Why not fiberglass water tanks

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Why not fiberglass water tanks

Postby saywhatthat » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:54 pm

At one of the glass shops I am Partners. There making some very large water tanks for somebody's yacht. Out of glass.
What be wrong with a glass foam tank it it would have a glass outside wall insulation and glass interior wall. food grade gel-coat
To me can be any shape. cost less keep water cooler , easy to repair and not freeze
the tank they store their gelcoat in and acetone in and uses a small Chiller to circulate water it at least 20 years old abuse 5 gallon pails hitting the top of it. they keep it at 40 degrees . make gel-coat longer
Il suffit de le faire
fast, cheap, fiberglass/ foam stressed skin panels
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73945

Build 4.5 by 8' using Trailtop fiberglass Components
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70729
saywhatthat
500 Club

Re: Why not fiberglass water tanks

Postby Wrecit » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:19 am

Fiberglass tanks are top notch. Unfortunately compared to a blown plastic tank the fiberglass price is top notch also. Would be interesting to see what your company can come up with for a price line on say a 40 gallon 8 to 10 inch high by 15 inch wide tank (or 2 20 gallons) to compare to plastic market
You hide your conversion and call it stealth. I put mine out in the open and give it a beer.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74635
Wrecit
Teardrop Master

Re: Why not fiberglass water tanks

Postby KCStudly » Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:01 pm

Other than the cost difference, I think the biggest issues would be sanitation and longevity. In "lively" installations, such as campers and boats, a certain amount of flexibility is useful. I think the rotary molded soft plastic tanks have an advantage here. Any chipping off or cracking in the gel coating on FG tank would provide a place for bacteria to take hold. Not saying that a quality tank would necessarily have this issue, but it would be a possibility. Whereas a rotary molded tank, or custom stainless steel tank that was properly purge welded and activated, would not be as susceptible. Not sure how gel coat holds up to mild bleach solutions.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion