Rerouting Propane Line

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Rerouting Propane Line

Postby Capebuild » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:57 am

Currently my propane line feeds only our Partner Stove which is located in the galley. I need to have it on the cabin's exterior and it connects with the stove from the stove's left side. The downside of this is the galley hatch cannot be closed while having the stove connected to the propane line. I'm looking into getting the stove's inlet revised to be on its right side so I can reroute the propane line on the galley's interior, allowing the galley hatch to be closed without needing to disconnect.

I see 2 ways of doing this, 1) to route the line down the side of the cabin, running it under the cabin and coming through the floor to connect to the stove and 2) going through the cabin's exterior wall and mating with the stove (this way it's much more direct and much less propane hose).

Anyone see any advantages/disadvantages approaching this revise (one way over other)?

Thanks.

John
Attachments
IMG_7083 Medium.jpeg
IMG_7083 Medium.jpeg (113.87 KiB) Viewed 360 times
IMG_7227 Medium.jpeg
IMG_7227 Medium.jpeg (106.93 KiB) Viewed 360 times
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Re: Rerouting Propane Line

Postby mountainminded » Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:16 am

Before you drill any holes keep in mind that the Partner Stove requires a High Pressure regulator and a hose with a proprietary fitting on the end. That hose is used and sold only by Partner Stove. Common 3/8” flare type LP gas hose and standard low pressure regulators will not work (according to Partner Stove). Will they also be supplying your new gas line?
Cheers,
-Rob

Rob Walker, Trailers4Two Bend Oregon
mountainminded
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Capebuild » Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:15 pm

Thanks, Rob. Yes, I'm aware of the particular hose/regulator used with the Partner Stove. I would intend on using the same (original) hose as is currently used, just need to route it to the stove in one of the 2 ways described in men original post... and wondering if there's any input on which might be the best way to do it.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby mountainminded » Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:19 pm

I’m trying to envision how the short hose in your image could be routed from your side mounted tank,through the floor and back up to your stove... Perhaps it’s longer than it looks!
Cheers,
-Rob

Rob Walker, Trailers4Two Bend Oregon
mountainminded
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TCJ » Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm

John,
I'm a big fan of keeping things simple, so my first reaction is: why do you want to have the stove permanently connected to the propane hose? We too have a Partner with an external propane tank, and we simply connect the hose on both ends when we want to use it. I suppose you can imagine a scenario where you pull off the side of the road, lift the hatch, slide out the Partner and light it without having to connect the hose, and that would indeed be easier . . . but it's really not so onerous to attach the hose. And that always leaves the propane hose stored safely in the tongue box or the heater itself.

If you do decide to route the propane hose into the cabin, I'd think it would be easier and more direct to go in through the side;. I did this on my teardrop for the Propex heater connection, and used this fitting: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D6NZLXF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I had a propane hose custom made for the permanent interior run from the fitting to the Propex.

My last thought is that if you want us to comment thoughtfully about your propane connection, you're really going to have to crop or blur out those beautiful curved cabinet fronts, because it's hard to focus on anything else while they're in the picture.
Tom
TCJ
Teardrop Builder

Postby Onajourney » Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:03 pm

TCJ wrote:My last thought is that if you want us to comment thoughtfully about your propane connection, you're really going to have to crop or blur out those beautiful curved cabinet fronts, because it's hard to focus on anything else while they're in the picture.
Tom

Exactly what I was thinking. I don't remember John going over this in his Build Journal. I bent some poplar a few years ago and it was not easy.
Chris
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby pchast » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:02 pm

I wonder about the possible safety hazard of leaving a high pressure hose connected
during your trips. :thinking:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:15 pm

TCJ wrote:My last thought is that if you want us to comment thoughtfully about your propane connection, you're really going to have to crop or blur out those beautiful curved cabinet fronts, because it's hard to focus on anything else while they're in the picture.
Tom

:) , Thanks!

pchast wrote:I wonder about the possible safety hazard of leaving a high pressure hose connected
during your trips.

I usually purge the line after using the stove, especially when on the road traveling.

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:22 pm

I wonder about the possible safety hazard of leaving a high pressure hose connected
during your trips. :thinking:

I plumb ours the way John is hoping to achieve. The Partner's "high pressure" regulator is 27 PSI, so in the world of pressure, it's not much. Yes, it's a lot more than a 11" WC regulator. We turn the tank off while towing.

It's nice to pull the stove out and light a burner. Easy-peasy. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:51 am

We did ours similar to a house installation. There's a 1/2" black pipe running from the tongue & bottle in front to the galley floor. The (high pressure) regulator is at the tank with the tank's shut-off valve, then there's a shut-off valve in the galley as well, not really necessary but it's another point to stop the gas flow. I empty the line after each use, to make sure there's no gas pressure in the galley area when running on the road. We have had no problems with this setup & it works well enough.

Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby twisted lines » Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:18 am

Floor would sure be easier to plug, or fill later.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lfhoward » Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:39 am

Through the floor works fine. It’s drilling that first hole that is the hard part.

My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to General Discussion