air condition solutions

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: air condition solutions

Postby fossilboy50 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:15 pm

So, it's been a while since I've logged on. My tear is in a state where I can use it, and I have with my children. So the tear is done, but it's not finished. But hey, it's a home-built, so it'll never be completely finished, right?

Anyway, the wife refuses to camp with me/us unless the tear has air conditioning. No problem! Most of the time I just want to camp with my boys, so no A/C just kinda' makes it easier. ;)

BUT, should the occasion arise that my boys and I would actually like her to come along, I really should have an air conditioning option. Now I'm not really excited about cutting holes in my teardrop. Not little holes, and surely not big holes! Even a small window unit makes a really big hole on a tear, so I've not settled on an A/C solution yet. I had my eyes on a Climate Right, but it appears they went out of business. Besides, even a Climate Right unit is rather big and ungainly. So, what to do...?

Then I discovered these mini-split units. They're pretty small, fairly attractive looking units (and it's not often that I offer an opinion regarding the attractiveness of another's unit), and their design appears to lend themselves to slide right into tight spaces; as in, through RV windows.

Anyway, I thought I'd share my discovery, because maybe someone out there is in the same situation and could use the information regarding options. Opinions, pro/con observations, and discussions are welcome. And yes, I know these are 110VAC, not 12VDC. So these are not good battery options. I do most of my camping in state parks, especially in the hot months. While I'm just fine "roughing it", my kids are still small and my wife is not a happy glamper without amenities like running water and shore power.

Both of these options can be found on Amazon if you like, and there are YouTube video reviews online as well:
https://ukoke.com/products/ukoke-uspc06 ... 3177613461

https://www.amazon.com/Ivation-Conditio ... B0BWFQNPJS
fossilboy50
Teardrop Inspector

Postby RJ Howell » Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:01 pm

I'm not the first one to mention this, but... I will build one later this fall for the house. I like how this guy worked out the ingredients to everyday items. Only electricity is fans to move air. How 'cool' is that. I've seen others doing this yet only two (he's one) I trust as real.

He has two videos out on this paint. This one has the recipe.

This is the second guy I follow.

He will take you on a real tech ride, but what he does works!

Pop some corn, grab a beverage and enjoy!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 2bits » Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:11 pm

I have a couple of friends (here in TX) who put a window unit on the tongue with a custom cover over the front that ducts in the cold air using an RV sewer hose and quick connect and then ducts out the room air exchange using an RV sewer hose on the other side of the camper and worked great for them for years
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion