General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Build 2.0 started!

Postby RJ Howell » Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:05 am

RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Capebuild » Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:50 am

Just getting caught up with your new build. LOOKING GREAT!!!
:clapping hands:

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:40 pm

With 90% of the interior paneling done, I forgot to buy a couple divider strips.. and all the windows in, secure, weather tight and interior screen/shade installed. I like.

What I will be looking at is a way to improve these screen/shade units. They're cool, mind me here because this is what I do. I see something and figure how to improve. I think I'm losing 10% of viewable area. Depending on angle of view, maybe more. How will be my thoughts as we travel and work with them.
Easy to velcro screens.. Night blinds, hmm have to thin about that. They just seem overly bulky. I post a pic at some point of this.

Don't get me wrong here... double glazed, nicely gasketed, Good base trim to sandwich the window seal, I do like. All that and the price! I will buy again as I see the addition of maybe two more windows. This time maybe without the interior screen kit?

Seal peak at the paneling And the window trims.

Ran out of veneer for those upper cabs... Okay and the sink base.. I'll stop here with all else....
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:24 am

Had quite the scare as I wired the frig and tested it.. didn't start. :shock: Quickly tried to prove it by hooking up the 110AC, no joy.. Put it on the bench and opened her up to have a look see.. Inline fuse was blown. Whew! Replaced and running as it should!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Pmullen503 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:30 am

Really looks fantastic.

Remind me, is/will the exterior be painted? With what?
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:52 pm

Pmullen503 wrote:Really looks fantastic.

Remind me, is/will the exterior be painted? With what?

Yes it is and will be. It's not complete as the windows just went in..
Primer became an issue as to what this FG panel likes. BIN (@ $75 a gallon) sticks to everything, but I'm not paying that when I can make my own for a 1/3 of that cost. I used a BM bonding primer and the FG panel said no thank you. I went to Kilz and I'm back on track.

Now painting this stuff is strange in itself. If you hope to allow light to pass, don't paint it. I have not sampled a good way yet because it just seems to burn the paint. Of course since I treated and paint my steel skeleton black, it's absorbing heat. :? I need to get back up there and at least paint over where the steel is. Now I know this and would paint it reflective if done again.
If your painting over sealed/insulated walls or roof. Kilz (or make your own shellac base primer) and go for it!

Here's where I hope to experiment with this cooling paint. I basically have a solar box as a roof now. Over our beds I have it insulated, yet the balance of the space has an air gap between exterior & interior. If this cooling paint works, then I already have a cooling panel in play. :thinking:
Thought off season camping when you turn on the heat before you get up my cause an issue.. :thinking:

Yes, painted and will be. How and where is yet to be determined
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion