Have a different Question

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Have a different Question

Postby alchemist77 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:43 am

Hey all,
I am shopping for a possible trailer / place to sleep. In my price range I am running across campers made from sheets of plywood ,like a square back, but they are simply screwed together with but joints covered by angle aluminum. Most of them leak, have winterizing issues and are either sleepers, or designed for folks under5'10". The last 2 I looked at with this technique are going to need reconstruction at some point. They have incredible water damage and the paint is peeling. While I am hesitant to purchase someone else headache, could and should they be rebuilt or would I be better off building something new?

I think I already know the answer to the question of purchasing a used one. I'm just not a very good carpenter. With an radial saw I get curved lines.

So my Idea is to take stock pieces of plywood, 3/4 make lap joins sealed with caulk, screw together with aluminum angle putting caulk under the angle. Basically building a speaker cabinet. I will not forget to put screw blocks to hold the sides together. Make doors from the sides and maybe extend the back making room for a galley. The biggest problem is I am 6'6" and need the room for a queen size bed, just in case the missus wants to join. So extend the classic 5X8 by a foot, room for a queen size bed plus galley.

What do you folks think and why?
David Campbell
KF7SFU
RaDAR
SOTA
alchemist77
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Have a different Question

Postby tony.latham » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:31 am

could and should they be rebuilt...

Walk away from them.

But as far as your Plan B you're proposing, I see novices trying to invent better building methods from time to time. You'll never know if an experimental method will work until it hits the road for a season or two. Or sits in the weather. Your project will likely end up in the same category as those leaky DIY boxes you've looked at.

I suggest you use standard camper construction methods instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.

You might look at the Generic Benroy plan in the Design Resources drop-down at the top of the page.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Re: Have a different Question

Postby Modstock » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:53 pm

Maybe take a look into the cargo trailer conversion section.

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to General Discussion