Accessing Internet While on the Road

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Accessing Internet While on the Road

Postby Capebuild » Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:09 pm

During our most recent travels one issue we wanted to investigate was having an alternate way to access the internet when we camped in areas with spotty reception. I realize this question has come up before but I'm thinking technologies may have changed...... so asking again. Does anyone have suggestions on reliable systems to investigate, preferably ones that don't require a monthly fee (but maybe paying a monthly fee is inevitable).
Thanks.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Re: Accessing Internet While on the Road

Postby swoody126 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:22 pm

John, i just use the wi-fi hot spot on my i-phone when i'm in remote spots

many RV parks have service included

many rest stops along the highways n byways have free wi-fi(each state is different)

many of the bigger truck stops offer wi-fi by subscription

i have found free wi-fi in public library parking lots

just rememberize ... public wi-fi can and frequently does open you up to being hacked

BON CHANCE

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby philpom » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:40 pm

I think beyond looking for free hotspots as mentioned above you are locked in to a cell phone hot spot or dedicated hotspot. I find Verizon has the best coverage out and away from the busy population hubs of life. You can consider a basic plan that keeps it low month to month but for example on Verizon I can bump it up for 1 month and then bring it back down for the months after, only to add more data (pay more) the months I need it so I avoid overage fees.
philpom
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:43 pm

For us, it's just cell service but when that evaporates, we use our InReach Mini for texting and weather forecasts. $12 per month.

Does that count?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:20 am

Starlink.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:48 am

We use our phones as hot spots when necessary..... but I'm referring more to locations where there is little to no service, like having 1 or zero bars or the dreaded "no service" notification.

tony.latham wrote:we use our InReach Mini for texting and weather forecasts. $12 per month.

I'll have to look that up, not familiar with it.... but I think what we're after is more of a satellite connection device. Starlink might be a solution. I had done some research on it a while back (have forgotten what I found out).... so just revisiting all this.
Thanks for the suggestions..... will keep looking and report back.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:28 pm

I'll have to look that up, not familiar with it....

You text via your contacts via your phone through a Bluetooth connection. (Or hit the SOS button, and then all hell comes at you.) But that's about all you can do with them. Certainly, no Googling or using other apps.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:58 pm

Capebuild wrote:... or the dreaded "no service" notification.

So I recognize the assumption for this thread is that you want internet service, but it seems worth pointing out "no service" is hardly dreaded when we camp. Sure, it's important for most of us that our families can reach us in emergencies. (Although what Shelly's sisters consider an emergency may, or may not, constitute one as far as I'm concerned.) Tony's device handles that situation.

As far as news, etc., it turns out it happens whether or not we hear about it right away, and seldom has an immediate effect. (Here I was, sitting at home, with full internet coverage, and yet President Biden never called to ask my views on shooting down that Chinese balloon, for some reason.)

As far as making camping reservations ahead of time, or checking on things we want to see that day, we can work around by stopping along the way, when we do have coverage.

In sum, except for the emergency notification, not being in touch with the world while camping seems a definite plus, not to be dreaded.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:46 pm

In the evening when we're curled up in our comfortable bedding we like to bounce around on the interweb. Sometimes we read but we also like to watch movies or scout out new trails /sites to explore. To us, not having that internet connection in a campground, especially if we're there for 2, 3 or more nights, can be a downer.

Tom, I think you know why the president didn't call you to ask your opinion about that balloon given your balloon history. Don't you think you might be the teeniest bit bias about shooting down balloons?
8)

John

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Onajourney » Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:23 pm

I'm a big map geek and do a bunch of route planing with Gaia Maps. My wife is a big TV/ movie fan. We download load maps, movies, etc for offline use. I personally love having no service which happens less and less here on the east coast.
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:35 pm

Capebuild wrote:Tom, I think you know why the president didn't call you to ask your opinion about that balloon given your balloon history. Don't you think you might be the teeniest bit bias about shooting down balloons?
8)

John

Absolutely true John. I wanted him to send me up with a hat pin. I'd've brought her down gently!

Tom :lol: :lol: :lol:
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby troubleScottie » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:49 am

For other purposes, I needed a hotspot.

I got a Netgear Nighthawk M1. It a G4 cell system. There is the M6 which is G5. It has wifi and a LAN port on it. I wanted the port to connect my computer and other devices to either directly or via a hub. I have some devices that do not do wifi, and I prefer the higher speed of wire. One can add an external cellular antenna.

Using Verizon, the service is based on # GBytes per month. The limit is download only. When that number is reached, your service slows but does continue. Not sure how much slower. I believe you can cancel the service and reinstate.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:35 am

...and do a bunch of route planing with Gaia Maps.

Ain't that a great app? I've got waypoints on my version, all over the west showing where we've camped (most with a photo) and dozens of Anasazi ruins we've found in the southwest.

:thumbsup: :applause: :thumbs-up:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby JuneBug » Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:46 am

Friends who work remotely from places with no internet, no cell, no nothing use StarLink.
Another friend used something similar, I think via Verizon, but not sure. Both of those systems were very reliable.

I just googled: "Starlink RV internet [the cheapest of the three StarLink plans] costs $135 per month with an up-front $599 equipment fee." :o

Slightly off topic, kind of related: NEW MOTOROLA DEFY SATELLITE LINK TURNS YOUR SMARTPHONE INTO A SATELLITE COMMUNICATOR [https://bikepacking.com/news/motorola-defy-satellite-link/]
The new Motorola Defy Satellite Link is about the size of a credit card, weighs just 70 grams, and turns your smartphone into a two-way communication device when traveling outside of cellular service.

"The new Motorola Defy Satellite Link is a satellite communicator that connects via Bluetooth to your Android or iOS smartphone, providing two-way communication when traveling outside of cellular service. It’s designed to be rugged and waterproof, weighs just 70 grams (2.5 ounces), and has a 600mAh battery that’s good enough for “multiple days of use.” The best part is that the device costs just $99 and subscription plans start at $4.99 per month. It appears to be a simple device, with no LCD screen and just a few functions that include an SOS button and check-in/track option.

The Defy Satellite Link is supposed to be available this April, and you can sign up here [https://motorolarugged.com/en-gb/motorola-defy-satellite-link/] to learn more about preorder details."
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:43 am

"The new Motorola Defy Satellite Link is a satellite communicator that connects via Bluetooth to your Android or iOS smartphone..."

That's why we carry our InReach. It does the same and more...if you push the SOS button, Garmin has an amazing search and rescue coordination center that gets the world rolling your way.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to General Discussion