first trip debrief

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

first trip debrief

Postby philpom » Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:57 pm

We finally took our tiny camper out for the maiden voyage, a 2 night venture to a state park only about 30 minutes from home. The weather was great for a trial run, 26f - 28f at night and 50's during the day. Rain on our way out to the site.

Initial observations

-Camper tracked well loaded
-No water intrusion from the rain fall or road spray (wondered about this because I never got around to sealing under the door)
-The way we used the camper for 2 days the 50AH of usable battery we have should last for 3-5 days. I recharged to full on the final day on a 2 amp trickle for a few hours only.
-We stayed very warm and even turned the heat down at night to 65f
-It was quiet inside
-We left the top vent fully closed and 1/4" crack in each window was enough to "keep us breathing"

The primary point of the trip was to observe how we would use it and what small things (and possibly big things) we would do to it next.

-hooks, hangers, cargo nets galore
While we had places on shelves for all our stuff and could tuck out coldware under the lower shelf at the foot of our bed more options are desirable. Our shoes worked well on the top shelf but if they got really dirty or wet we need another option. I really want folding cup holders at the left and right of the bed! Hooks, hangers, containers etc here we come.
-small space heater worked extremely well, we used a small 500 watt (low) 800 watt (hi) heater with a thermostat and even when it was on low and it was 30 outside it easily cycled on and off and kept it 70 inside (tested it to 80 and that was also just fine) it's a keeper.

The only condensation I found was on the glass and that was fantastic since I have read so many times here that no insulation in the walls means you'll need a towel to wipe the walls dry. I do have floor and ceiling insulation. 1 exception to this, when packing up we put the bed in sofa mode to make room in the camper for coolers and such and the floor under the bed had moisture on it. This baffled me at first since there is nearly 2" of insulation in the floor (1.5" of rigid pink foam board and .5" of EV foam flooring). Then it came to me (I think), remember earlier I said I hadn't gotten around to sealing under the door? I think cold air came under the door and under the mattress over the EV and formed condensation. An easy fix with a bead of black silicone on the outside and press-fit foam insulation under the door gap from the inside. Any additional insight on this topic would be greatly appreciated but this is all I came up with, there was no moisture under the flooring.

This is what the flooring looks like, it's super nice on the knees :) and easy to clean.

Here are a few photos of the camp:

Thanks for checking it out!

Cheers
philpom
Teardrop Master

Re: first trip debrief

Postby Graniterich » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:52 pm

The power for the heater was the 50ah battery?

Sent from my KFTRWI using Tapatalk
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby philpom » Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:16 pm

Graniterich wrote:The power for the heater was the 50ah battery?

Sent from my KFTRWI using Tapatalk

Oops, I wasn't clear enough! The heater and string lights ran off of the available shore power at this site so the battery was only used for the porch light, interior lighting and for charging devices on this trip. We had our young children with us and our oldest granddaughter for 1 night so shore power was mandatory for their electric blankets since they slept in a tent.

If we had been without shore power I have a small inverter generator we would have used for the heaters and blankets. Kinder weather would allow us to go primitive!
philpom
Teardrop Master

Postby Onajourney » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:54 am

Congrats on your first trip! Sounds like it went flawlessly and you enjoyed yourselves.
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby noseoil » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:58 am

Sound like a good time & a fun trial for the camper!
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby philpom » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:11 pm

Onajourney wrote:Congrats on your first trip! Sounds like it went flawlessly and you enjoyed yourselves.

Technically is was pretty close to flawless, I made notes on what we need to focus on next for the camper, trunk and door catches and lots of little changes as far as storage inside goes. Of course that was secondary to having fun on this trip.
philpom
Teardrop Master

Postby pchast » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:37 pm

Glad you had a good trip. :thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby philpom » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:07 pm

noseoil wrote:Sound like a good time & a fun trial for the camper!

It was a good time and a fantastic trial trip, we experienced some extremes and that allowed me to gather some great data.... We had a blast and more important, our daughter-in-law whom has never been camping came to visit when they dropped off our granddaughter decided she could try some camping. Said it wasn't what she thought it was!

You have a very nice camper by the way.
philpom
Teardrop Master

Postby philpom » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:08 pm

pchast wrote:Glad you had a good trip. :thumbsup:

Thank you, it was all on the plus side. :)
philpom
Teardrop Master

Postby Dahlia47 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:42 am

Very Nice!!! Glad you all had fun!
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Postby Indiana Rambler » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:50 pm

It’s always a good feeling after that initial outing to know your camper is fit for survival. And, also fun to come up with ideas to better your next camping experience. Glad you had a successful trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indiana Rambler
Teardrop Master

Postby bdosborn » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:56 pm

All the planning and hard work really paid off. Good job!
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion