Mini Split for Pop Up?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Mini Split for Pop Up?

Postby tem3000 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:29 pm

Hi all, please try not to laugh. I love how quiet mini splits are and am pondering buying a pop up camper. Is there some creative or ingenious way to incorporate a mini split into a pop up renovation?

The easiest, I imagine, would be to put the compressor on the tongue, then treat the blower similarly to an under bench a/c unit.

But here's the please don't laugh part. If I could find a way to attach the blower to the roof (mounted horizontally on the ceiling? attached vertically to something firm mounted on the interior?), would a flexible hose from the compressor on the tongue even be an option?

As you can tell, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing thus far, but if people have advice or out-of-the-box suggestions, I'd be grateful!
--------------------------------------------
Don't believe everything you think.
tem3000
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Mini Split for Pop Up?

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:49 pm

What is a mini split?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GTS225 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:42 am

The immediate issues I see are that they are 120 volt, so there's no boondocking with your camper.
Configurations of a mini-split won't lend themselves too well to what you're proposing. The compressor has to be mounted vertically, so laying it down on the roof is out. I could agree with your tongue mount, but then you need to find somewhere to put your LP tank(s). I suppose you could rear mount it on the bumper.
Just seems to me to be overkill for such a small space.

A mini-split is a heating and AC unit that is in two pieces. The compressor and condensor mounts outside, similar to a central A/C unit, and the evaporator and fan mounts inside, many times high up on a wall. Connection is just like a central A/C, with coolant lines between them, and a power cable controlled by the "head" unit indoors. Quite a convenient method for heating and A/C in a detached garage/shop. Uses electric only.....no gasses for fuel.

Roger
GTS225
The 300 Club

Postby tem3000 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:23 am

Thank you, that all makes sense, and I'm glad you pointed out the issue of tanks already being on the tongue. Hadn't thought of that.

I have a tendency to overcomplicate things and this is no exception. I long to return to camping but my husband had a brain injury and is now sensitive to noise. He can't take the sound most roof a/c's make. I was hoping this would be an alternative, but it looks like it's back to the drawing board! Thanks again.

PS Here's a page that shows some mini splits: https://www.alpinehomeair.com/categories/air-conditioning-cooling/ductless-mini-splits. You see them often in the tiny house world and people are starting to put small ones in larger campers, mounting the compressor on a rear bumper rack, then installing the evaporator/fan inside on the back wall.
tem3000
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bdosborn » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:36 am

Here's a roof mounted A/C that can run off your (really big) battery and is about the right size for a Teardrop, but hold on to your wallet $> :

Dometic RTX 2000 Air Conditioner

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:12 pm

S. Heisley wrote:What is a mini split?

A small AC unit with matched indoor/outdoor parts. The indoor unit has no ducts, so is usually in a cabinet high on the wall. They have no electric heat strips, so no heat unless it's a heat pump model.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:46 pm

The older style that are Box units (like a AC unit) would work, yet very much over-kill. You trying to heat or chill? Depending on how handy you are.. there is a neat way to chill. Especially if you're thinking Mini-split and possible size.

RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:39 pm

Sparksalot wrote:
S. Heisley wrote:What is a mini split?

A small AC unit with matched indoor/outdoor parts. The indoor unit has no ducts, so is usually in a cabinet high on the wall. They have no electric heat strips, so no heat unless it's a heat pump model.

Thanks!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:15 am

RJ Howell wrote:The older style that are Box units (like a AC unit) would work, yet very much over-kill. You trying to heat or chill? Depending on how handy you are.. there is a neat way to chill. Especially if you're thinking Mini-split and possible size.

This is an intriguing idea. The science seems sound enough. Wish I had more time to experiment. (Retirement is sooo busy!)

About as simple as the "swamp coolers" (evaporative coolers) we use here in the Southwest, but it might also work well in more humid areas. That is, assuming a simple radiator to transfer heat from the building or teardrop air to the circulating fluid.

Still, if it is that good, why isn't it being done already?

Wonder if the effective sky temperature in humid areas is the same as dry areas at infrared? My experience is with micro-wave and near infrared communications systems where the sky temperature can set the level of background noise on the system. Clouds and fog definitely affect things; not sure about humid air in general :thinking:

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby tem3000 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:35 am

That video is intriguing. I'm currently in Louisiana, arguably one of the most humid of the hot states. If I had the wherewithal to undertake a project like his, I could definitely do some field testing. You know I'm going to watch follow-up videos and go down an hours-long rabbit hole, right? It's tough to imagine how this would work in a pop-up, but if I think of some way that far outstrips my HVAC knowledge, I'll share!

(By the way, that Tech Ingredients guy/channel is awesome. If you're an audiophile, check out his foam speakers experiment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKIye4RZ-5k&t=6s That'll get your foamie juices flowing!)

Thanks to all, and remind me to take out a second mortgage to buy that domestic a/c. Yowza.
tem3000
Teardrop Inspector

Postby RJ Howell » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:07 am

Tom&Shelly wrote:
RJ Howell wrote:
This is an intriguing idea. The science seems sound enough. Wish I had more time to experiment. (Retirement is sooo busy!)

About as simple as the "swamp coolers" (evaporative coolers) we use here in the Southwest, but it might also work well in more humid areas. That is, assuming a simple radiator to transfer heat from the building or teardrop air to the circulating fluid.

Still, if it is that good, why isn't it being done already?

Wonder if the effective sky temperature in humid areas is the same as dry areas at infrared? My experience is with micro-wave and near infrared communications systems where the sky temperature can set the level of background noise on the system. Clouds and fog definitely affect things; not sure about humid air in general :thinking:

Tom

I've been following this guy for some time now and have done a couple build his way. Smart dude! This is more than the typical swamp cooler as it has the temp difference to dehumidify. His disclaimer is it will work 'better' in the Southwest than here in the Northeast (he's in Maine). I will do a small version as he speaks of to add to my mini-split. I'd like to see the opposite and create heat in a type like this.

Why is it not being done you ask? What makes you think it's not! Commercial systems (large HVAC) have painted surfaces.. now I wonder if I've seen this and not known myself! There's also working with the science.. it works or it don't.. even if no one else is doing it. He shows it works..

Anywho, back to building campers and travel!
Safe travels all!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:30 pm

I understand wanting quiet, but the condenser side of a mini split is almost as loud as a r/v air conditioner or window unit. Most pop-ups I’ve been have canvas side walls that don’t provide much thermal or noise insulation. So I don’t know what you’d gain with a mini-split.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Return to General Discussion