Gotta Fix the Cat

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Gotta Fix the Cat

Postby MickinOz » Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:00 pm

No, not a feline. Since the tragic demise of my old mate Chainsaw, we don't have a cat of the 4 legged variety.
This cat that requires fixing is a sweet little 14 foot centre console power catamaran with twin 25 Mercuries.
It's a beaut little boat, I harbour fond ambitions of one day actually launching it and using it.
:lol:
So far I have:

Cleaned up the incredibly awful wiring in the console. Not all new, but I am now confident the lights, radios, bilge pumps, and echo sounders will work.
(Yes, two of everything!) Had a test conversation with the local State Emergency Service on each radio the other day. All clear on both VHF and 27 MHz. So, pleased with that.

Added a 105 amp hour deep cycle battery. The motors do not have electric start, so no charging coils either, but I think this will run the electrics long enough for my fishing trips.

Figured out the engines: how the fiddly tilt and shallow water drive mechanisms work, checked gearbox oils, how to start the engines with that weird primer/fast idle knob.
Once you know, they start really easy. Nice quiet powerheads, no rattles. One gearbox had slightly milky oil in it. Since the fibre washers on the drain and fill plugs fell apart when I took them out, I decided to just replace with the correct mercury part and refill with clean oil. I'll do a trip or two like that and see if its cured, before I pull the box apart to change seals,

Now, I am looking at the screw up in the bilges. A previous owner used too long screws to mount one pump, the mug.
So they came out through the transom. For the test run, I smeared silicone over the protruding screws. At least he stopped after messing up the first one.
Now I want to fill the holes properly. One thing I learned over the years - epoxy sticks very well to old cured polyester resin fibreglass, possibly even better than new polyester resin.
I used to have International Epifill two part epoxy putty for this application, but the locals don't have it anymore.

My local choices are:
JB Weld marine weld in syringe - cures white, no steel reinforcing, 3200 psi
JB Weld marine weld in the tubes - cures dark grey, steel reinforcing, 3960 psi

This will be a saltwater environment, and will be submerged when I'm using the boat.
Does anyone have prior experience? Is it a suitable gelcoat repair filler? Would the steel reinforcing be a corrosion issue in saltwater.
JB Weld USA didn't answer my enquiry.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Re: Gotta Fix the Cat

Postby rjgimp » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:32 am

MickinOz wrote:JB Weld USA didn't answer my enquiry.

Perhaps there was a language barrier. Did you translate into American for them? :R
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Return to General Discussion