Vintage trailer connectors

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Vintage trailer connectors

Postby twkundrat » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:07 pm

I'm building a teardrop trailer as if it was built in the late 30's or early 40's and I tend to obsess over the small details. I've been having trouble finding much information on early trailer light wiring connectors. I'll probably end up going with a round 5 or 6 pole connector but I was wondering if anyone has any pictures of early period correct connectors. Thanks
twkundrat
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Vintage trailer connectors

Postby mountainminded » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:42 pm

I have more than a thousand images of vintage (1947) Kit Kamper teardrops that I’ve collected over the years. I checked these for any evidence of a vintage style connection but all of the trailers that are still usable have been updated with a splice to a four flat plug. I’m curious how you will use the extra 1-2 contacts provided by a 5 or 6 contact connector on your vintage reproduction?
Cheers,
-Rob

Rob Walker, Trailers4Two Bend Oregon
mountainminded
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Vintage trailer connectors

Postby twkundrat » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:22 pm

Hi Rob, I was planning on running auxiliary power from a second battery in my truck bed through the 5th pin. I don't have a need for a 6th but I see more old 6 pole connectors on ebay than 5. I'd like to run the dome lights and 12v outlets off of the second battery to reduce the chance of draining the truck battery if something is accidentally left on.
-Tim
twkundrat
Teardrop Inspector

Return to General Discussion