. Find a jeep privately owned. Never deal with a salesman.

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MtnDon » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:23 pm

Manual transmission.... Do you want a manual transmission? An automatic has many advantages in a 4WD. It just needs a good oil cooler. Personally I would never be happy again with a manual transmission in a 4WD that I drove places where 4WD was needed. It is much easier to start moving from a standstill on slopes or rough terrain with an automatic. You use the throttle and the brake together and can finesse your way over or around obstacles. I swapped my first automatic into my CJ in 1985 and have never had a manual since.

Pretty much any popular vehicle carries a higher price at present so that is just something one needs to swallow. OTOH we sold a 6 year old Honda Civic for only $6K less than we paid for it new in 2016. But did pay an inflated price on the replacement so it was really a wash.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:40 pm

MtnDon is right. Go for an automatic transmission. I traded in my manual tranny truck right after I was on a hill and someone came up, almost bumping my bumper at a stop light. I couldn't imagine having this happen when I was towing a trailer.

I love my 2009 Jeep Liberty. It puts up with a lot from me. I've had it 12 years and it's been a good vehicle... still is. Jeeps have been know to last more than 25 years.

Just remember, whatever 4WD you purchase, drive with it in 4WD gear at least once a month, even if you're driving in the city. That will keep the gears oiled. Take care of it and it'll take care of you. Also, if you can, try to get one with a tow package. (Think tranny cooler.) That saved my hide on a very bad mountainside road during the last breath of daylight once. Best Wishes!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:05 pm

We saw a Jeep in Traffic today with the following sticker.
"JEEP...BECAUSE TERRORISTS DRIVE TOYOTAS"
Don't own either but thought it was humorous.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Toplessartist » Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:09 pm

I don't think you said which type of Jeep you were considering, except for saying it has a short wheel base, so I conclude it's a Wrangler. I have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee with that bullet proof 4.0 and it is a great vehicle (I have had 9 Jeeps including 3 Wranglers, 3 Grand Cherokees, 2 Cherokees, and a Commander) and I love the carrying capacity of my GC as well as the rounded design (more so than the boxy are recent models). It would be a more stable platform for towing than the Wrangler for several reasons, but the most significant is wind factor!! That short wheel base is a potential over-correction nightmare with a side wind buffeting situation (First hand knowledge and new shorts).
Toplessartist
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Philip » Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:27 am

The few options you listed it has are just lipstick someone added. With no limited slips or selectable lockers in the axles. It's still a 2WD truck. Under power it will spin the left front tire and the right rear tire. A wench is used when those two spinning tires get you into trouble.

In my experience I have seen Jeeps way overrated. I have found Jeeps parts more expensive to buy. You take a Jeep into a commercial shop. It costs more for repairs than a truck of the same year that is $x$. Remember short wheelbase and narrow wheel track has rollover issues for the inexperienced driver. Fast high-speed lane changes can be the same issue.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Next

Return to General Discussion