Camping and Short Wave

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Camping and Short Wave

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:29 pm

In my case I have an SDR receiver and a PL 330 SW receiver and our teardrop has an all-aluminum frame that will act as something of a Faraday cage. Not a problem as I have a F type connection through the side wall for the TV antenna.
The question What kind of antenna to use, I have a 10’ mast that is used for both TV and Cell antennas or a wire tossed over a branch, when there are such.
Compactness (it is a teardrop), can be strung or put on the mast.

Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Re: Camping and Short Wave

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:54 pm

I usually used the "random length" long wire when I was listening to shortwave in the 80's. Of course, many amateurs and short wave enthusiasts make a hobby out of building various types of antennas, but the long wire is probably the most portable and convenient for camping. (The systems I worked with professionally in the Air Force usually used log-periodic, but those are way too big for camping.)

BTW, what is on shortwave these nights? I sort of gave it up by the mid-90's when it tended towards mostly religious broadcasting. Gone was the silliness of Radio Moscow, and with the interwebs one could read the BBC news as easily as listen...

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Re: Camping and Short Wave

Postby MickinOz » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:04 pm

I dunno what wavelength he was on but my mate, who is a very keen ham radio operator and licensed TV broadcaster, assures me he has exchanged contact cards with Joe Walsh.
Yes, the one that ran for president and occasionally played in some band somewhere. :lol:
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Return to General Discussion